Bzar's movie reviews - Regular updates (Favourites, classics & more)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by SkunkRoller, Jan 25, 2020.

1. #1 SkunkRoller, Jan 25, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    Kingsman - The Secret Service 2014 (Review)

This is a movie I thought was worth reviewing. Eggsy a troubled youth finds himself being recruited into Kingsman a secret service by Harry Hart (Colin Firth). They set out to take down Richmond Valentine (Samuel L. Jackson) after he designs a radio frequency that sends people on a mad killing spree a literal fight to the death scenario. Eggsy's father saved Harry Hart in a conflict and leave Eggsy with a medallion with a phone number on the back and this literally leads him on his path to the secret service.

[​IMG]

After an engaging story-line and numerous adventures Eggsy finds himself in the forefront of the action fighting Valentine in his lair in a mountainside and takes on his role as a new recruit to the next level by defeating an army of men using wit and skill before finally taking down Richmond and defeating his sidekick a fiery woman with blades for legs. When the frequency was activated people went mad all over the entire globe but once and for all it ends peacefully with the people selected to take the human race into the future dying and the modern hero prevailing.

[​IMG]

This is a good movie for anyone who likes more laid back action but it never fails to please. The Story is always entertaining even after watching it 30 times. As Eggsy rises and some prospective members fail to complete tasks and get the boot the movie starts to heat up. The action is intense with some hand to hand combat, fire fights and crazy stunts.

[​IMG]

Below i have poster the trailer, Please watch this if you enjoyed the review you just might find it to be a favorite when you see it. I rate this movie 7/10 personally, your opinion might differ but it's up there for a modern movie.

Hope you all Enjoyed the first review.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Harold & Kumar - White Castle 2004 (Review)

Harold (John Cho) a nerdy Asian accountant and Kumar (Kal Penn) a fun loving Indian find themselves in this classic comedy about 2 stoners who are searching for the perfect munchies. After a quick intro straight into the story line the movie begins with them sitting on the couch getting mad baked. this leads to an action packed adventure to somehow get to white castle after several problems confront them.

[​IMG]

After scoring weed at a University, Harold getting bitten by a raccoon and crashing their car they eventually get closer to getting to the closest white castle. They eventually run into Neil Patrick Harris and pick him up needless to say he's high on something else and ends up stealing their car.

[​IMG]

At this point the two of them are frustrated that things aren't going their way when a police officer locks up Harold because Harold went to punch Kumar and hits the police officer booking him for jaywalking. The fun continues as they ride a cheetah and steal a car from local hooligans when Harold decides to man up and take action in a new found way in his life and they reach a cliff where they can see white castle. They take a hang glider off the stolen 4wd and proceed the glide down to White Castle as morning arrives and crash into a tree.

[​IMG]

Finally they get there when they crash to the ground across the road from the burger chain. And when they go to order their burgers Harold Realizes he has no money (A police officer stole it at the station) and that's when Neil Patrick Harris arises again and says he was craving burgers so bad after they mentioned it in the car that he had to go there and he finally returns the keys to the car and pays for their meals.

[​IMG]

Trailer attached below. This movie has great stoner value with a relatable story-line and out there antics that are funny for any stoner of any age. I highly recommend this to everyone, i rate it 6/10.

I hope you enjoyed my 2nd review.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. The Departed 2006 (Review)

[​IMG]

I have loved this movie for years and finally watched the first hour of it again tonight. I can't stress it enough that if you choose to watch this you can't really have a break or decide to watch the rest another time, to really enjoy the feel of the movie watch it when you have a spare few hours one night because this action packed mob flick will have you wanting more even when it finishes after 150 minutes of gangsters, cops and people running wild in a war on mafia figures.

[​IMG]

A part of the bio taken from Wikipedia as this is a hard movie to explain i personally haven't watched it properly in some time and it's hard to remember all the details as it has a jam packed story-line, long running time and plenty of scenes that i just cant remember

"In South Boston some years ago, Colin Sullivan, a young boy, is introduced to organized crime by the Irish-American mob boss Frank Costello. Over the years, Costello grooms him to become a mole inside the Massachusetts State Police. Sullivan is accepted into the Special Investigations Unit, which focuses on organized crime. Before graduating from the state police academy, William "Billy" Costigan Jr. is recruited by Captain Queenan and Staff Sergeant Dignam to go undercover, as his family ties to organized crime make him a perfect infiltrator. He drops out of the academy and serves time in prison on a fake assault charge to increase his credibility."

Frank costello is played by Jack Nicholson as always he plays his role to the letter and make so mistake he means business in this flick.

[​IMG]

Another piece of detail taken from wikipedia that explains the ending, which makes the movie (I haven't given away scenes or the plot as i want people to go in fresh) but the text below explains the ending which people probably wouldn't expect.

