Calcium Carbonate Foliar Spray...?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by cazmeron, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Granted CO2 in a tank allows you to reach that theoretical maximum for Photosynthetic efficiency, 2000ppm. CalCarb claims it's equivalent to 1000ppm, Lithovit claims ~600ppm. I assume Lithovit has more accurate research seeing as it has been around for much longer, even so, double is better than nothing. Trying to raise CO2 in my 1000CF room is costly and inefficient...

2. #62 Zagnut, Sep 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2011
    --Try CO2 outside.

AgMan has demonstrated to a pretty high level that there is real science behind this concept, yet some are still too cheap to find out how much yield they may be bypassing, simply because they believe that calcium is supposed to cost less. It's false logic, and it may be false economy.

I wouldn't test something either, if I believed it would not work, but I'd be careful about believing I know more than I do and I would certainly not make statements that tend to dissuade others just on my hunch. Getting beat out of 20 bucks would not be the worst thing to happen to you, anyway, and It should be the science, and not the hype that motivates you to find out.

I seriously doubt that the eBay powder is the same size or finish, and those are critical to the science, so I won't be buying any. But I'm glad AgMan is willing to try it because we may learn something. I might contact the vendor to see what else I can find out.

I'm growing bigger autos now than I have all summer. Unfortunately it took all summer to master not making mistakes (for anyone who may be tempted, never put a sprout into a starter pot. It can only cost you time and in the case of autos, it's time you can never get back). The nice thing about autos is you can get the experience of several crops in a single season. I have made several changes including Cal-carb. I believe it is part of the improved result but I can't really try to prove that until next season. Autos are done in 10 weeks; less time for the stuff to work.

One thing I will say is that it's perhaps the last thing you need --after good nutes, grow media, pest control, etc. --when you can produce absolutely thriving plants, then add Cal-carb to see what it can improve.

3. So is this stuff BS or what?

4. I read this whole thread and it was littered with inconclusive information. I received some samples of Calcarb. Does it work or is it just baking soda?

5. I would be interested in knowing the answer

6. I got a bunch of free samples from work.
    I used it. They seem to like it, they are noticeably perky the next day.. Also it's a good preventative for PM. I can't for sure say it does what the label says but I just noticed a pick up in overall happiness..

The other products from extreme gardening are fire. Mykos WP and Azos are two things I always use. They are totally cost effective.

7. Here's an update, Dunny should appreciate this since it will provide I don't work for XG...

I am pissed a XG for seriously hiking their prices recently. I ran out of CalCarb and was not about to pay $50 for 12oz... I found this on ebay: Pure Clean Calcium Carbonate Limestone Powder 5 LBS CaCO3 Lime Fast USA Shipping | eBay

It seems to be working just the same as CalCarb for pennies on the dollar.

I started using Bio-Live (a Down to Earth product) instead of Mycos 30. I have also started making my own fertilizer that mimics the Canna line (and a PK boost that is virtually MOAB), and it has been stellar thus far. BioBoost is so stupid easy to make it is ridiculous to pay $110/liter... I make 2 gallons of it for $15-20...

I spent around $200 and made over $1000 worth of store bought shit.

8. Baking Soda is Sodium Bicarbonate, so no.

Look up LithoVit on google. Its European, and been around for over a decade. Lots of fields trial photos to be found. It makes a difference.

Don't buy calcarb or lithovit. Buy this for $1 per pound...

9. Here in lies the reason I don't get on here for more than a couple stints per year. If you actually read the whole thread you would have seen a lithovit reference.

Similarly, most people on here seem to think MJ is some magical plant that bears no similarity to any other plant and that research on one plant type has no bearing on MJ.... Its no wonder that the market is flooded with garbage.

10. I just got a sample of this stuff. I'll see if it does anything good... lol

11. If you like it, go to the eBay link above and get it for super cheap.

I asked my local grow store to talk to the XG rep and basically they said since it requires so little they hiked the price. My grow shop buddy said, "come on, we know what this is and how cheap it is", and the rep just shrugged his shoulders. I do like their products, but fuck them... I bought my last bag of azos and I am attempting to culture my own. I may continue to buy mykos, it has not jumped in price like everything else.

12. This doesn't work in larger highly ventilated systems; my room is completely ventilated every 50 seconds. CO2 injection of any kind does little in my setup. CalCarb does seem to work well for me. I guess since I don't use CalCarb anymore I should call it PPC (precipitated calcium carbonate).

13. Probably should read an entire thread before you post, that way you keep from looking like an idiot.

I do don't promote XG anymore, they are harpies in my eyes these days. If you like calcarb you can find PPC on eBay for about $1 per pound and it seems to work just as well. Kind of hard to line my pockets at a $1 per pound when you use 2 tablespoons per gallon once a week...

PS: If I lived in Africa I would assume zebras if I heard hoof-beats. Its all about perspective, something that comes from experience...

14. ignore me didn't notice that thread was necro

15. just trolling around this old thread. your information is false. Xtreme gardening information is misguided. baking soda is sodium bicarbonate. xtreme gardening calcarb is calcium carbonate decahydrate unlike limestone which are comprised of various crystalline forms of anhydrous calcium carbonate.

as for the reaction with the stoma reducing transpiration touted by xtreme gardening-- are we sure that this is a good thing? Sometimes, but not always. I say yes for cuttings, no for shoot growth. Anyway what the hell do i know..

16. I just got some CalCarb in and am doin a side by side ill post some pics soon. Overnight i noticed the plants perk up but too early to tell if it was due to CalCarb.

17. Ist been over 36 hours and I'm noticing a slight increase in growth. Leaves seem to be opening up more and reaching towards light. still too early to tell if it is worth the money. Also you can't foliar feed anything else to your plants for 36hrs and i like to spoil my ladies with cold processed kelp. I will know more in a week or 2 since its a time release. Anyone still reading this thread?

18. So far my side by side is proving that cal carb is just another gimmick. Sorry no pics just take my word for it. Still wanna try azos. i haven't given up on extreme gardening yet

19. any more info on a interesting subject??????