C21H30O2s' 1st time closet grow w/ 28W GlowPanel LED Grow Light

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by C21H30O2., May 24, 2011.

1. This will be my (and my gf's) first grow ever. The seeds are Northern Lights from some well reviewed Amsterdam seed site, I can't remember the name at the moment.

We've been germinating 6 seeds, 2 are germinated already so we went ahead and planted them after reading that leaving them with the others can drown the seed.

Plant: Northern Lights
    Place: Closet (5x2.5')
    Light: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Sunshine-Systems-LEDGP45-GlowPanel-Light/dp/B001N4NKB8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1306268040&sr=8-1"]GlowPanel 28W LED 45 LED Grow Light[/ame]

I will be updating this as the weeks progress.

First Photo: http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r90/heytheskyfell/May242011.jpg

Yes that bucket says Unus, other is Duo. We're planning on being fancy with a Latin numbering scheme hah. Hopefully we can get 4 more plans going in there. We're planning on keeping them relatively small, probably around 2 feet. I'm not sure what the closet will be able to hold so I'm going to watch it as it grows.

2. We'll apparently the seeds were put too far down into the soil so they're fucked. Going to plant some new ones once they're done germinating.

3. #3 naturesforce, May 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2011
    i would seriously consider getting yourselves equipped with some proper lighting

28w led panel just isnt going to cut it, you'd be lucky to grow a spliff with that, will probably do you to veg but it wont have the power to flower well.

good luck:smoke:

4. dont buy this LED light its totally rubbish you would do better with some CFLs if you carnt afford hps brov

5. Yeah this LED is really bad. If you want LED's go with Pro Source Worldwide, Advanced LED or Lighthouse Hydroponics. If you can't afford that, go with CFL or maybe T5.

6. #6 C21H30O2., May 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2011
    Damn really? Have you guys tried to grow with this light before?

I read a lot of reviews on LED Grow Lights on Amazon and Marijuana sites and this is unanimously the best one that I could get in my price range without having to spend a couple hundred. If you guys are just turned off by the W, remember - this is LED so it's going to have no where near the wattage but still provide just as much light as non-LED with more W.

And I have a HPS but that is going to be impossible to use inside in this Texas heat without having some serious heat issues. Plus I don't need to spend anymore on my electric bill than I already am.

edit: Changing lights is definitely out of the question since I've just spent $130 on this panel and I want to personally see how it does, but if it comes time to flower and it seems like it isn't cutting it, I might throw the HPS on there to finish or something but not unless I have to.

7. #7 TranceKid, May 29, 2011
    Last edited: May 29, 2011
    LEDs may not have the samewatts to a HPS/MH but can have equivalent "useable lumens". However, only the best LED panels are good because the cheaper panels say "same equivalent lumens as a 400w HPS" or "same as a 600w HPS" but this might be at like 4" away...If you have more than 2 plants, that might become a problem.:eek:

8. Ah, so you're saying while it can have appropriate lumens, the power of the light doesn't carry as far as non-LED lights?

Well I'm planning on growing 4 in a diamond pattern and not allowing them to get too big so I guess I'll just have to see how it goes. If need be maybe I'll throw some CFLs in there or something. I'll post photos as they progress so hopefully I'll get some feedback if they're looking under lit.

9. i dont have any personal experiences growing with led

i have seen and spoken to a couple a people on here who have told me wen i was looking into led, that even a 90watt ufo wont cut the mustard for flowering

like i said no percy exp though

i think it will veg1-2 plant really nicely actually, but when it comes time to flower if you find its not doing the trick(which you will!) and the hps isnt an option, get 2 45 watt cfls
    or something. the lower wattage cfls give off minimal heat and i think they'd supplement your led panel and work ok
    hope it helps
    :smoke:

10. eah if they start stretching, put in CFLs asap...

11. Much appreciated, and I definitely will do that. Just wondering, was that awhile ago when you were looking into LEDs? I think they're quite a bit better than they were just 2 years ago or so.

K.

12. By the way, I'm planning on keeping the panel as close as possible to the plants since it puts off hardly any heat so what am I going to be looking for in stretching since the light is already going to be right there? Any other signs that it is not receiving enough light?

13. Well you should have LED's as close as possible but you need to make sure it doesnt light burn the plant. Heat wouldn't be an issue but light burn possibly could. So put it realllly close until you start noticing a little burn and back it away just a tad until its just right. :)

14. it was actually recent like 2 months ago

i read and read and read, and what i found is, the leds which are good and will work, cost a fortune at the moment cos the technology is fairly new

theres also a lot of cowboy companys giving the good companys a bad name and a lot of inferior products around on ebay and amazon etc

these are often mis-labelled as a hydroponic "grow" light etc and will rival 400watthps blah blah blah

so then people buy them with false expectations, get dissapointed when they dont work and start bashing leds themselves when its really the companys that are mis-selling them.

the really expensive high power led panels DO work, ive seen some lovely plants on peoples journals on the web grown with these( search for irishboy on google and have a look at his)

technology obviously is moving all the time so hopefully, before long, prices will be driven down and the high wattage quality ones can become more accessable:wave:

15. #15 C21H30O2., Jul 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2011
    http://i56.tinypic.com/213odaw.jpg
    http://i55.tinypic.com/2n1u7vc.jpg
    http://i56.tinypic.com/jpveic.jpg

And idea about what's causing the curling?

I don't think it's a light/heat problem, only using 26W CFL and the leaves closest to the CFL doesn't seem to be affected. Most of these curls are at the tops of the plants.

Some curl down, another plant curling up (does it matter which way it curls?).

Few days ago I had a smaller, different plant curling which was under the Grow Panel, which definitely wasn't putting out too much light or heat.

Following the advice of my gardening mother, she had me watering a bit too much in the beginning so I got some droop & slight damage on lower leaves because of over watering. Now I'm doing it my way, and making sure not to over water again - so I don't think it should be over watering. Maybe under watering? My girlfriend and I water them every 2 or 3 days (when it gets dry 2 inches deep in soil).

Also, we're not using nutrients as of yet since the potting soil had nutes so I'm kinda waiting till they eat that up a little more. It shouldn't be that since they woulda been over fert @ the start.

I do live in Texas, and it has been hot enough for me to consider doing 18/6 with lights off during hottest portion of the day. That's what I thought was causing the curling, but now like today - it's not hot in the house at all and they're still curled.

tl;dr

Plants curling, lights not too close, no added nutes, has been hot inside house but is fine today - they're still curled, water only when soil gets dry 2 inch deep. Any ideas on cause of curling?

edit: Oh and update on the grow panel - I ended up having 6 plants sprout so grow panel wasn't going to cut it. I've got a setup to get most of out light (having plants share bulbs) and I've currently got 2x 26W CFL, 1x 13W CFL, & Grow Panel. About to buy a few more socket-things and throw 3 or 4 more 26W CFL in the next few days.