California growers, help!

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Irishsmoke00, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Santa Cruz is about as chill as you can get. Not as pricey as some areas (SF) weather is good, people for the most part are chill. As stated above, there are a lot of ass holes out here, and even if they arent an ass hole, they should be treated as such... ie nobody can know. You start talkin about your grow, something is gonna happen.... no matter where you are.
    As i understand it, there is no such thing as a 99 plant card (NOT saying im all knowing and correct) because its the county you live in that sets the limits. some countys dont even allow for co-ops, and the 6 mature plant/12 imature plant rule stands. then places like santa cruz just have the 100 square foot canopy rule. fit as many as you can in 100 sq. ft. go over 99 plants and your in some serious federal shit. go over what the county deems legal and they might just hand you over to the feds. either way spells game over.
    avoid oakland. some parts arent bad, but most of it is hell imo. neighboring citys havent been so great lately either.
    so i say start looking into santa cruz, but (as stated) keep in mind the cost of living.... gas is still over $4 a gallon, marlboros are usually over $6 a pack, my cable/internet bill is $250 a month.... the list goes on. oh and a 9-5 isnt exactly easy to come by either...

2. Here's all the info youll ever need from the NORML website.Local Medical Marijuana Cultivation & Possession Guidelines Under California State Law SB 420 | California NORML Yes the 99 plant rule stands for caregivers. It's called a caregiver card.

Go to that page, hit ctrl+f and type in 99 plants and youll be taken directly to it. It DOES differ by county as stated above Peace.

P.s. Dude above me is spot on. Trust no one. You have no friends when it comes to crops. Loose lips sinks ships, old ww2 saying.

3. these last two guys are completly right . here in cali there is mother fuckers that all they do is look for crops to rip em . i know it sucks but its reality . not even the dispensaries are safe , as a matter of fact a couple of weeks ago a dispensary in long beach got robed at gun point . its just like prohibition back in the early days

4. Seriously thanks for the advice guys, you really dont know how much I apreciate it. Fist i am 100% growing inside, also I am going to be taking many a trips to Northern cali to check out susanville and other places in that area. (Any suggestion for places to check out or places to avoid?) Santa Cruz is 100% on my list to and is looking really good at this point, hopefully its as good for growing and chill as people say it is. Both my friend and I will be getting our Med cards, so is it a realistic goal to get my caretakers card and list my friend as my patient to be able to grow 99 plants?

If you guys got the time once again thanks a billion ahead of time. I think I will be using Ebb and Flow specifically this system ( Viagrow Ebb & Flow Hydroponic Tray System 3' x 3' V3X3COMP )
    Let me know if this is not a good choice for any reason. So a couple of questions for you that would really help me out.....
    1. For this system in my 4x4 grow tent, should I use a 600 or 1000 hps light? Also what light should i use for my vegging closet?
    2. Should consider using Ebb and Grow buckets instead of the tray? I can fit 9 5 gals into my tent but would only put a 6 bucket system in there.
    3. The system Ive shown comes with a EcoPlus Air pump, but should I still get Airstones? or are they useless for this type of grow?
    4. How many and which fans should I put in the tent? Ive read about CanFans, what are they exactly and how well do they work?

*5. My ventilation is limited im on the third floor of an apartment building and will be putting my grow tent in a a spare room with no windows. What should I do about fresh air? Should I consider getting CO2 tanks? I am open to DIY ideas*

6. What are the best advanced nutrients that I should be using for this type grow?
    7. Which are better incandescent or fluorescent lights?

*8. Using this system, 16 plant ebb n flow tray, would you suggest growing them as tall as i can and flowering longer (Dont know if its a good idea with a 4x4 grow tent) or should I go the SoG route and flower shorter and harvest faster?*

9. Pertaining to the question above, whichever way I decided to go, what would the ideal vegging/flowering time be for each type of grow?

Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated. This is the first grow of many and cant wait to start my life as an official pot farmer! lawlz

5. #25 rain dancer, Aug 21, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
    Ill answer a few of your questions. When it comes to hydroponics, I have no experience so can't offer any help there. I ordered a 4x4x7 tent off amazon for around 80 bucks after comparing them in person in store to the highly expensive ones and chose the cheaper because I run lights in the day and have a room setup to grow, so light leaks are no issue. When it comes to lights, I recommend 600watt over 1000w any day. 2 600watts is even better. The difference between a 600 and 1000 watt is a lot less heat, which means less electricity and the yields are nearly identical. I say this from first hand experience. Plus, for some reason 600 watts produce heavier buds in my experience. I ended up getting a quantum digital ballast, sun system 2 hood (after seeing a scientific experiment someone did trying the best hoods using a light meter to measure light intensity and moving the light away to see how much is lost. The sun system 2 won every time and the guy ended up taking all his other hoods back and this is a guy who had like 12 lights going at all times in a barn). Also, when I grow inside, I go all organic using soil, bat guano, black strap molasses, neem oil, and using lsting (low stress training) to maximize yield. The above has allowed me to pull 1lb or more from each plant and that's dry weight.

When it comes to getting your card, you're seriously putting waaaaay too much thought into it. It's as easy as a taking a piss in california. If you'd like, pm me and Ill pm you the place I went to get my card. You're overthinking it and worrying about things that will not effect you one bit. You pick up the card in bakersfield and move to any county you want. You'll be legit. Also, these plants are a lot of hardwork. If I was you, I'd just stick with the normal card for like 40-60 bucks and grow 6 at first until you get the hang of it. Otherwise any little mistake is going to cost you a lot more than you probably realize.

As for vegetative, you could try using a mh light, but personally, I couldnt justify the cost of those and using about 12 cfls in a diy growbox has been great for my plants in vegging, then putting them into a tent with 600 watt light for flowering.

I always tell people to dedicate at least 4-6 months for proper growing. Expect to take no vacations and your plants are like babies, so you have to check on them a lot throughout the day. It will get to the point that after a few grows, you'll know your plants and you'll understand the schedule of what to do. Some people veg for a month, some for a few weeks, some for a few months. It just depends on how big you want to let your plants get. I never cut or prune my plants at all, as that can shock them. Instead, lsting them allows them to be bent so that the hormones are rerouted. I ended up getting about 50 colas per plant. As stated in another thread on here, my buddy and I laughed during harvest because there were so many colas on each plant, we lost count.

I help a lot of growers in california setup organic grows. Have a few friends doing it now and I'm the go to guy when there's any kind of issue because I've spent many months reading this stuff religiously and have been growing for years, which means if there's a mistake to be made, I've already experienced it and know how to handle it. That's not to say I know it all but if you ever have any questions, feel free to shoot me a pm. I'll do all I can to help you diagnose or treat any issue and if I can't help, I'll direct you to someone who can.

Also, when you move into your new home, make sure you immediately replace every light in your house with cfls, the 13 watt ones. This will make your electric bill stay under 45-50 dollars. When I started growing, I changed all the lights in my house and then hooked up my grow room and my electric bill didn't go up at all, instead, it went down about 30 dollars per month. peace.