Calcium Problem?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by backdraft, May 6, 2014.

1. Hey guys! 
      First time posting here but have been a browser for awhile now. Started to grow this Humboldt Blue Dream and I am starting to have some problems now. The seeds germed April 10th and was put directly into hydroton April 15th. Had no problems getting her to come up through the hydroton and everything looked good until a week or so ago I had noticed the leaves almost corkscrewing and turing yellow at spots then eventually brown. I gave it 1/4 strength Fox Farms Grow big and Big Bloom. It got worse. Now event the new growth has it. It looks to me like a lack of calcium but the whole corkscrewing thing has me baffled. They are growing in 5 gallon bubble buckets. PH maintained 5.8-6.1 and ppm around 300. 400w MH on her but only at 50%. The light is also about 48 inches from her top. She also seems awful short. Very short length between nodes. What do you guys think??

Attached Files:

2. Also almost forgot. 75 degrees all day and 36% humidity. The light is on 24 hours as well.

3. I guess I will try some cal-mag Nd see what happens. Not much more that I can do that I know of.

4. This is a big deal for me guys. No one can help? 

5. #5 tokenginger, May 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2014
    Snap a shot of the root system. Somethings up but dunno if its calcium... bump that 400 to 100% man. And whats your nute schedule... how much per 5 gallon? Also whats your ventilation like? Outside air? Recirculating?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. Outside ambient air is coming in. The roots look ok to me but I'll attach a pic. Maybe there is something I am missing. Tonight I did up the nutes to 100% and see what she looks like tomorrow. Should I up the lights more too? I'm baffled bc I can't exactly pin point the issue. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1399428700.718955.jpg

7. The twisted growth alarms me the most. Roots look good. Just fox nutes? No additives? Beneficials? H2O2? Stick to 100% nutes and 400w. This last part will sound weird but drop the water level to about 1-1.5" below the basket. Leave it like this for a week, untouched... no ph adjusting or whatever.

8. I add about a capful of hydrogen peroxide every week. Seems to help the roots stay heathy and balances my ph too. If I don't use that, my ph bounces around so much. I am going to lower the water and see what happens! Thank you!!

9. Yes only using Fox nutes. I am not very familiar with the other products so I naturally stayed away. Maybe in hydro I should be looking into those more?

10. #10 tokenginger, May 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2014
    Did you wash your hydroton? The water lowering is to remove the off chance your PH is swinging and causing weird stuff to happen. I switched from rockwool cubes to hydroton and its been nothing but a pain in my ass, but its the better option for potting my clones from my aero cloner.

And im never really a fan of two parters... more of a superstition than anything but Im happy with my GH flora series

11. I washed and washed and washed my hydroton. But I still didn't get everything. My first couple res change overs I still had shit in the bottom of the bucket. This is my first dwc so any suggestions deff helps!

12. I soak overnight in a STRONG h2o2 bath. Rinse in the morning with fresh water and good to go. I still avoid the water level rising to the basket.

13. I will remember that for next time! What happens if and when the water does rise to the bottom of the net pot?

14. Well if its not washed, Ph will rise and root rot is guaranteed. At least thats what I know of about my local store's supply. H2o2 bath kills anything hiding in the clay. Do you use a res or just independent bucket?

15. I use just independent buckets. 

16. Well as long as you dont overfill, itll never fill over the basket bottom :)

17. New growth looks much better but the old growth is staying the same.

Attached Files:

18. Yah youre gunna have to live with it... its a battle scar man.

19. So I thought I had this under control but apparently I do not. Here is a much better pic of what I'm dealing with. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1403544283.942937.jpg