California lawmaker introduces bill to legalize marijuana.

Discussion in 'General' started by Soap, Feb 24, 2009.

1. #1 Soap, Feb 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2009
  2. Fingers crossed

3. saw this on the news last night.
    i think its a pretty decent idea. You'll have to be 21 to buy it, and tax is 50 dollars an ounce.

i really hope it will be passed, but the DEA is already shitting their pants over it

4. I don't live California, but I'm gonna be knocking on wood all day.

5. wonder how much an O would cost if the tax is $50. if this passed, how long do you think until there are places you can actually go and buy nugs?

6. I dont even live in the States and i have my fingers crossed for you californians.

Something i dont think theyve even considered is the amount of tourists that are going to be literally flooding to cali... $1 billion in tax, $1 billion in extra tourism. You californians are gonna have a great time...

Btw, whats going down with this, the article i read on SF weeklys site wasnt very clear to someone unfamiliar with American ways of doing things...

Is this legislation to be voted on by the people of cali?
    Legislation to be voted on by, well, some sort of officials?
    Or is it just something which will become law on monday?

D.
    :smoke:

7. Hmmm i wouldnt be surpised if Cali succedes from the union after all that tax money...lol[​IMG]

8. lol

+rep, dschill.

Anyhow, good luck to the Californians for sure.

9. Colorado is planning to do the same thing.

10. the first bold thing i didnt even think of. thats way true, everyone would want to go to california to get some chronic legal weed.

and to the second thing, i think the people of california are going to vote on it..dont quote me on that tho

11. No, it's being voted on by the CA legislature

12. Which are? Im guessing some sort of higher officials like in the normal goverment?

Almost like the home secretary and the like but on a state level all with thier own individual jobs?

D.

13. wait a minute, is this a federal legalization bill, or just for the state of cali?

14. Just state. It sill illegal to federal.

15. which is why they can go to clubs and raid them. fucking feds

16. The legislative branch of California's state government is the one the makes the laws. There are two houses, one with 80 members and one with 40. The bill was introduced to the Assembly, which has 80 members. There's a more detailed description of the process here, but for brevity's sake, it goes through a series of committees that figure out if it's logical and whether or not it makes financial sense...then it gets voted on and if it passes, a similar bill has to go through the same steps in the other legislative house. If that passes a vote as well, the Governor either vetoes it or signs it into law.

17. That cleared it up pretty well... Sounds quite a long and complicated process.

How long would a process like this normally take?

I really hope it passes :)

D.

18. Everyone write to their representatives in support of this bill!

19. That's really cool. Think about it though, people aren't going to go to California just to get weed. I mean, possibly, yes, but think of all the cops that are going to patrol the border. Once you leave, they will be watching you.
    [​IMG]