"Sullivan is unaware that Madolyn had an affair with Costigan when she tells Sullivan that she is pregnant with a son. Costigan forwards Madolyn inherited recordings of Costello's conversations incriminating Sullivan as Costello's mole, prompting Madolyn to abandon Sullivan. Costigan, determined to implicate Sullivan, ambushes Sullivan at the building where Queenan died and holds him at gunpoint. Trooper Brown, one of Costigan's friends in the academy, arrives as arranged by Costigan, but, suspicious, holds Costigan at gunpoint. Costigan attempts to justify his actions to Brown by exposing Sullivan as Costello's mole. Trooper Barrigan from Special Investigations arrives, kills both Costigan and Brown, and rescues Sullivan, revealing that he was a second mole for Costello, but Sullivan double-crosses Barrigan and kills him."

[​IMG]

A great Action movie, Trailer attached below, i rate this one 9/10.

I hope this review gives insight into a complex film.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Rush Hour 3 - 2007 (Review)

[​IMG]

A great action comedy featuring Chris Tucker and Jackie Chan. They play Lee (Jackie Chan) and Carter (Chris tucker) 2 cops who find themselves investigating the assassination attempt of Ambassador Han, a Chinese Official. After they are re-united with the ambassadors daughter and a second assassination is foiled and they get their first lead. They learn the name Genevieve.

This takes them to France where they meet the woman Genevieve and the action gets started up and they start to fight the Asian triads in a battle to get all the information. When Lee realizes his brother from the orphanage they grew up in is tied into the mess he has a conflict in what he believes is right and wrong and halfway through the movie he has a fight with carter and they go separate ways for a couple of scenes and come to be good friends again when they find out Genevieve is also a target of the triad assassins.

[​IMG]

All of the fighting is over a list called "Shy Shen" a list of the worlds current Triad leaders. They think she knows where it is but not only does she know it's tattooed on her head, the ancient tradition becomes known towards the end and the list gets out creating a free for all as people try to secure her to have her murdered and head removed so the list doesn't get out as they get ready to pick new leaders.

So as the movie progresses you can see that the story is a classic as it was in the first to but with a new twist at the end their friend George a lone taxi driver who wants to be a "Supercop" as stated by carter shoots the criminal who works for the world court and tried to also locate Shy Shen for his own dark reasons and the movie ends is true rush hour style with the classic War song.

[​IMG]

Trailer attached below, I enjoy this movie every time i watch it. Creative story, good actors and a fun but drama filled movie make for a enjoyable watch. I rate it 7/10.

• Winner Winner x 2
  5. Bruce Almighty 2003 (review)

[​IMG]

A great feel good movie. Bruce (Jim Carey) Finds himself struggling in his life and with work, he just can't seem to get a break. Finally God (Morgan Freeman) shows his several signs trying to get his attention. Finally he gets a page the day after losing his job and throws his pager out the window shattering it on a light post. The funny thing is it's still working even with a main wire disconnected, so he rings the number.

He then hears a message and at the end the voice says "Is your name Bruce" after listing all the bad things happening to him and he's intrigued so he goes down to the address mentioned by the recording where he meets God.

[​IMG]

After God gives him all his ability's he then tests his powers and can't believe his luck and tried to use the powers to get his wife back, get re-instated at his job and turn his luck around, though with the powers comes responsibility's like responding to prayers all around the world and maintaining order in society. This becomes too much for Bruce and he starts to lose his mind.

After some soul searching and understanding his purpose in life he plays by the rules and becomes an average man again who just wants to be amongst the people and eventually gets everything back that he needs and not what he wants (He gets his wife, job and luck back) and things start working out for him.

[​IMG]

This is a great movie if you like a story about someone who fights the odds and gets what he needs to be happy. Some stoner value but not a stoner movie itself. I rate it 6/10.

Trailer attached below.

• Winner Winner x 2
  6. Hey these are great reviews Dan much respect. You did a really good job on them my dude!!!

~Toni~

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Thanks, I'm going to do reviews on some stoner movies tonight!

• Winner Winner x 2
  8. Friday 1995 (Review) Stoner Edition #1

[​IMG]
    Chris Tucker and Ice Cube Star in the first installment of this trilogy as Craig Jones and Smokey. They expect friday will just be another day, But little do they know of the problem that they will be facing. It starts off like any other day, Craig (Ice Cube) has just lost his job and then his friend smokey rocks up to catch-up. While Craig and Smokey are lounging out front of Craigs house the local hustler Big Worm pulls over to collect money from smokey for some weed he's meant to be selling, but he doesn't have the funds (This leads to the problem later).

[​IMG]
    Even though Smokey is meant to be selling weed he is smoking it all getting into further debt with Big Worm. Eventually a thug from around the corner names Deebo (Tommy Lister) arrives and tries to use standover tactics on everyone in the neighborhood and he convinces smokey to B&E a house and Smokey goes along. Around this time smokey asks Craig if he wants to hit the joint and he does, he starts tripping but calms down after a few minutes. As the movie progresses Smokey continues to smoke Big Worms weed and halfway through the movie Big Worm is rolling through the hood in an ice cream truck and he calls Smokey over. He asks for the money and Smokey said him and Craig had been smoking it, Big Worm then tells Smokey if he doesn't have the money by 10pm that night him and Craig are gone for good.

