Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Busted...

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by neur0, Dec 21, 2010.

1. #1 neur0, Dec 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2010
    Hey everyone, can I get a helping hand please?

Don't wanna ask for anythin as I don't think there's anything I can really ask for other than your advice. Live in California and got busted earlier by University Police at school for 11357(6) h&s possession of marijuana. Didn't have anymore than an ounce I don't think.

Got caught in my office at school. Thought, smoke a bit in it with friends to celebrate end of semester and shoot the shits. After all, nobody really knows about the place. Boy was I wrong. Got a knock and the cops told us to pile out, 6 in total.

I took the full blame of everything so they got off, thank god. So apparently this is a misdemeanor and got a court date in Feb. 18 of next year.

I realize there's two things of concern for me. Jail time? ID revoke? Possibly getting let go from work because of this? Anyone wanna share experience? They mentioned in the law that jail time is a possibility...

I feel scared, but not so much just because I knew what the consequences and also, in California, the governator signed SB 1449 which makes weed a $100 fine. The catch is its not Jan. 1 2011, but my court date's around February

tl;dr: How screwed am I and how much will it fuck up my future? The situation happened, how do I deal with it like a man?
    Thanks a lot in advance guys

2. Is this your first offence? Since I live in Canada I can not help you out that much but when I got arrested for possetion (only quarter oz) all they said was show up on your court date and everything will be fine. The only thing I got was a small fine and 100 hours of community service.

my best advice would be to read up on local laws and be ready to be piss tested if you get probation.

Goodluck

3. Yeah, first offense. That's what my friends been telling me too. "Show up and don't worry"

4. try to make up a good reason to get your court date postponed untill after january when that law takes into effect.

but hey i aint no lawyer its what i would try to do

5. sent my information to a lawyer and will see how this pans out come Feb. This is weird since I'll be grandfathered into a law that basically makes my citation less significant...

6. beware the terminator giving you a spanking

7. Sucks bro. Sorry to hear.
    Your a real trooper taking the blame though.
    +5 internets.

8. Don't get too happy OP. That is +5 internets out of the billions already floating around.

9. Wouldn't have it any other way. You roll with me and the least I can do is offer good company and a fun time. Last night was good company but not that fun of times nor did those folks get any less than what they started. All I ask for. I'd treat anyone who smokes with me the same as far as I'm concerned.

What would REALLY make things bad is if they got busted too, but thankfully they didn't.

10. some bad shit may happen, but you won't end up in jail.

11. your lucky your in cali... hear about the dude busted up in TX for hash and a little weed.. but cali is pretty chill proposition 19 was the shiz i bet they had officer field trip to the fucking ballots:( you'll be fine dont worry:smoke:
    P.S. im blazed

12. Sorry man, but since you were busted before SB 1449 goes into effect, it won't apply for your case, even if your court date is after 1/1/11.

13. Your OP kinda sucks.

You're questioning if you're gonna get in trouble for smoking ON CAMPUS with 5 other people and an ounce of weed on you?

14. True, but unless the judge is a complete asshole, he will probably see that it is going into effect and be less hard on you. I got busted when the laws here were bad, but the ballot question for decriminalization was already passed, so the judge just made me pay $100 and let me go with nothing else. You'll probably be fine dude, the only thing that makes it bad is that it was in your school office, so that might have an effect on it.

15. he wont be the Governor by the time of his court date :p

16. your student finances might get revoked,
    but i could be wrong :confused:

17. Yep, if you get Financial Aid you will likely lose it.

18. Its just a misdemenor and $100 fine unless you had hash or over an ounce, or somethin sketchy where the officers can say u had intent to sale (i.e. Scale, dime baggies, lot of money) and in court take the rehab thingy and youll be good my niggggaaaa cuz that removes it from ur record i have a whole CA guideline for marijuana its an iphone app ha ha

19. #19 sinsemillaplease, Dec 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2010
    First of all, you are the shit for taking all of the blame. I've been there and it's a thankless role. None of them will ever truly understand or appreciate what you've done for them... but I understand and I appreciate you for it.

Because you were caught on school grounds you will be charged w/ a misdemeanor, fined $250 and have the possibility of going to jail for up to ten days. Considering you have legal representation and it's your first offense, it is unlikely that you will actually see any jail time.

Your lawyer should push for a diversion program. Diversion programs sentence you to drug treatment and community service. In essence, they are just like probation except if you successfully complete them your charge goes away... POOF!

If that fails, you will likely be convicted and end up with the $250 fine and probably some time on regular probation. That will likely mean random drug tests. This will also mean you will lose federal financial aid for 1 whole year. To get it back you can wait the year or go to rehab where you will have to say you are an addict and take some random tests. (I decided not to go that route when I was in the situation... I wouldn't be able to live with myself... puffing up the DEA's "marijuana addict statistics") Also if you are under 21, your license can be suspended for up to a year.

Two years after your conviction, your charge will be erased pursuant to CA Public Health Code 11361.5!

No matter how this goes for you... if you stay out of trouble you will no longer have a criminal record in 2 years.

As for your job, you're already working there so unless they background check you again they will not know it happened... that is unless you end up going to jail. Also it is only a misdemeanor and many jobs don't even ask about misdemeanors on the application. Your school may choose to give you a separate punishment... you can find out about that in your student handbook.

Good Luck!

Doesn't matter because he was on school property. Even if he wasn't it still might not matter unless the law is retroactively applied.... it's the date of the offense that counts not the court date.

Truth... there is no reason to compound the situation by getting more people involved. You acted honorably. :hello:

20. Since you live in California get a medical card. All you have to do is say you get migraines or make up something they give it to anyone there.