Butane Hash Oil Question

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by 420stoned666, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Before I get to my question, I'd like to mention a few things.
    I have been getting into concentrates over the last 6 months or so. I have only been able to do isopropyl extracts (otherwise known as qwiso), but I've probably done 20-30 runs, give or take. I like using this method because I simply have to let the alcohol evaporate and I get a nice chunk of golden/amber taffy, that smells sweet and tastes like the strain.
    The major downside is that using the iso method, it's like a 10% yield. (2 grams = .2 concentrate).
    I was considering moving on up to bho, because I can see bho is superior. From what I've seen, it produces a better product. Better consistency, better color, seems to be more pure, has a much superior yield, and just overall much better.

So that brings me here, to get some good information from experienced concentrate makers.

First: I'd like to know the best brand of butane that I should use.
    Second: Do I absolutely need to have a vacuum pump? If I do, what's the cheapest route to take?
    Third: I've heard of a process known as whipping, that doesn't require a vacuum pump. I think I would prefer to do that instead of buying an expensive ass vacuum pump.

I've seen pretty damn good looking concentrates made without a vacuum pump.
    Thanks. Let me know the best way to go about bho please.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. 1. Power 5x cheap as hell and good quality.
    2.you dont need one but you cant beat winterized vac purged concentrates.
    3.whiping is all good man.
    Also there is a wealth of information on youtube if you like to actually visualize the process.
    I'm mega baked so if I lost you my bad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. I use power x7, cheap as hell, and don't vacuum purge, I do purge my shit on a hot plate for 48 hours though. Heat it at 90f and bam! Consistency with this method seems to be strain dependent, my Jack produces a hard shatter, while my NLxBB is a sticky as hell mess,and needs to be frozen to handle. I took the trim from Both and ran it, and got a return of something right in the middle,which is the consistency I prefer right now, a tight taffy, with nice pull, and a snap

knives heated dull red
    release sweet smoky nectar
    I am lifted high

4. Okay thanks for the responses. Another question I had: should I freeze my bud before running it? And, do I keep the buds as they are whilst running, or should I break it all up? And what if I dont have enough bud to fill my extractor tightly?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. Power is not quality. Look for Lucienne, Colibri, Newport

6. #6 stupidstuff, Feb 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2014
    Newport has higher levels of mystery oil than power 5x/7x.

Lucienne was the only brand to beat power.  I have a link in my thread on the first page of which brands tested for what, and how much.

Believe it or not power was in the top three.

To the question of do you need a vac? not really for smaller personal runs.

If you want a full description of how to make BHO look at the thread in my signature :)

7. do you want to spend 3+ days heat purging? get a vac and save yourself the time/residual tane lol

Newport is still better than P5 IMO, P5 always leaves a harsh taste, I've done side by side and p5 always makes my throat hurt.

Notice how I listed Newport last? I really dont like it as much as Lucienne, Lucienne beats any canned tane IME

power is garbage, accept it. cheap, korean crap.