[​IMG]
    After a bunch of scene's with a local drug addict, Deebo and locals from the neighborhood including Red one of Craig and Smokey's friends they find them selves getting shot at in a drive-by that night because they didn't have the money. After this Deebo hits the sister of a girl Craig likes and Craig and Deebo fight but the good prevail after Craig kicks his ass. After Deebo gets knocked out Smokey grabs the money Deebo stole of someone earlier in the movie and pays Big Worm and it all comes to an end with Craig getting the girl of his dreams and Smokey goes to rehab.
    [​IMG]
    A good movie if you want to see a fun adventure with some action and a taste of the ghetto. I rate it 6/10. I have attached the trailer below. Enjoy.

• Winner Winner x 2
  9. Pineapple Express 2008 (Review) Stoner edition #2

Overview: Stoner Dale Denton's (Seth Rogen) enjoyment of a rare strain of marijuana may prove fatal when he drops his roach in a panic after witnessing a murder. Upon learning that the fancy weed can be traced back to them, Dale and his dealer (James Franco) go on the lam, with a dangerous drug lord (Gary Cole) and crooked cop (Rosie Perez) hot on their heels.

[​IMG]

Dale is a process server and Saul is his dealer with a new strain of weed. Dale and Saul end up on the run with the rare weed using it to sell so they can buy supply's and other things while on the run. After a couple of scenes the movie picks up and they find themselves being arrested then they mention that there is a corrupt police officer involved in drug trafficking and murders.

[​IMG]

As the movie progresses Saul gets kidnapped and locked in a secret government laboratory where they used to test weed and then Dale and Red (Their supplier who scores from Ted Jones) Man up with weapons and hop into a hatchback to go save Saul. Things don't go to plan and then Dale is also locked up in a room then they play their escape.

[​IMG]

The Asian mobsters come into the Facility killing all of Teds henchmen after their boss was killed at the beginning of the adventure. After Dale and Saul escape they finish the job and everyone goes home happy. In this movie you'll find action, comedy, fun and some scenes with people smoking the precious herb. I have attached the trailer below.

I rate this movie 7/10, it's a good watch if you want something somewhat interesting but more about friendship and the herb.

• Winner Winner x 2
  10. Going to write up some action movie reviews tomorrow night. Hopefully people are enjoying these reviews so far, peace y'all.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Bad Boys For Life (2020)

Starring: Martin Lawrence and Will Smith.

[​IMG]

Google overview,
    "The wife and son of a Mexican drug lord embark on a vengeful quest to kill all those involved in his trial and imprisonment -- including Miami Detective Mike Lowrey. When Mike gets wounded, he teams up with partner Marcus Burnett and AMMO -- a special tactical squad -- to bring the culprits to justice. But the old-school, wisecracking cops must soon learn to get along with their new elite counterparts if they are to take down the vicious cartel that threatens their lives."

[​IMG]

The movie starts with Marcus holding his new grandchild and some wild driving by Mike Lowrey. As the movie gets on from the re-introduction it gets heavy with the story unfolding. I've only watched it once but i highly recommed seeing this final movie in the series.

Details from Wiki,
    "Isabel Aretas, widow of cartel kingpin Benito, escapes from a Mexican prison with the aid of her son Armando. Isabel sends Armando to Miami, tasking him with recovering a substantial stash of money his father Benito had hidden, as well as assassinating the people responsible for his father's arrest and eventual death in prison. Isabel demands that Armando kill Miami detective Mike Lowrey last.

In Miami, Mike accompanies his partner Marcus Burnett to the birth of his first grandson. Desiring to spend more time with his family, the aging Marcus tells Mike he intends to retire, to Mike's chagrin. During a party celebrating Marcus' grandson, Mike is shot by Armando and left in a coma for months. Chastised by Isabel for targeting Mike first, Armando continues to assassinate other targets on his list during Mike's convalescence.

[​IMG]

Following Mike's recovery, he is determined to seek revenge and unsuccessfully attempts to recruit the now-retired Marcus, causing a fall out between them. Mike violently obtains the identity of arms dealer Booker Grassie from an informant. Realizing that Mike will not heed orders to stay away from the investigation, Captain Howard reluctantly allows him to work with the tech-driven team in charge, the Advanced Miami Metro Operations (AMMO), led by Mike's ex-girlfriend Rita. While the team surveils Grassie at an arms deal, Mike determines that the buyers intend to kill Grassie and intervenes, but fails to save him. Later, Marcus is called by Carver Remy, an old informant who believes the assassin is after him. Marcus contacts Mike and the pair travel to Carver, but are too late to save him. Armando escapes after a fistfight with Mike."

I rate this movie 10/10, only because the first 2 are just as good a great series. Trailer below.