Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Recipe butter in place of oil?

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by notme1213, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Can you substitute butter for the oil?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Usually. In some recipes it's important to use the right ingredient, but most recipes can use either.

3. #4 BrassNwood, Jul 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    @notme1213
    Really any oil works and I've tested many of them including but not limited to
    Butter = works but can go rancid over time at room temps
    Coconut oil = Best
    Bacon rendered fat = Yummy but slow
    Olive oil = strong taste
    Avocado oil = another tasty one
    Corn cooking oil = works
    Crisco = both hard and liquid work
    Store Lard = works fine but like bacon renderings it took a bit longer to take full effect..

Since I tend to let the hash caps melt in my mouth both for speed and because they taste good I use LouAna Coconut oil exclusively now as it's the most neutral tasting IMO
    [​IMG]
    All testing done with Dry Ice kief.
    [​IMG]
    Like the 90 or so capsules I did up yesterday.
    15 grams decarbed kief
    3 tablespoons coconut oil
    1 tablespoon lecithin
    Heat 220 F for 20 minutes, Freeze, Reheat and cap
    Caution may cause extreme discomfort, dizziness, vomiting, hallucinations both visual and auditory, :)
    BNW

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Yes, It has a lower saturated fat content and less medium chain triglycerides (MCTs) 70% vs 98% for oil.

IME, it doesn't absorb as quickly and doesn't last as long, but I've still made some solid edibles from butter and it tastes better ofc.

You can also clarify your butter and make it 80%+ Sat. Fat which is basically just removing the bubbles when you put it in a pan to melt and skim the top off with a skimmer or a spoon if you don't have one. Definitely worth the 5 mins.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I used that same oil for the very same reason as you, the clean taste.

• Like Like x 1