Buying an external hard drive, suggestions?

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by dckaze, Jan 24, 2010.

1. I am going to to buy an external hard drive today and was wondering if you guys could recommend any. I dont know much about hard drives so I thought i would ask the city. I am looking in the 80-150 price range. thanks in advance

2. Buying hard drives in retail is really expensive, I would recomend ordering it online. Newegg.com is my suggestion if you want to do that. Get a seagate or Western Digital if you can, and avoid cheap brands like ultra speed or super talent

3. Newegg.com, Buy.com, etc... often run sales on them for less than the price range you listed.

If you don't need a lot of space, the smaller ones are cheaper - but I usually go for the biggest that's a good deal at the time.

If by "today" you mean you have to go buy one at a store today because you need it right away... then it's pretty much just a matter of comparing what's available in your area (Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Circuit City, Office Depot, etc...).

The last one I bought was a 750 GB Western Digital for around $50 on sale, probably from Newegg, but I forget.

4. I just bought the western digital my passport 320 gig for $80 and im lovin it so far.