Buyer Beware: Otter's Oasis & Detox Depot in Kalamazoo, MI

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by sinsemillaplease, Apr 28, 2010.

1. $01200.0 for a volcano??? Are they fucking retarted? Who the hell would pay that???

2. #42 chreeschan, Apr 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2010
    It's not anything new or custom, it's just straight tube RooRs for 400-700 dollars. My friend told me about this place, I'll never shop there, 42 Degrees is the best place for quality glass in Michigan. My other friend got a perc'd RooR there for 225 dollars, which just shows you how incredibly gouged these prices are.

3. i second this. if you are within driving distance of 42 degrees, GO THERE. it is simply amazing, and the employees are pretty helpful too.

4. Precisely. :D

It is nothing custom. It is a run of the mill digital Volcano. The glass prices are horrific in OO compared to every other headshop I have ever been to... Michigan or otherwise. I've been in over 20 shops.

Yup. There is a 3.2 in OO priced at $375 if my memory serves me correctly. I bought one in 42 Degrees for $94. Even with a birthday discount it would be $187.5... twice 42's price.

Hell yeah. 42 Degrees in AA is the shit. They won Best Headshop in the US for a reason. But you don't have to go to the best shop to beat OO's prices. You can pretty much go anywhere.

5. pretty sure google doesnt search this. or is that members?

6. #46 MidwestKind, Apr 30, 2010
    And some people (like you apparently) pay 2-3 times what others do for their "benz" (roor.us). That's the whole fucking point dude.

I could get a "lambo" (TORO) for that $500.....

7. Hoor is the worst brand of glass I have ever seen.

Who the fuck can't line the tape up parallel when they're sandblasting?

It's fucking tape, can they not afford to pull more tape off the role and do it over?

Just saying.

I bet all of their molded ceramic shit has a sky high price as well.

If they're selling Hoor I'm assuming they've got ceramics all up in that bitch.

8. Not to mention the fact that they don't even carry any real quality glass. I mean they've got ROORs that they bought from a dist. company out of Cali.... but that's it.

No TORO or Itza, US tubes, Illadelph or Left Coast, Wicked Sands, Sovereignty... none of that stuff. And definitely no heady indy artists like Pakoh, Jake C, El Hefe, Doc, Crondo, ROO, etc.

You know... no stuff that should cost 300+. :confused_2:

9. yeah but no shit...most lhs's are way over priced. they gota make there money to ya know...and hell, if you can sell those for a shit load of mark up why not? there are dumb rich college kids that do that!

thats why they are so high on prices, because people actually are dumb enough to spend money like that on nice glass.

good read though, was really legit :smoke: lol

10. Was in OA today, planning on cashing in on that birthday discount tomorrow... maybe I'll hit up the glass onion first.

11. #51 sinsemillaplease, Apr 30, 2010
    I've been told a few times that typical glass markup is 100% of wholesale. I've seen up to 200% pretty regularly.

Otter's Oasis seems to mark up not from the typical wholesale price... but from the typical retail price at 100-200%. I don't know what a 3.2mm ROOR is at wholesale... but it typically retails for $100-$175. You've got to double that to get just under the OO price... under!

Of course headshops have to make profit... but not like this.

Their selection is not as varied... but they are not out to take advantage of you either. They also have local glass available... something I did not notice in OO.

It's up to you... tomorrow is the one day out of the year that you can get a regular-high markup price in OO instead of an obscene one. But the Glass Onion may have a birthday discount too.

12. #52 User Name:, Apr 30, 2010
    A very good friend of mine bought a Left Coast with the gong beaker bottom that fits three different tubes: a plain shaft with ice notches, a condenser coil, and a vertical inline with a splash guard.

He had it for less than two weeks before the dichro button that seals the coil fell of. They glued that shit with epoxy and it failed so now his coil is empty. Needless to say that sounds like shit quality to me. To go on, the top of his inline popped off. How the fuck does that happen? I could see a tree perc busting but an inline with a splash guard? I'm sure he dropped it but I just can't imagine the top of an inline busting without the rest of the glass getting destroyed first.

I'm pretty sure he dropped at least 900 on it if not more.

Super thick glass but apparently they've got little attention to detail...

13. Bumping for great justice!

14. "Edit: If you're viewing this thread please reply in some form or fashion. I would like this thread to get picked up by the Google Bots and show up on the first page every time you search "Otter's Oasis" in Google."

Doing my part :)

15. Ended up gong to the Glass Onion, explained that I'd rather spend my money there and he gave me a good deal on a 5 disk diffused stemless Pure.

16. Otter's Oasis Head Shop. Michigan.

17. Sucks dick.:D

18. Good call man. Glad they gave you a deal. :wave:

19. Bump for the college kids returning home to find a new shop in town...

20. So does that mean left coast is actually just the sticker name for the Chinese Illadelph copies? Those ones that Aerogarden guy was trying to punt.

They look like...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]