Buying an HPS Light

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by timetrial, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Ok, so I'm finally going to get an HPS light. I already have around 6000 k of lumens from flouros and b/c of other reasons we (my bud and I) are wanting to stick with a 250 watt HPS. We don't want to get hosed on the price or quality so can someone who has some experience or has recently bought a light help us pick one out. Thanks for the input. Also-what can I expect to get out of a 250 watt light? Would it grow 4 plants well through flowering to harvest? Keep in mind we still have the flouros.

2. i would got 250 and fluoros if couldnt go 400-800 watt HPS. The best overall lights are HPS, so why spend in some fluorowatts if you can got with HPSwatts. HPS give more light and better spectrum for flowering.
    Im guessing you have at leat 150 watt in fluoros, thats okay, but youre moving forward.

Remember 400 HPS will yield more and better light than 250 HPS + 150 Fluoros.

In a dream world you could get a 400 watt MH/HPS system and just interchange bulbs. Dont know if it can be done with one bulb or it needs to be done with smaller bulbs.

Id rather have 4x100 hps evenly ditributed than 1x400 hps in the middle

Currently on my first grow
    4x39 daylight Osram Fluoros hung up in chains, some old school twist, jeje.
    4 Indicas
    6 Sativas
    .5 g/L of "triple 17 plus" (17-17-17 N-P-K and some micrconutes)
    .5 g/L of "nutriflor" (15-30-15 N-P-K)
    35 days 12-12

3. Not sure if it's available in the 250s, but I have a 400w HPS and a 400w MH conversion bulb that works in the HPS balast. Oh I think the conversion bulb was about $40 usd if memory serves.

4. by 6000 k of lumens, do you mean 6k or 6000?

5. That with the fluoros should do good for 4 plants.

Try htgsupply-dot-com, they have 250w HPS around $120 and a MH/HPS system with switchable ballast around $165.

6. hey timetrial .... i think the most important question you need to ask yourself is this: how big is is the garden? .... for instance, my first growroom was 3'x3'x7'high, and grew 4 very nice girls with a 400W switchable i picked up on ebay. i'm not suggesting you go there now ... i hear there might be some security issues there.
    250W hps will grow 4 plants if there is enough space ... although yield will increase considerably with a 400.
    my last purchase was through plantlightinghydroponics dot com ... good prices, nice selection, and quick stealthy shipping.

happy growing ..... in time. :)

7. www.insidesun.com

400 watt HPS

$90

cheaper than you will find a 250watt in most places.

8. sounds a bit tgtbt

9. Really? As in power-related security issues?

10. I mean that 400 watts is going to be much hotter i assume and im really only growing for myself so i assume that 250 will be sufficient.

11. it's not too good to be true. it's in my closet right now.

and... yeah it'll be a bit hotter but use some fans, cheaper price tag and more power, why not go for it?

12. why is it so cheap? how is it inferior to the more expensive ones

13. bro the first HId light I bought was a 400 and I can personally say it was too small.. I bought a 1000 within two months.. I would at LEAST buy a 400.. you are just growing for yourself.. but your cuts are gonna be like once every 3 months.. so your gonna need a good half pound.. ya know? your gonna definitely have to get a 265-465 blower.. but if you do.. with a 400.. it'll keep it nice and breezy.. you'll wish you had got a 400 if you go buy a 250 .. for real...

14. no .... i mean as in tracking security issues. most purchases made on ebay are through paypal (a division of ebay) ... credit card data is often tracked.
    so, the way i do it is find the item you want, either at a local hydro store, or on a web site and pay in cash or money order ... have it shipped to a non-grower friend, or work ..... some other place than where the garden is.
    maybe i'm paranoid .... but i'm not gettin busted either!

peace

15. I live in Eastern Canada, so fuck being paranoid. No one cares.

16. lucky you DIA ... i live in the north eastern us, and far as i can see, nobody gives a fuck either. call me the cautious type ... prison and this dude will NOT mix.

grow on .....

17. haha yea just get a 250 if its for urself... i mean i bought a 150w off ebay for $159 and now that im using it i wish i would have gotten a 250w or 400w now... just knowing how easy it is to grow and more the merryer haha :p

18. thanks for all the responses guys. I was looking at some today online. They seem really cheap but then you have to pay 15 bucks for the mounting kit and there was also an additional add on for a 400 watt hortilux bulb. Its a 40 dollar upgrade so im kinda hesitant. Also, this upgrade isn't available for the 250 watt light. Does that bulb make that much of a difference? what about conversions to mh? is it really imperitive to have?

19. toastybiz,,,, told you to visit htgsupply.com,,,,,, visit it and you wont ask those questions,,,trust me.....they sell a NEW [inside suns are so low $ because they are refurbished,,i want something new on this topic,,,thank you] you can get a 400 hps,,,,this includes hps bulb,,a m.h.conversion bulb,,,, the reflector,,,ballast[a nice one i might add],,,all you got to do is mount it and turn it on,,, delivered to your door for $205.00 thats a good deal,,, trust me before i made this exact purchase i did some extensive research,,,, you cant beat this place,,,,,,for anyone in the u.s. there shipping is so discreet,,, youd not know what was in that box if you wasnt the one ordered it,,,,i give these people 5 stars........:cool:

20. haha whatever, man. not everything from inside sun is refurbished. only the cheapest 400watt system they have, and even that only the ballast is refurbished, and ballasts last forever. everything else is new. you're really just throwing away money paying double the price for the same or even lower watt lights elsewhere.