Buying first car, short budget

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by glazedKnuckles, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Hey homies, the title explains it all. I have about $4800 to spend, and I'm one of the most indecisive mofos on the planet. I live near Sacramento, that's where I've been looking on Craigslist.

I've been looking for a couple months, and I've been feeling some of the 98-2000 740i's on there, I was just wondering if I could get something better for the money? I prefer a coupe, and automatic

2. 95 240sx s14 nissan

Id check that out, dunno bout you but i love the 240's. Kinda need a bit more input though, like what is it used for? Just a dd? (daily driver). You wanna modify it? Wanna get dem bitches?

3. #3 Tamataz, Feb 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2012
    Don't get a 740i unless you have a big wallet. Big engined luxury car that is very complicated thus expensive to fix. If you are thinking of BMW, i would look at 3 series.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/2802722265.html
    Its a standard, but they are way funner that way!

4. I was looking at the 3 series...I really like the 7s though. I know, even though I think I understand it'll be expensive, I won't really know until I have to pay for it.

They're just...fast, ya know? I like that...fast

5. Before you fall in love with any car google parts and labor costs for common things like brake parts, clutch parts and so on, will really help your decision...

6. #6 Optical, Feb 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2012
    The 3, 5 and 7 series generally share engines. So if you want a fast BMW you're better off going for a 3 or 5 series as they're lighter and therefore quicker. Also, most of the v8s will see you spending a decent amount in maintenance.

So with that in mind, go for a 3 series.. (especially if you want a coupe.. as the 5 and 7 series are not coupes) with the 2.8, 3.0 or m3 6-cyl. Again, remembering that any ///m WILL cost you in maintenance.

TBH, you're better off going for a 3 or 5 series, with a 3.0l or smaller 6-cyl as far as maintenance is concerned, plus they're much lighter than a 7 series and therefore faster, like for like. Also, avoid automatic unless you have too.

7. thats really clean lookin but its 4500 dollars and "only" has 210 000 miles. e30's may be more expensive left coast but over here i wouldnt pay that. then again if you want fast a ls1 will fit in that e30

8. Not coupe but looks pretty clean - BMW 328i AUTOMATIC 102K EXCELENT CONDITION

Personally if your on a short budget I would stay away from anything German. The parts and maintenance will fuck you over. Best case scenario I would go for either a Japanese ( preferable ) or Korean import.

9. I honestly forgot I made this thread. In my high state, I thought coupe meant 4 door.

So, not coupe. But its not going to be an issue anymore, I appreciate the help from everybody.

But uh...yeah. Dead thread

10. I'm going to assume that you are looking for the most reliable car which would be affordable to fix if something goes wrong.

I would recommend a Honda Accord. CL prices on the Accords in your price range buy you an awesome value, and they are very reliable and cheap to fix.

Best of luck, and get a mechanic to look over the car. A Honda mechanic, preferably one you can get a good recommendation from someone else for that.

11. I bought a cadillac, cheap price when you buy em, first repair was $1000. Don't buy a luxury for a first car, unless you making big change

12. I'll never buy another BMW again. It probably spent more time in the shop than anything, and they're next to impossible to work on yourself. Nor are they that fast.

A VW Passat Turbo is helluva lot faster - then again, I wouldn't buy another one of those either.

Buy American. You won't regret it. There's plenty of fast American cars that you can do all the maintenance to in your garage saving you thousands. Parts are cheaper too, by a lot.

Here is a '93 Mustang that will do the following - Pick up women. Go faster than the BMW's you want. Put cash in your pocket as you can probably get something like it for about $3,500

[​IMG]