Calcium Deficiency? Coco medium

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by mendeleyev, Dec 31, 2014.

1. #1 mendeleyev, Dec 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2014
    So, I have a Wonder Woman at about 3 weeks. She has some spots that look a bit rust colored, (I will provide pictures in my next post immediately after this one) and some disfigured leaves. 

I am growing in 100% coco and using a 3 gallon Smart pot. Immediately prior to posting this, I lifted my plant and saw that some roots were coming out of the bottom of my pot, through the cloth. I have my plant sitting directly on the floor, it is a bathroom shower. Maybe I should get it off the floor?

I use the general hydroponics series, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0024NDVRA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1, and I mix the micro first then the other two, as it calls for in the directions.

I use 1/4 tsp all three and add 1 tsb of Cal/mag. 

The temperature varies between about 73-85, humidity is around 30%.

pH kept around 6, my pH meter is verified using real pH meter calibration solutions at pH 4, 7, and 10, from my work (perk of being a scientist). ppm unavailable

Water is tap water, the water around here is pretty hard. My water, with my nutrients added and before I pH it is 7.5.

600 MH lights

I have a hard time believing this is a deficiency of calcium because I use cal/mag and tap water. 

Thanks for all thoughts and input

2. Your gonna have all sorts of deficiencies , excesses, salt build ups, ph issues, etc, etc, using coco as your media AS A NEWBIE. Why are not growing in soil...even better, organic? The problems with having to constantly monitor, constantly add, constantly fiddle wiyh this or that ALL BECAUSE you went with coco 100% instead of soil is just too much usually for a first timer. Organic soil or soil/coco is where its at Baby.

3. Put what your plant needs IN THE POT, then just give it drinks.......period. Teas when needed and thats it. ORGANIC.

4. That is a fair critique, but it doesn't address the situation at hand.

5. Yeah so by your logic all hydroponic growing is stupid right? You are unhelpful and close minded.

The way the holes are on your leaves makes me think it's pests.

6. I don't think so, I have a second plant of a different unknown strain from nirvana. (Came free with the order) and it is doing pretty well. Drinks like a god damn professional athlete.  No holes or disfiguration there. 

7. #8 BloodBooger, Dec 31, 2014
    Your logic is flawed. Lol. You wouldnt make it through Law School buddy. I wrote, and shall repeat so even you of little analysis can understand ....it makes no sense for ANYONE STARTING OUT to begin this wonderful endeavor by not keeping it simple and using soil. The variables are just too many (and imagine how many more will occur between THIS and THERE)....hydroponics are a SUPER TERRIFIC way to grow weed for someone with some basic experience and THE ABSOLUTE WORST WAY for a NEWBIE to begin. Catch where I'm going here or a re you a hydroponics nutrient salesman?

8. I am someone with a different opinion who isn't so close minded as to deem something "THE ABSOLUTE WORST WAY" to do something. I started with hydro and managed to do fine. I don't regret it, in fact I am glad I skipped soil because several of my friends have had trouble with pests like fungus gnats that are prone to soil. But I see the merits in recommending soil first because it reduces the complexity of the whole ordeal in some people's eyes but I think that it's simpler to test water and adjust nutrients and ph in this manner then it is to deal with dirt which is like a black box in terms of testing.

9. Growing a plant out to maturity in dirt is not only easier, its much much cheaper and requires hardly any start up costs. Hydo is a wonderful way to grow plants BUT it requires a degree of attention and detail that just isnt necessary in soil...especially if most of your attention was placed on building a proper nutrient rich soil to begin with. The issues of pests is overblown in regards to soil/coco growing. As far as I know, there are only a few ways to do all this properly and the absolute worst choice for a BEGINNER is hydro..and thats only if we are discussing cost...add in testing, the costs of nutrients, the constant attention to water, feed, ph, temp, pumps.. etc etc...can be a bit overwhelming to a newbie...not saying it cant be done...it is done by some well to start but I would hazard a guess that for MOST starting off, many many mistakes will be made whereas if they had started out organically in soil/coco these things wouldnt even be an issue...and lets be honest...hydro plants are not any better in the end than organically grown weed. So, its a matter of desire to constantly fiddle with the plants vs the desire not to and the benefits gained from both.

10. You are moving the goalpost my friend. We weren't discussing cost before so it's irrelevant, my claim has nothing to do with cost and you brought it up because there isn't any way to defend your stance from the position you were in without bringing up cost. Also, you call something the "absolute worst choice for a BEGINNER" but then qualify that statement by saying that's only if we are discussing cost. The thing is, we weren't discussing cost we were only discussing difficulty in learning/applying the method and also it doesn't make ANY sense to call something the absolute worst but then qualify it with a condition. In that case, it's not the absolute worst, it's conditionally the worst. Some people are impatient and it is better for them to have something to fiddle with like water levels in DWC vs if they had soil they would be over watering or simply "doing too much" for a soil grow. And for your final comment, hydro weed isn't "better" than organically grown weed if you compare nug to nug they can both reach equal levels of dankness but hydro grows plants the fastest and the biggest so if you compare yields, hydro is much better.

11. #13 BloodBooger, Dec 31, 2014
    WTF are you on about? You cant say 1+2=3 without putting in all the factors. Hydro is exponentially more complicated for a newbie to grasp than a simple dirt grow. Full stop. Your fluttering and squirming over one of the complicating factors just goes to show your argument is invalid. All your base are belong to us, lmao.

12. It's simply not true and too general of a statement. For some beginners, hydro is easier than soil. "full stop". ayy lmao