Buying a used truck.

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by thatrooper515, Jan 17, 2013.

1. I'm looking at replacing my everyday light duty work truck.
    Half ton 4x4 will work but I really want a 3/4 incase I have to pull heavy with it cause my diesels needs work.
    Ive heard tons of good from the 5.4 in the fords.
    I'm looking at keeping it under 15k.
    From what I've found in my area I'm between two ATM.
    First is a very clean 2006 f250 single cab long bed 4x2 with 89k miles. $7000 cash only including ttl. I just don't know how much I would like a single cab and 4x2. I've always had 4x4 before so I guess I just learn where I can and can't go but also I don't like how the 2 wheels sit low in the front. I could live it's cheap.
    Second is a 2009 f350 single wheel 4x4 with I believe an 8 foot bed. It's the 5.4 also and with 131k miles. It was a fleet truck I believe. About $15.9k is the asking price. I'd hope to only pay 10-12k for it though.
    I plan on keep this truck a while and just replace the engine when one goes. I've never owned a ford so I wanna hear what gc says about em. Thanks for any replies.

2. I love my ford though its not a 5.4 it has been a good reliable truck. Only things iv done are wheel bearing (prolly my fault for driving through some flooded roads). Everything else though just spark plugs an brake pads so normal shit that everything needs eventually. Otherwise good truck.
    I have heard the 5.4's sometimes shoot plugs though not a expensive repair kind of a flaw in design.

3. Go with a Chevy and get at least the 5.3L but 5.7L or 6.0L would be better and if you can get one with the 6L80E trans over the 4L60E if you are going automatic. The fords are worse on gas, shitty transmissions, and the 5.4L have a design flaw which pools water around the spark plugs and rots them and they are 2 piece so the threads stick in the head and you have to buy a $230 kit from Ford or pull the heads and remove them the old fashioned way. My friend had a few of them before he listened to me and bought Chevy and now he couldn't be happier.

4. From what I understand the spark plug problem should be fixed. I think in 04-06 not really sure. And the 6.0s defiantly have my eye just don't see any with low miles or good price. Oh well maybe I'll see one today.

5. Yea i know thwy eventually did fix it but idk when either.

6. In my opinion, don't get a 5.4 gasser Super Duty. Go for a diesel 6.0L, 05-07 model years. The motors in those years are fine and the 5R110 TorqShift transmission is better than any Alison in a GM truck. If you can do your own work or know someone you can easily fix any and all issues that may spring up for cheap, otherwise labor costs to pull the heads will be a good chunk of change.

- ARP head studs
    - EGR delete
    - Tune
    - Coolant flush/swap

Good to go and that stuff isn't even necessary if you take care of it. With EGR equipped diesels you just need to take care of them and stay on top of oil changes and whatnot. After all, a 50k truck new is still gonna act like a 50k truck used.

7. Id go with the chevy 6.0. The 5.4 is such a dog.

8. 5.3 and it isn't a dog.

9. He's referring to the Ford 5.4L. They're both dogs.

10. Yeah i was referring to the ford 5.4. Personally, i wouldnt get a gas super duty or heavy duty.

11. And i would go diesel. Lots of good advice on the 6.0. It will be My next truck. Very cheap and with a little money, very reliable. I do love my Cummins though.

12. #12 orville22, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2013
    See i think the 5.3 is all right. Now the 5.4 is a dog.

13. Ya me neither. I will never own a gas truck. I love my Cummins

14. 5.4 in a 3500 4x4... Do not go near that. Will have no power for pulling anything more than its own weight.

15. The only Ford truck I've driven was a '98 with the 5.4L. I remember there was some sort of issue with either the spark plugs or coils, or something...

The only other thing I remember is that it did crazy burnouts with ease :D so I guess this isn't really a useful repl.

16. Even a srw? I thought about it but wasn't consented about it. Defiantly would love a 6.0 chevy I see guys pull with em like a disel. I've seen a good deal on a 6.6 druamax and 6.0 ford. But I don't need or want another disel. This truck will be on an off all day pullin from job site to job site. As I said a 1/2 ton will do it just want the 3/4 for when I pull rock or dirt.
    The community doesn't seem to like the 5.4 triton huh? All the farmer I know round here have em in the f150-250s and some of the halftone have 300k miles. I'll keep lookin for a 6.0 don't want a 5.3. And don't wanna diseal to do this stop and go off and on driving 9 months a year.

17. Dang I can't rep you but thank for the trans advice. Only gm trans I'm familiar with is the alison.

18. 4L60E is the old 700R4 but electronically controlled it's a decent trans but behind the bigger v8's they can be give or take and being a 4 speed it hurts gas mileage, but if well maintained and treated right will last a couple hundred thousand. There is a 4L80E in some trucks which is a heavy duty 4 speed, similar to the 4L60E but larger and with larger input and output shafts. It's a good trans but 4 speeds are outdated unless you are building a drag car/truck.

The 6L80E is the new 6 speed transmission from GM and it's very solid with nice ratios. It makes towing and cruising on the highway much more comfortable. It's more reliable as well over the 4L60E.

19. is the trans o get dependent on the year or engine? I'm not totally agains getting s new single cab 4x4 1500 that o order or find. Shouldn't be too bad over 20k$ I believe? Sounds hard find that trans in a truck exactly I want.
    Super baked. Sorry about spelling and grammar.

20. If you want a ford diesel go with a 7.3 turbo, 6.0s have problems there good trucks but the 7.3 has more longevity imo. 6.0s have more options for bolt ons and turning up the motor to make hp with electronics and such, but from my experience around them the stock trannys cant support to much. If you leave a 6.0 stock fine but if your wanting to make power for pulling i would go with a 7.3. A 6.0 however spools up fassst and can be really quick if built properly. However personally im a cummins man and the 5.9 common rail is far superior than any powerstroke or durmax, they can really make a lot of hp and torque with moderate modifications and the truck will support it, straight pipe that sucker from the turbo with a 6in+ tip sounds real nice, nothing beats cummins man just my opinion, probaly going to get backlash from ford people oh well.