Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Calif. voters to decide whether to legalize pot

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by smr924, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Calif. voters to decide whether to legalize pot - Yahoo! News

Calif. voters to decide whether to legalize pot

[​IMG] \t \t \t
    \t
    [​IMG] AP – In this photo taken May 13, 2009 a grower holds a marijuana plant being grown for medical purposes inside …

By CATHY BUSSEWITZ, Associated Press Writer Cathy Bussewitz, Associated Press Writer – 34 mins ago
    SACRAMENTO, Calif. – California voters will decide whether to legalize recreational marijuana use for adults, after the secretary of state on Wednesday certified the initiative for the November ballot.
    It would become the first state to legalize recreational marijuana use if the proposition is approved. Marijuana use is legal for medicinal purposes in California and 14 other states, but the drug is illegal under federal law.
    Secretary of State Debra Bowen certified that the petitions seeking to place the question on the ballot had more than 433,971 valid voter signatures, the minimum number needed to qualify.
    If approved, the initiative would allow those 21 years and older to possess up to one ounce of marijuana, enough to roll several marijuana cigarettes. Residents also could cultivate the plant in limited quantities.
    The proposal would ban users from ingesting marijuana in public or smoking it while minors are present. It also would make it illegal to possess the drug on school grounds or drive while under its influence.
    Local governments would decide whether to permit and tax marijuana sales.
    "The tide has turned," said Dan Newman, a strategist with the campaign backing the measure. "The combination of the broken budget and dysfunctional cannabis laws have created the perfect storm for this initiative to pass in November."
    Opponents refer to marijuana as a gateway drug, meaning its use is believed to lead young people to try other, harder drugs. They worry that legalization would persuade more people to try it, worsening the nation's drug culture.
    "How can our kids say no when the adults around them are saying yes?" asked Aimee Hendle, a spokeswoman for Californians for Drug Free Youth.
    Proponents of the measure say legalizing marijuana could save the state $200 million a year by reducing public safety costs and could generate tax revenue for local governments.
    Stephen Gutwillig, California director for the Drug Policy Alliance, said certification of the ballot initiative marks a watershed moment in the decades-long struggle.
    "Banning marijuana outright has been a profound disaster, fueling a massive, increasingly brutal underground economy, wasting billions in scarce law enforcement resources and making criminals of countless law-abiding citizens," he said.
    The initiative is the second proposal to qualify for the November 2010 ballot. The other is a $11.1 billion water bond measure that was pushed by state lawmakers.

2. Yes...Did you read the article? lol

3. Is this for real? Or am I just spacing, I've been blowin'.

4. Its real, Bob. Get out and vote. Make sure your pets vote, and your dead Grandparents vote!:hello:

5. Go vote! Influence other states!! Lets get this beautiful plant legalized everywhere!!

6. So real there aint no point pinching yourself haha

7. EVERY damn California resident on this site had better vote for this, prop 8 showed that liberal reform isn't a guarantee in Cali so please, please vote, because the ignorant assholes always will

8. If approved, the initiative would allow those 21 years and older to possess up to one ounce of marijuana, enough to roll several marijuana cigarettes.

lol :smoking:

9. "Can't smoke in public places, can't smoke where kids are present, and can't bring Marijuana on school properties".

Ok, sounds reasonable, but if we can't smoke in public places.....then that's not really "legal", ciggerrate smokers smoke almost anywhere they want....its legal.

There's always a loophole.

10. I read this article in the paper today and I was blown away. A recent poll showed 56% wanted to legalize it! Up to an ounce and 25 sq. ft. of grow space for people over 21 to smoke and "share" as they like!

11. 1. Perfect my growing skills.
    2. Smoke some wicked gov't dank goodness.
    3. Ponder the fact that it's legal.

12. there are some people who bitch about the possibility of getting high secondhand from someone smoking so that is probably just in there to shut them the fuck up

13. i only ave one question about this whole marijuana is a ateway drug shenanigans.
    how the fuck do they KNOW?:confused::confused::confused:
    anyone?

14. Next step is figuring out how the boycott of pro-marijuana legislation can be ruled unlawful in the state of California!

15. Holy crap this better pass. I don't even live in California and I want it to pass :smoking::smoking::smoking::bongin:

16. You aren't allowed to drink alcohol in public places, so do you not consider alcohol legal?

17. I think the next eight months are going to be very interesting to say the least. I actually think it has a decent chance of passing, but it's going to be very interesting on how the media sways the issue. I already await the lulz fox news is sure to provide, especially one Mr. Bill O' Reilly.

I don't think that the restriction they are suggesting are that harsh. Over time I'm sure the public smoking would be reevaluated, or at least changed to allow Amsterdam-style "cafes" to have smoking permitted.

18. It will pass...Id rather it decriminalized than legalized

19. If you ask me, Humboldt growers are being very selfish and unreasonable. Just grow for your local dispensaries; sure, it's a loss of money, but not as much as to make it unprofitable.

20. I wouldn't. I would much rather have the opportunity to someday be smoking some ultra dank, government grown buds while walking down the street of my town. Legalization provides so many more opportunities than decriminalization. Plus the prices would take a nice big drop if it were to be legalized, unless the government really taxed the hell out of it.