Buying new car battery

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by GreenTheGiant, Feb 16, 2013.

1. o i know how to install a new battery what i dont know is what type i need to purchase. will any battery do as long as it fits??

2. No you will simply go to a parts store and give them the make model year and engine displacement and they will give you the appropriate battery you will return your old one and they will return a fee called a core charge usually like 11 bucks. make sure you get that core charge it is better then having a toxic leaking chemical spill in your yard or garage.if you have an electric or hybrid you have to go to the dealership. battery is not hard to to change most times the place you buy it from will stab it in for you free or at very little charge. i suggest you do it yourself If you are ever reasonably mechanically inclined.

3. Most cars today that is modern cars have very similar batteries but there are some differences depending mostly on the mounting system and strapping situation in your cars engine compartment. Some have little ridges other have bottom facing bolts other strap over the top or have side posts although i have not seen a side post in a while. Also you could simply take your battery out and get a ride to the part store and say gimme one of these.

4. Two words: yellow top

5. Do your homework before you buy a battery. Even though parts stores will provide "free" installation most will charge 20% more for the same battery as can be found elsewhere. Go on-line and find what size and style battery your car takes and use that info to shop around....you'll save a lot of money...

6. Removal: Unhook negative battery cable, then positive battery cable. Install: Hook up positive battery cable, then negative battery cable.

7. go to autozone. go to front counter. tell them you need a new battery for your yyyy car model and they'll get it for you and install it for free. pretty easy lol

8. You'll need a 8mm, 10mm, and a 13mm socket at the most. 13mm being for the hold down.
    Expect to pay 100+ for anything with a decent warranty. Bout $134 for a duralast gold, 3 year free replacement, 5 year pro-rated. (I work at autozone)

9. Get yourself a yellowtop, I'm not kidding.

Those things are heavy duty, and last for years and years.

They pretty much act as a capacitor/battery in one.

10. I had a yellowtop in my old car when they were having recalls/issues at the time, maybe 4 years ago? Alot of yellowtops were going bad at that time

I didn't want to buy another Optima so I went with the cheap stuff, still lasts 5-6 years for me easily

I take care of my stuff though, I have a battery tender in the garage so I plug it in if I don't drive for more than 3-4 days

Advance Auto and autozone both install batteries for free, atleast here they do

11. Yeah they had their problems I'm the past but they fixed it. If you're not running an aftermarket stereo system and you don't leave your accessories running without the engine running a yellow top is too expensive. For me I sit in my car a lot listening to music I have a decent system so I went with a yellow top. I don't worry about sitting with my car off for a long period of time with tunes playing.

If you just want a replacement battery and not an (upgraded) one go interstate they are about the same as any other and you'll get great life out of it.

Tip: try and go to a small business. My shop carries a smaller number of batteries but we have an interstate guy that comes weekly and takes batteries that have been sitting on our shelves for X/ number of days and gives us a fresh one. At O'Riley's and autozone a battery will sit there till its sold. You may get one that's not... I guess as fresh as it could be? Not dead but ya get the idea.

12. <span>Hi everyone I'm new here and I have a similar problem. I understood the theory itself as and when i need to replace the battery (thanks to video and website).
    But I have a problem: I recently bought an old Megan, and so the battery is installed in it for 750 amps. But I looked at all the directories that it should stand on the 550 amp battery (engine 1.4).
    How good is charging my battery at 750 amps? Because the generator is targeted to battery 550 amps.</span>