Calibrating PH meter

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Tommatt, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Yes, I know, simple right? But, I have a couple small problems with my plants, and PH is always the question. I want to make sure I did it right so I know I have an accurate PH reading, and eliminate that.

Basically I bought this Amazon.com: Hanna Instruments HI 7007M - 7.01 pH Buffer Solution: Industrial & Scientific Hanna 7.01 and Hanna 4.01 buffer solution. I poured it into a cup. I put my HM PH meter 200 (bought off amazon) dipped it in, hit calibrate. It auto calibrates. So this is how I calibrated it to 4.0 and 7.0

Correct right? I'm not supposed to mix the solution with water, but use the solution itself.

Again, just want to eliminate my meter reading off as a possible problem.

2. Yups - you use the solution full strength.
    Dont know exactly what the procedure is for calibrating your meter.
    With mine you put it in the calibration mode, then do the 7 and then do the 4.
    You might want to stick the probe back into the 7 solution while in the regular mode and check the reading.
    One of my hints / tricks is to know what the pH is of the storage solution so every time I turn the meter on I get a good idea of how close the meter is between calibrations.
    Also remember that the pH meter needs calibration twice a month.

3. Ok just wanted to make sure as I used non diluuted Hanna calibration solution. I think mine is the same (Hanna 200 about $80 amazon I believe) and I cal'd at 7, then 4, then 7 again. It detects the ph of the solution (Somehow) then auto calibrates to that level. It also has a temp meter :)

So with that, I now my PH is in check, so as for the problems I've been having (not with bud cola's) I know PH meter is not it. My ph strips read about 1.0 higher than my meter :(

4. If your pH meter reads 7 in the 7 solution - yer on - so dont worry too much.
    Also - after 20 years of reading pH strips I have yet to develop an eye that can read that accurately - it all depends on the light you are under as the photo of the standard colors does not reflect the same way the strip does.

Also - you can find much cheaper standards than $80 for 500 ml - shop around some of the lab supply places.

5. I do know my PH strips read a full 1.0 higher than my calibrated meter.

I thought the hanna PH buffer solutions were expensive, but seeing as how I figured it'd last, didn't sem that bad when it came to the life of my plants :)