buying my first bong... need your help!

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by SHARQ, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Hey guys, i'm looking to purchase my first bong... I have a question...

First, how important are ice-catchers...? I was looking at purchasing the WS Slim-Jim 2.0 ICE but now it's out of stock, however the non ice-catching version is still in stock. Does it really matter?

Basically I'm looking for an affordable glass bong... the reviews on the Slim-Jim models are all very good so that's what i was looking at. There's also the Weed Star Payday model which comes in ice and non-ice versions which is pretty similar except not as tall. Anyone have any other suggestions for a decent bong for around or less than < $50? I don't need anything too crazy!

cheers!:bongin:

2. #3 RepentYeNbelievethegospel, Aug 11, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
    To be completly honest with you, most experienced bong smokers almost never use ice.
    It's only important if you feel it is, it may be a good thing to have.

Don't get that thin cheap glass.

On Etsy.com there's a seller abbreviated as SSFG. just Google search travel tube with diffy and slide etsy and you'll find the shop on Etsy that SSFG stands for. That mini travel tube comes with a diffused downstem AND slide! And it's only $50 shipped!! It's a great deal, nice and simple and solid.

Pro tip: don't get anything taller then 18" because that's the standard talk tube and is actually very big, plus the bigger it is, the harder it'll be to clean, store, and maintain.

3. Thanks for the advice guys... looks like i have some shopping to do.

4. Honestly I thought it was important and at first I was like, "cool, ice-catches", but honestly it's just more of a hassle than anything. The ice melts and drains into the perc and then I have to blow it into the bottom where the downstem is and drain it from there. I've used ice maybe once or twice.

5. #6 SHARQ, Aug 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2010
    Also, this question may seem super noob-ish but can you just put a cube or two in the bottom of the bong with the water

EDIT: assuming it's just a straight tube with no perc or ice catches or anything.

6. Yeah, if you wanted. Probably wouldn't make a huge difference though to be honest. As long as it fits down the tube and there are no pinches/percs it'll fit.

Sometimes as my ice melts and gets small it falls down into the water in my tube.

But like NYC said, most experienced smokers dont use ice. I never use ice in my SG Stemline because it fucks up the water levels, and with the Stemline it's all about having perfect water levels. The ice does cool the hit WAYYY down, but after an hour you're chug-alug-lugging from all the water. Then again the Stemline does a fucking good job at diffusing in the first place, so the hits are already smooth to begin with.