by popular demand 'froggys Jack Herer'

Discussion in 'Marijuana Grow Journals' started by froggy, Dec 18, 2003.

1. the male has been 'tipped' about once a week and im letting the bottom grow out. less chance of bottom flowers than upper flowers and i dont want to turn him 'on' till im good and ready. tho i only have Jack growing so it doesnt matter.

and yes i took off some 'fan leaves' that were on the inside of the grow to allow more light. they are healthy enough to handle something like that. a little is fine, a lot starts to stunt growth. i prob took off all the leaves im gonna.

fyi, my plan was to watch the older 2 flower and mature and seed the younger pruned one a little later in the grow.
    im gonna try to grow some of these seeds outside. ill betchya they will put on some serious weight in the wonderful sunlight.

2. So that male is in the flower box but its not flowering? Does it have any pods? With my experience with bonzai the over pruned plants go into flower even without 12/12.

3. That's false. I have grown under both 24/0 lighting and 18/6. I find that the stretch of the plant is determined by it's genetics and how far from the light you have your plants.

I do find that an 18/6 lighting pattern promotes better root growth/developement. A good root system provides excellent buds. 24/0 light pattern is not a natural cycle for the plant. The sun does go down correct...? A plant needs a rest to break down and distribute all of the sugars and nutrients to the rest of the plant. Cell wall structure during the first 4 weeks of vegging is highly crucial. The plant needs it's dark photoperiod during vegging to do this.

An interesting thing to note is that plants under a 24/0 light cycle tend to droop a little more than plants under a 18/6. It's because the plants are weighed down with a build up of sugars and nutrients that can't be distributed correctly to the rest of the plant. Thus, people tend to think it needs to be watered or fed nutes, this can create problems if over done.

Just my 2 cents worth.......

5. the male is in 24/0 box until im ready to flower him.

as to sleeping, i would agree. there is a natural build up of unused sugars and others that maybe arnt used up. and i have also noticed that drooping charictorist. its prob because the plant is not doing as much resporation because its not sleeping.

as to the root being larger, i would also agree with that because the plant isnt sleeping and respiring which is a major time for plants to make root systems.

but i still havnt seen anything that tells me that my plants grow bigger and stronger with 18/6 or 24/0.

one thing that i have noticed tho, the plants dont show flower as fast with 24/0 than 18/6.

i guess its just a matter of preferences. im not afraid of change but i do need a reason for it. also...i would need a timer for 18/6 :)

6. I hear ya bro'... I was just offering up some info. You seem to know your way to a decent harvest.

Two of the most important growing accessories I have are a pH pen and a good timer. I am forgetful when stoned, so the timer is HIGHLY essential for my vegging and flowering cycles. My water proof pH pen has increased my plants' health and yeilds 10 times over. Water's pH can be the difference between a successful/failed crop.

7. I agree that nicely aerated soil is a must....:). I use Fox Farm "Ocean Forest" organic soil. It is great stuff. The mixture of perlite and sand makes for excellent drainage. No pockets of water are left behind that help build up a compaction of the soil towards the base of the container. This is where you will see root rot start to occur in early vegitating plants if proper drainage isn't available.

8. day 78

under the eery glow of HPS

the twins are starting to put on some weight. voluptuous!

Attached Files:

9. day 82

its sunday, its snowing out so i thought id draw some pictures.

here she is, a full 28" tall. she is starting to fill out nicely. trichromes everywhere

i wish i would have tipped them like i tip all my other plants.

Attached Files:

10. ive let the other one go so u can see where im drawing.

where i have drawn on a leaf, is a faint line of trichromes. this is a fan leaf! u can see the dusting on the leaves from about the node that i starting drawing on to the tip.

i tried to get a good side shot of the leaf im calling "L"
    look at that texture that far out on a fan leaf. 'DROOL'

Attached Files:

• gc3.jpg
      gc3.jpg
      File size:
      57.8 KB
      Views:
  11. this is "L" close up

im sorry my camera sux.

can u see how far out its producing resin?

im getting impressed

ive highlighted just the major areas. u cant see it but the whole top has a light layer everywhere. very appealing. maybe this really is everything, then some, like ppl say.

Attached Files:

• gc2.jpg
      gc2.jpg
      File size:
      49.1 KB
      Views:
  12. very nicely layed out. this is prob the farthest down a plant that ive seen fan leaves get these layers of resin.

hope it tastes as good as it looks

Attached Files:

• gc4.jpg
      gc4.jpg
      File size:
      32.8 KB
      Views:
  13. okay i have not ever really sat down and read up on genetics of plants, but from what ive read so far on your journal, it seems Jack is "supposedly" a difficult strain to grow and flower. i am in no way tryin to disrespect you in any sort of way or have you take offense to what im asking. is this strain easy for you to grow because of your 20+ years exp? from what i can see, it looks like the only problems you had was when you germinated them. as far as im concerned thats all the distributors fault. is it a hard strain to germinate or is it hard to grow? because you my friend have defently (sp) prooved some people wrong!

14. thanks man :)

well i have not cloned it. and i have not had the strain more than 1 generation. both which i eventually plan to do.

but i think it was very hard to germ. and i had a damp off. ive never had a damp off. tells me its weak.

but once u get past that baby stage, i think its been easy to grow. was very manageable growth rate. i know next time im gonna tip em just how i like em.

to answer ur q, yes and no. yes its hard but not unmanageable (again this is only first generation). and now that they are growing, no diff than any other grow.

15. "day 82

its sunday, its snowing out so i thought id draw some pictures"

looks like it was snowing inside too :D Thats a great strain! I'll look into it in the future. So did you end up making seeds? Hows the smell?

dread i think your bagseed strains were harder to grow with your indica's being touchy with ferts and the sativas taking so long to flower, and not all newbs have that much patience.

16. ill make some seeds in a few weeks, when the 2 bigger ladies are about all done.

17. thats a prity good grow keep the pics comin

18. Froggy how long does it take from polination till the seeds are ready?

19. looking great...... those leave will make some killer hash....

20. had an extra bud shot thismorning so i thought id add it.

day 90ish

Attached Files: