Buying Feminized Seeds...

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by NPaso, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Ok so basically i will be buying seeds for the first time every to be planted for the new spring.. now i have a couple questions...

1) Has any one here ever purchased feminized seeds? im guessing it is garunteed to be a female?
    2) Is it cost effective to purchase feminized seeds over a regular pack of seeds? I want to grow 10 plants and i dont think im garunteed with a regular pack..
    3) If i purchase my seeds months in advance what should i do for storage/should i even purchase them this far in advance?

All comments are welcome! Let's see what everyone thinks! Thanks :D

2. Many here will tell you femmed seeds are no good. Interestingly, most of those saying so have never grown femmed seeds. I do, and they are well worth it. Certain femmed strains can tend to hermie, but those usually are pulled quickly by the breeders. I have never had a hermie using feminized seeds. Femmed seeds grow well into female plants with fine yields and potency.

To me femmed seeds more than pay for themselves. You will pay $5-20 more for a pack of female seeds, but then you don't end up wasting half your seeds (on average) that are males. So for a 10-pack of seeds, an extra $10 for 5 more female plants? A bargain.

In a "regular" pack of seeds, each seed has a 50/50 chance of being male. The only way to find out which are males is to grow them out. That takes money, electricity, resources, and time for something you will end up trashing. Also takes up space you could have dedicated to more females. And perhaps most importantly, with growing out males you always run the risk of pollinating your females if you don't get them out in time.

The biggest problem right now with femmed seeds is availability -- many breeders can't keep up with demand and so are out of stock. But that tells you something right there.

Storage is no problem, you can leave them in the breeder's little envelope and then just keep them in a cool, dry, dark place. An old film canister with a few grains of uncooked rice inside stashed in the back of a closet works well and can keep seeds for years.

3. I AGREE Feminized work well for me

4. All of my feminized seeds were female. Yeah, they are more expensive but in my opinion its way better than growing a plant for two months only to find you have to throw it away. What a waste. Go fem for sure. More expensive but well worth it bro.:D

5. well that really sums it up! i will def be looking to spend a bit extra on some fem seeds! thanks to everyoen who relied so quickly!