Calif. pot patient convicted in thief's death

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by oltex, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Calif. pot patient convicted in thief's death
    WashingtonPost / Associated Press / January 11, 2011

FRESNO, Calif. -- A California man who is authorized to grow marijuana under the state's medical marijuana law has been convicted of fatally shooting a man who was trying to steal his pot.

Phayvanh Dydouangphan of Fresno admitted firing a shotgun at a group of people he caught breaking into his backyard marijuana garden on Sept. 8, but said he acted in self-defense because they were armed.

But a jury accepted prosecutors' contention that the shooting was unjustified and convicted the 47-year-old Dydouangphan of voluntary manslaughter Tuesday in the death of 40-year-old Stanley Wallace. The slaying prompted Fresno County lawmakers to ban outdoor medical marijuana growing.

Dydouangphan faces a maximum prison term of 25 years to life when he is sentenced Feb. 9.

:eek:

2. Stupid people. All around.

Rule of thumb: Generally not okay to kill someone unless you reasonably think you're gonna get killed.

3. guys were armed, reason enough for me to shoot. ^you would be dead.

4. So, It's okay for your shit to get stolen, and you can't shoot them. What's the point of the 2nd Amendment?

5. We should also ban people from keeping their nice cars in the driveway.

6. trespassing on my private property, check

stealing on my property, check

armed on my property, check

yeah, you're probably getting shot

7. Exactly, FUCK YOU FRESNO! What a crock, I guess when they say "free country", it means we have the right to have our stuff stolen.

8. The history books tell about the big battles in Europe with Napoleon and others and the fact that after a big battle where thousands have died producing better crops than ever before,because of all the blood spilled in the battle.

I may not be able to test that theory on a large scale but if someone is stealing from me in my yard,I will give it a small test.

9. True that :devious:

10. Ignorant.

I agree, who knows how this would have ended if he tried to to reason with them, he was outnumbered anyway.

11. this sucks, what a bad position. catch 22, damned if you do, damned if you don´t.

12. damn thats too bad. he shouldve tazed em.