Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Butter/Ghee question

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by Nematode128, Jul 4, 2019.

1. What's the minimum temperature that needs to be reached for infusion to take place?

2. Just use a double boiler, the temp will self regulate to where you need it.

3. Probably around 190-200 degrees Fahrenheit though.

4. So my buddy was probably wrong saying that 170 was a good temp?

5. Not saying he's wrong or I'm right, but I use a double boiler to make mine and have NEVER had an issue with infusion. Never honestly checked the temp either though.
    The temp of the steam under the glass bowl wont burn the butter or herb, and cause any additional bitterness.
    Make sure to decarb first though, whatever infusion you plan to do.

6. I'm assuming that you mean infusion of already decarbed herb.

There is no minimum temperature.
    Just letting the herb soak at room temp for a few months will infuse.
    Every infusion method works to some extent.
    The issue really is what time/temp/procedure infuses best.

BrassNwood's popular method uses two cycles of (20 min @ 220 F + Freeze) to infuse.
    Magical Butter Machine recommends 1 h @ 160 F. Or 160 F for 4 hr.
    Ardent Cannabis recommends using their decarb device, which amount to a bell curve of temp that peaks around 218 F, and lasts 1:45 total.

There is no universal agreement on best infusion time/temp/procedure like there is for in-air decarb, where the accepted standard is 240 F for 40 min. But that's not unique, and 250 F for 30 min works just as well.

After trying dozens of different infusion methods, I now believe that 40-60 min @ 220 F, along with lecithin, is the best combination of effectiveness and simplicity for me. But probably not for everybody.