Butane Hash Oil Help

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by bad107, Feb 8, 2009.

1. What's it mean if it sputters a bit? I'm pretty sure all the Tane is gone tho....

2. #22 kushguy101, Sep 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2011
    sounds like water, sometimes condensation builds on tube and drips into your hash making bowl then gets trapped between cell walls in the wax. it'll sparkle and sizzle.

kushguy101

aka KUSHITS

Attached Files:

3. oh ya btw, mr trikky hating on the honey bee extractor, a bho king would know that certain plastics are more resistant to chemicals than even stainless steel and glass, uduh! honey bee extractor is fine.

4. sorry I don't know shit about BHO, but isn't smoking butane bad for you lol ?

5. ive gotten gold bho budder in studio city for only 25 and 30 a gram but that was before they closed down and the same guys that worked there work at a new shop thats selling super high grade gold budder at 50 a gram, so if he found the right spot, it can be true..and its better to ask where and not tell him hes lieing lol...

6. I've made hash oil with 5x butane, a glass extractor tube, screen and some pyrex dishes about 3 times now. Twice with buds. earlier tonight I ground up about 14-17g of mostly buds, and I've been letting it sit in the dish inside of another dish filled with boiling water (which I replace about ever 10 min) and very occasionally stir the oil as it gets to a gooey consistency. The more I stir it, the more it seems to turn from a dark brownish-green to a blonde-tan color. Its very thick and solid when it cools so that's a plus from my last attempt, but im not sure if there's any more effective way I could be burning off the butane.

Any thoughts?

7. 3 cans of Butane for 14 grams of oil???? How the fuck did nobody point that out????

And don't bho vaped weed. Kinda pointless. But 1 can of butane per ounce of weed

8. Yea dude I have pounds of outdoor trim
    So I will make a case at a time. I will get about an oz of bomb oil. Not really worth it to pay for bad buds an trim to make oil. I am doing more tomorrow an will throw some pics up

9. #29 Chronatonic, Feb 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2012
    Alright so I made some BHO budder last weekend, Basically what I did was use the honey bee extractor with some whole kush buds (hope i dont get flamed for using it) and blasted the butane into a 9 x 13 pyrex dish half filled with water. ( was told blasting it into the water made it easier to collect instead of scraping it off the pyrex dish dry). Then i used a double boiler with the water just below boiling and whipped/ let it bubble whipped it/ let it bubble for 15 mins or so and the end result was a really nice consistency, yellow, easy to handle, not sticky to the touch but it wasnt clear like shatter. Is this an appropriate method for purging and making the oil? I tried to make shatter tonight by not stirring it as much but it still turned into a yellow, budder/oil consistency

10. You whipped to early. Spread it real thin and let it purge on a hot bath. Whipping doesn't work until the oil has been purged.

11. I've made oil quite a few times but this last time I did an alcohol wash (everclear 151) to get all the butane out. Cooking the alcohol off with a double boiler went alot quicker than I thought and I got some Beautiful oil, though it could probably stand to be whipped cause it is a bit glassy. It tastes like there is still something in the oil that there shouldn't be (butane additives for smell i think, even though I use 5x butane).

Now when I do the alcohol extraction as the alcohol evaporates off it turns a milky liquid (water left from the everclear) with hash oil in the bottom. When I cooked all the water off there was a white/powdery residue on the dish where there wasn't any oil. Can I siphon off that water before i cook it off without worry that I am losing to much oil? I'm pretty sure that liquid is water with alcohol/hash dissolved so would I be better off if add a little water after it all cooks down and try to dissolve that white powdery crap off the top?

12. [quote name='"ItaintME"']I've made oil quite a few times but this last time I did an alcohol wash (everclear 151) to get all the butane out.
    [/quote]

You did an 'alcohol wash'? I've never heard of that method of purging the butane from hash oil, I've always thought that alcohol destroyed THC... Can you give a brief explanation of how you did this alcohol wash?

13. I am like 99.9% sure that the milky crust is simply trapped water. When I stick my dish in an oven on the lowest temperature possible for 5-10 minutes the white crust disappears. Not sure about the weird taste though...hows the starting product you use?

14. Alcohol destroying THC? How do you figure? You can make hash oil from alcohol extractions but it is of lower quality because the alcohol will extract some polar compounds from the plant (chlorophyll etc.) that dilute the oil. But it has nothing to ruining THC. I was forced to try this after my extraction tube had a little bit of a blow out that got some material in the oil. Only way I could clean it up was to dissolve it in alcohol and pass it through a coffee filter.

You dissolve your bho in alcohol, I chose the highest proof grain liquor i could find in my local, everclear 151. You then you use a double boiler to cook off all the liquid. Since butane has a lower vaporization temperature than alcohol; and alcohol lower than that of water, the butane cooks off first, then the alcohol then the water. Once the solution has mostly water the oil precipitates out to the bottom of the pan. The liquid also turns a milky color at this point, but that has to do with the water/alcohol/hash oil solution, not any contaminants, a similar phenomenon occurs when making a drink with absinthe, which is another alcohol/plant extract. I then continued until all the water cooked off.

And no I know what you are taking about with the watery oil kinda crust and its not that. Its a powdery looking residue and its not only on the oil (not in the oil and only really apparent where there is no oil on the pan). Could just be from hard water even, but on the off chance its something nasty I'm gonna try to get rid of it. Going to try letting it all cook down till there is just oil, cool to fridge temp, wash the top with warmish water, dump that water, double boil for a bit, scrape and enjoy.

15. There is no "off chance" that it is anything except water bro.

If you have the correct 99% iso that only contains iso and water, than there is nothing nasty that you are making. I know some isopropyols contain other inactive ingredients besides water, so make sure you get the one with only water as the extra ingredient.

But like I said, the only thing going in is Water, Isoproyol, and Marijauana. I'm just baffled where this "nasty" crust could be coming from? Can we get a picture?

16. Well that batch done got smoked up... If it happens again I take some pics of it and how I attempted cleaned it up