Buying first car soon

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by OGKushBlazer, Jun 6, 2011.

1. lol quote from the ad

"It has $124,000 original miles on it."

lol why the fuck is that there?

2. idk it's craigslist

3. pretty clean throw some d's on that bitch

4. for $2000 you can get an '01 kia rio, or a mazda protege. just sayin'.

5. Yep, a lot more economical. Newer car, more reliable , better mpgs and possibly better resale value.

6. Don't buy that. You're going to be constantly stranded and kicking the fucking thing because it's a GM. Cadillac's are not good cars.

For $2000, you can find yourself a 93-95 Honda Civic in excellent shape (Make sure it's had the 60k services); it'll get great gas mileage (probably average 33 or so, depending on your habits) and be reliable as fuck until you decide to sell it ten years from now.

Get yourself something you won't have to be constantly dumping money into and always has something wrong with it.

7. #8 MaDKroniK, Jun 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2011

Rofl... A bit biased? Also, 2 grand is considerably low-ballin for a Civic.

If you take care of the car, it will take of you. With that being said, OP, I'd definantly stay away from Cadillac's(especially that one) when you want to spend somewhere around 2grand. Especially older Cadillac's, it will eventually be a money pit and Cadillac's aren't cheap to fix.

Your best bet is to look through your local newpaper. I've always had much better results looking for vehicles in the newpapers as opposed to CL, Autotrader, etc... For instance, the last car I bought was a 91' Caprice, 42k original miles, 1 owner, its mint. I got it for 3500$, 5 years later, im at 111k and not once has it caused me a problem. Also, try to buy the car local as well so you can see it in person, test drive it,look over the whole car. You want to make sure the person you are buying the car off of took care of the vehicle. You really dont want to have to travel to the middle of nowhere only to pick up a POS. It takes time to find the "right" car.

8. #9 Illuminator, Jun 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2011
    I'm definitely biased. They're pretty consistently on Consumer Report's shit list. Moreover, every GM I've ever ridden in feels cheap and rattles.

As for Civics, I've found countless Civics under $2000, some in terrible shape, others in fantastic shape. I picked up a Civic with a very minor amount of rust spots, but perfect mechanical condition for $1800 a couple of years ago; it was the best car I'd ever owned.

I'm simply trying to point out to OP, when you're young and buying your first car, you want something cool. But, that feeling quickly fades when you're dealing with a car that is constantly breaking down or has "little" issues constantly cropping-up. It's frustrating to have to deal with that type of stuff on a regular basis, I know from experience.

Edit: I should say, EG Civics. The kind from 92-95. You can find even older ones for much, much cheaper.

9. The car is on the Eastside of Madison, so it's in my area.