buy a grow tent or make one?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by masterdebater49, Oct 14, 2013.

1. hey guys, I have everything i need to grow except the tent and seeds. I'm trying to design this tent doing research online and am having trouble finding a design or a tent online.

should I just make a completely custom one? It would be nice to put vent holes where I want and need them or should I just buy an already made one? is the material they make these things out of beneficial or whats a good DIY material?

i really want to get growing but I cant figure out how to design it with the dimensions i want.

2. It's cheaper to use 2"x1" wooden battons and black/white plastic sheeting. But that's on the condition you have the capabilities to make it. What size tent do you want? They are pretty cheap anyway. They start at around £40 new for a small one

3. I would like to make one if it will truly save me money after all is said and done. I feel like it will only be like 30 bucks difference. Although I cant seem to find exact dimension I want for the tent which is about 4-5x3x7. Will a single 4" tdx100 fan be able to vent 2-3 plants alone through a cool tube this size ?

4. That would depend on what size bulb was in there. Building a 5'x3'x7' tent would be quite a lot cheaper than buying one. But unless you know what your doing when it comes to fitting zips and stuff it won't be as good as a commercially made one

5. I have a 400 watt light system.

I am pretty handy and could get it done, but id also like to buy something premade and just be done with it lol.  I just want to avoid building this awesome sCrog tent/box and than wanting to change it up after my first grow so I can fit moms/clones and run a perpetual style grow and harvest more often. 

hmmm, I need some 1 on 1 help with someone who can get me started here....

6. buy one...
    save time and effort, and it'll be top quality and they've already thought of the things you may forget in making it which can end up looking real janky...
    i made a grow box... im proud, but shit. wish i bought a tent instead

7. yea I hear you, its tough finding the exact dimensions I want...only reason Im being picky is its going in the corner of my studio apartment and just works with all my furniture etc.

8. ok, forget what I said. I just found my tent and im picking it up tomorow :)

but i need a favor from you all! If i tell you the few peices of equiptment I have and show you the tent im buying would you mind help me design this the best way possible? I will definatly do a detailed journal.

9. here is the exact grow tent

http://www.htgsupply.com/Files/Products/Grow_Tent17.jpg

now what I have to put in it so far

this is my 4" fan

http://www.ventingdirect.com/soler-and-palau-td-100x-4-100mm-inline-mixed-flow-duct-fan/p934766?source=linkshare_TnL5HPStwNw_1_10&siteID=TnL5HPStwNw-oP4pQiLCrs.snOtfjOFyqQ

I have a 400 Watt HTGsupply Light/ballast system that came with a MH and HPS bulb.

I know I want to grow in bubblebuckets, I have made them before using rumples guide.

What I dont know is how to properly vent/seal odor. and if I am going to need another fan to do this or can I suck it all out with this one fan?

10. #10 Vee, Oct 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2013
    Ask yourself how important is this thing to you and the plants, now and in the future 

may DIYers have used porta loo's and chinese made portable closets/wardrobes, with varying sucess, google them

but these are OK, the jardin is my favorite, only as it's 3ft wide ...lol

http://www.greners.com/i/grow-tents/secret-jardin/dark-room-ii-pro/secret-jardin-dark-room-pro-dr90-ii.html

Aviditi Reflective Hydroponic Grow Tent 48-Inch Wide by 48-Inch Deep by 79-Inch High $102.96
    http://www.amazon.com/Aviditi-PTU-66-Reflective-Hydroponic-48-Inch/dp/B004U6XSRC/ref=pd_sim_lg_2/186-1433666-7723462

11. #11 masterdebater49, Oct 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2013
  12. Those fans aren't great man. If you use a cool tube that fan will not be able to drag air through a filter, ducting, cool tube, and then more ducting.

You could use its as an intake and use a better quality fan to exhaust air. Or use that one just for the cool tube and another one for the filter and exhaust

13. Go cheap for now, I guarantee you will want to upgrade in the future.

14. I would invest in a gorrila grow tent. There top notch and dont cost much

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

15. thanks for the input guys

goldgrower - am i correct in thinking if I use the fan I have just for a cooltube than I will be able to move my light a lot closer since there will be less heat? or is this not such a factor i should even think about it lol...thats my stoned question for now

but i do like the idea of using this fan for the cooltube and getting another fan for the exhaust.

to be honest the exhaust is what i need most help with. I have no idea what size filter i need or fan...i need to be somewhat cheap and quiet would be nice just because its next to my god damn bed lol.

16. not going to have time to pick up that tent today maybe tomorow..

and here I am re-thinking my plans and wondering if I should get a smaller tent and adding a homeade box next to it for mothers/clones.

decisions decisions....

also, just wondering. How smell-proof can I actually make this project assuming I have everything vented out of one exhaust with a carbon filter?? are neighbors still going to smell it outside?

17. can somebody take a look at my blog. need some advice. cheers

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

18. I'm not quite sure what your asking, your words are a little jumbled up there but basically you have two options...

1, have a carbon filter at the top, ducting to the cool tube, then ducting to a good quality fan that blows the hot air out of the tent

2, ducting bringing fresh air in from outside the tent, in to the cool tube then ducting to a less quality fan and then out of the tent. This air doesn't get smelly because it never mixes with the tent air. In addition to this you will also need to have a filter positioned up high, ducting to another fan and out the tent

19. Im sure im going to go with

"2, ducting bringing fresh air in from outside the tent, in to the cool tube then ducting to a less quality fan and then out of the tent. This air doesn't get smelly because it never mixes with the tent air. In addition to this you will also need to have a filter positioned up high, ducting to another fan and out the tent"

if i use my TDX-100 For the cooltube whats a good quiet option for the other fan i need? cheap and quiet as possible

20. DO NOT BUY GROW TENT FOR HUNDREDS OF BUCKS!

I got this portable closet for 20 bucks.

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1381971686.000465.jpg

Buy some Mylar and you're set!

http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1249051-The-Journey-of-indoor-scrog---New-SuperKush-w/-pics-*Enjoy