Cal-Mag Plus Questions

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by maddman, Oct 28, 2010.

1. So can someone please school me on this stuff. I am in coco/perlite/ewc. I have also sprinkled some pelleted lime on top.
    Questions:
    1) When should I start using it?
    2) How often?
    3) If I use molasses do I need to use it at all?
    4) Does this replace the need to flush?
    5) How much should I use per Gallon?

2. I have read this post already. In fact I have read it many times. The reason I ask these specific questions is because I am reading a bunch of information, which also includes Ed's Marine Cuisine thread (Awesome thread by the by), which contradicts itself.
    Examples:
    You are saying to use it "immediately" and with "every watering".

Ed says in the Coco-Guide:
    "If you are not using coco specific nutrients then you will need to use CalMag or Epsom salt or some equivalent supplement to correct the calcium issue that coco has, especially if you are using purified or distilled water. Just follow the directions on the bottle and add every time you use nutrients."

I have also read in other post that people are using it for every watering like you, and if I am not mistaken, I have read Ed has done this himself. I have 5 questions I would like answered. I don't mind the reply but please at least answer all the questions. As I see it you only answered 2.5 of the 5. I say 2.5 because I use molasses during the whole grow and not exclusively to flowering. Thanks:smoke:

3. #4 NaughtyDread, Oct 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2010

1. From seed doing this again, I would say hit it with 5ml at 3 wks of age
    2. How often? I am a new user of it as of today...I am going to hit it every other watering because I am currently correcting an issue...didnt feel comfortable with epsoms salt...calmag provided a little more punch...going forward probably every 4th watering.
    3. I have not used molasses so cannot answer the question correctly for you, however, from seeing Ed's info appears he has used both...
    4. This does not replace the need to flush...salts will still build up
    5. 5ml per gallon starting

Ed is no longer using RO water which apparently has made a difference...he felt his tap provided much needed calcium which the RO was removing...I am using marine cuisine but not coco specific nutrients...just guano and pelletized lime...and can tell you from experience over the last month that my Mg supply effectively ran out in about a month from repot from a one gallon to a two gallon bucket..whatever Mg was left was consumed during the first 2 weeks of flowering showing me an issue of praying leaves....over the last 3 days i have watered with a tbsp of epsoms per gallon of water phd to 5.9 and foliage sprayed which has reversed the issue...i got the calmag today in the effort to stop this.

4. will a Qt bottle be enough for 1 grow?, 7 to 9 plants?

5. a one Qt is plenty at 5ml which equals a tbsp per gallon....plenty to last for a very long time....

6. It's hard to overdue it with calmag, I've used it as much as 10ml/gallon every watering - nutes or not. With RO I was discovering that even the 10ml was not enough on it's own, so the dolomitic limestone solved that problem but I continued with calmag @ 5ml/gallon, it's just a good thing to use for coco (and soil for that matter!).

It's hard to appreciate the amount of magnesium these plants go through without battling the deficiency tooth and nail for months on end LOL A steady supply does wonders for growth.

Currently I don't use calmag, but I still supply a ton of calcium and magnesium by amending the coco with gypsum (pure calcium) and sul po mag, and using tap with some quality molasses in there. So far this is proving to be pretty good, I still see mag issues creeping in so I hit them with some epsom salt mixed in the water for a few days and that fixes it up really fast. I'll see how they do later in flowering, currently most using this method are about 2 weeks into flowering now.

Hope this helps some!

7. ^ this is very ture as I was fighting this same issue.

from the dungeon

8. what about a cheaper version like Cal-Max? anyone used this stuff?

the hydro shop has this it on sale this month (still got a few days left)

$17.50 for 1 gallon

the cal-mag is $18 a qt.

9. Thanks for the response. I too am a little skeptical to about Epson salt usage. It seems like Epson salt is a quick fix and not a long term solution. I liken it to using baking soda and not PH up, it's quick but sodium bicarbonate buildup is not good for a root system.

Does the usage of calmag eliminate the need for Epson salt? :smoke:

10. Thanks Ed for stopping by to answer my questions. Since I am only amending my coco with EWC should I expect to run into issues earlier than flowering? Since Cal-Mag is a 2-0-0 should I not use it on a seedling or will it be ok?

One more thing:
    Does anyone have a picture of what I should be watching out for?

11. I was using epsom for awhile as an organic amendment in my coco mixes to supply magnesium, but I think it was a little too much magnesium compared to the calcium I was supplying. Higher levels of mag (over calcium) can stunt root growth from what an organic guru told me, and sure enough my rootballs were smaller than when I was not using it as an amendment.

I think if had just upped my calcium it may have worked out better, but I decided to scrap the epsom as an amendment because I found sul po mag and really like that stuff a lot.

Epsom really works well as a fixer for sure - better and faster than anything else I've tried, and so far I haven't seen any ill effects from the usage but I'm a little cautious to not overdue it. I have been adding 1 tsp per quart to any plant I see showing signs of mag defs, and one application seems to correct it within days and lasts for a few weeks.

So I'd agree with the sentiments here, it's good as a fix but long term usage has it's potential dangers, especially if it has a lot of sodium. Read the labels carefully and look at the mag% (aim high on this), it won't take too many brands to see which is good for gardening and which are not. Garden centers usually have a better grade epsom, mine has somewhere around 11% I believe.

12. third page of my journal...oct 12 posting...6th picture...thought it was nitro burn but turned out to be Mg....if you look closely, you can see how the serrated edges of the leaf are curled upwards and the pale green color...

13. Great... Thanks a bunch. I am starting to get some curl up on my plant so I am thinking it may be due to a MG issue. I will definitely start using Cal-Mag today. :smoke:

14. I have been feeding a seedling that was planted monday and popped today, 1tsp cal-mag per gal and it looks fine so far. I plan on using 4ml cal-mag per gal every watering. I even rinsed the coco with this solution. I think its safe to use as directed on the bottle.

15. Lots of good info here! Correction --> One teaspoon is 5 ml. (source: google)

16. I know I am not answering your question but would it be possible, since you have some experience with drip systems, to look at my other post. Thanks :D

http://forum.grasscity.com/coco-coir/692459-claber-oasis-drip-watering-system.html

17. Contradictions all over the site. Treat coco like hydro. i feed every watering and they love it. Im doing an experiment and got two clones that's same genetics one is in coco other is dwc lets see what happens.

18. How's this experiment going?

19. Truth. have you all ever looked into baby water? it has magnesium sulfate, potassium bicarbonate, and calcium chloride already in it. Calcium and magnesium. for a lot cheaper than Cal-mag, and you can get it at any grocery store.