Buyer Beware: Otter's Oasis & Detox Depot in Kalamazoo, MI

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by sinsemillaplease, Apr 28, 2010.

1. the volcano thing is nuts, everybody knows the general range of em, nobody would ever bay 1200+tax. thats insane....getting closer to the top of google

2. I wanted to post because I like the cause of warning customers of price gouging in an industry where it is too easy to do.

Also, because I've always thought that city has one of the best names ever :D

3. Word they deserve everything you get. They have no right to profit by ripping people off like that in a legitimate store.. Its just morally wrong. 600$ for a RooR?!?! Fuuuu

4. hahaha the next hit after the actual otters oasis site is a giant BUYER BEWARE title from GC. fucking. awesome.

5. Wow those prices are ridiculous! thanks for the heads up i heard about this new store and was wondering if i should take the drive now i know. hopefully they drop their prices when they realize they are too high. 42deg in A2 will still be my main shop for now but i am glad more stores are coming to MI.

6. agreed, the community doesn't need a business that blatantly lies to their customers.:wave:

7. :hello:

8. FUCK Otter and his Oasis!:metal:

9. thank you for looking out for us. :yourock:

10. I am so glad that someone else shares my grief with Otter's Oasis! We've had one in Battle Creek for a few years, and originally they started out as a shop used mostly to buy papers, scales, bowls, etc. with some gorilla glass bongs thrown in. They've always been disgustingly overpriced, but once the Roors came in and they started selling 3.2, 12" bongs for $375, I began warning the local stoner community to avoid the head shop at all costs. Granted, they do have the birthday discount, but even that would drop the Roor down to $187, and you could easily find one for less than that. Otter's is a joke.

11. Hell yeah it's a joke. Search out the facebook group! It's called "Otter's Oasis & Detox Depot: Biggest Ripoff in Kalamazoo/Battle Creek".

12. thats all bullshit! otters oasis is a great place to shop. ive bought tons of stuff from over the past 20 years. The glass onion in k-zoo is garbage. they have no stock and the last time i was there it was somebody shitty, dirty house. if there is a better headshop around, let hear about it. if you cant afford a 500 dollar bong, than buy a 200 dollar one! some people drive benzs some people drive fords. they have vaporizers from 100 bucks to 1200, yes. you buy what you can afford! a business cant keep 400,000 dollars of stock on the shelves only marking up items 5%.

its seems like you might have a personal relationship with the glass onion to start hating so hard.

13. I don't have a facebook, Sinse. but I totally agree with you on this. These people have no business in the community. GTFO OTTER'S OASIS!!

14. some bullshit

15. Looks like someone from OO found out about you Sinse :D

Let's pretend this is a legitimate post for a second though. Obviously prices must be marked up for a business to prosper, and by that same vein it will be more of a markup than online for the simple fact that brick and mortar businesses cost money to run (Utilities overhead etc.) But would you care to explain how a vaporizer that retails for, at the highest, ~700 can cost almost double that. Especially considering any business that is economically intelligent buys in bulk hence cutting down the cost per unit. Sinse never even mentions The Glass onion yet you readily bash it without anyone ever bring it up.

In regards to not being able to afford a "500 dollar bong" that is no where near the case. It is about getting what you pay for and a prodo Roor.us would never in world cost such. While never having been to the store you confirm Sinse's prices, and anyone with knowledge of the glass community knows the general prices for these item. It is clear that this business relies on underhanded tactics and taking advantage of the naive customer in order to stay in business, which no individual should support.

16. you do realize that posting shit like this doesn't exactly help, OO reputation?

17. dont get me wrong 1200 for a vaporizer is crazy. 700 is the most i have ever seen one for. but im headed there later today to investigate this. it might be something new or custom? but the prices on glass are not bad compared to the other top shops in michigan. Any old head knows that the prices in Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Battle Creek, Ann Arbor, Flint, or Lansing are all the same...... more than we want to pay.