Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Buying My First Bong, Need Advice

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by Pix3l, Jul 2, 2014.

1. #1 Pix3l, Jul 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2014
    Alright, so I'm in the market for my first bong. I used to use a bubbler, but it broke and I bought a cheap spoon, which gives me really harsh hits and doesn't seem to get me as high. I've never smoked out of a bong, but heard its the best smoking experience. 

After looking through a bunch of different bongs, I'm stuck between this cheap bong: http://www.grasscity.com/us_en/glass-bong-4.html#.U7NUwPldVA0 or this nice <a>bong: http://www.grasscity.com/us_en/black-leaf-3-arm-tree-percolator-ice-tube-ashcatcher-blue.html#.U7NOKfldVA0</a>

I really want the second one, but I'm hurting on cash so it'd be a real expense for me. I really like the style of the bowl with the ash catcher, and the fact that I can put ice in it. If anyone has any suggestions of a similar bong that is cheaper, please let me know. 

Should I go for the second one, or just grab the first one? Any other suggestions of good first-timer bongs? 

Thanks  :bongin:

2. i would personally go to a head shop and buy the cheapest glass on glass bong they have (probably like 90 bucks) but if you're under 18 (which you shouldnt be) and cant go to head shop then just get the cheaper one of the two. you can get a much nicer bong when you have the money. but definitely get glass

3. If you're going to buy a bong, you have to spend more than 15 bucks. Also how old are you? Are you too young for a job? If you have a job then you can afford the second one easy. But just go to your local head shop (LHS) because then you can see it up close in your hands, and you can haggle with the owners to down the price

4. If you're on a budget, skip the ash catcher.  They're pretty worthless I think, just kinda not worth the extra cleaning and changing of water.  For me, a good basic bong is just a straight tube, 16-18 inches, and it's all about the diffused downstem.  Spend the extra coin for a nice diffuser with holes.  The ones with slots do pretty good, but you can really notice the difference.  Plan on spending atleast 60 for a legit setup.

5. Honestly I'd buy from craigslist or eBay or something. Head shops get really expensive and since you're on a budget go local. Plus it'd be quicker to get if you're in a rush.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

6. Yeah, I'm 20, so I can def go to a local headshop. I live in Burlington, VT so we have a good amount of headshops around here. I guess my aversion to going into a headshop is that I don't know what to ask about and how to ask it so they don't get in trouble (do I call it a water pipe, or is bong okay?). 

Alright, I'll skip the ash catcher to save the cash, but I'll make sure to get something with a diffuser with holes! Thanks for the help! 

7. #8 SH0T3, Jul 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2014
    Don't call it a bong call it a water pipe. Basically just don't say or mention anything about weed, just say tobacco instead. Everyone who works in a headshop smokes and more than likely has a bong as well so they usually know their shit and are really helpful especially when it's someones first purchase or is new to pipes. It also doesn't hurt to shop around and check out different shops prices and products.

Either way good luck with your new purchase, I bought my first bong last summer for $150 at a local headshop. Really nice glass on glass bong with a perc that's about 2 ft tall.

8. #9 catontherun2, Jul 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2014

You know what, I'd actually argue that headshops are cheaper. Just gotta frequent 2 or 3 headshops and get to know the employees. Their shit is overpriced and they know it, you could easily drop 10-20% off the price if you're cool with the worker. 

In my case, I went to high school with the dude and I bought a 150 dollar bong which came with a free 80 dollar bong. 

9. when you walk in make sure you tell them that your looking for a bong to smoke tht green.

They'll hook you up :ey:

10. id say the opposite. straight tube stemless single perc, diffused ashcatcher. it makes a good deal of difference.

11. You want a magic glass bong. There is a video of them just bashing one on some wood.. no breaks.

Get a beaker base, not a thin plate base. The plates always break. ALWAYS.

Think of a bong as a 50-100 dollar monthly tax. Thats why you need one of borosilicate glass. 

Keep it low to the ground, don't fill it up just anywhere.. use a big open sink with a towel down.. enamel and porcelain eat bongs.

Trust me I've spent probably as much on bongs as i have on weed.. get one you can't break, one you can accessorize.

12. Buy something local, also don't spend much for your first bong especially if you don't normally use them. Bongs break easyy