Calif tax officials: Legal pot would rake in $1.4B

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by mendoman, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Found on Brietbart.com:

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - California tax officials say a state proposal to tax and regulate marijuana like alcohol would generate nearly $1.4 billion in revenue. A State Board Of Equalization report released Wednesday estimates marijuana retail sales would bring $990 million from a $50-per-ounce fee and $392 million in sales taxes.

The bill introduced by San Francisco Democratic Assemblyman Tom Ammiano in February would allow adults to legally possess, grow and sell marijuana.
    Ammiano has promoted the bill as a way to help bridge the state's $26.3 billion budget shortfall.

As the bill is written, the state could not begin collecting taxes under the bill until the federal government legalizes marijuana.

A spokesman says Ammiano plans to amend the bill to remove that provision.

2. That is a great thing for Cali. I wished Indiana would wise up.

3. $50 per ounce????:hello:

4. Way to go Cali

5. I live in IL...My brother lives in Cali...i know he'll vote for this...if the people get a chance to vote on this in California, it will pass....that means it will only be time others fall to it too. And the feds will have to dump the ban!

we are getting closer!:hello:

6. thats 50$ tax for an ounce+the actual cost

7. Man, this is a really great thing for a country! I remember in the 60's people saying that pot would be legal within the next 10 years, it's been too long! Anyways, if this goes through I may just have to move back to S.f

8. *Cough*Biblebeltwewillbethelaststate*Cough*

9. Im not sure how great its gonna be because the government will be regulating and taxing the weed. Im sure youll need all kinds of special licenses and permits to grow your own, just like tobacco.

10. So? If you were caught with weed on you, you could just say you bought it at a shop. It would be virtually impossible to stop people from growing a legal substance in the privacy of their own homes...