Business idea reality check

Discussion in 'Marijuana Business and Industry' started by Carni, Jan 29, 2019.

1. #1 Carni, Jan 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    Growers,

I only just started growing weed but I think I am in love with it. The last time I felt this way was when I started learning how to program computers, and I made a career out of it. So I believe I am up to the task of starting a growing microbusiness.

I live in San Diego. I don't have a lot of money saved up but I have a high income. My mom is going to buy a house soon. I was thinking of covering part of the house into a grow room. I'd have my mom maintain the plants so she could retire from cleaning houses.

I would pack the product in house and sell directly to customers or dispensaries. I am not looking to make a lot of money. I would keep my current job. I could create a website for my business myself.

Some questions I have:

1. Can I grow and operate the business from a house?

2. How much are the licensing fees? I know I need one for growing and one for selling if I decide to sell to customers directly.

3. How much flower can I produce assuming 50 watts per sq ft and a streamlined cycle? A better question may be, how many plants or sq ft should I dedicate to blooming? Because the bloom room will determine the size of the harvest.

4. What other questions should I ask?

• Like Like x 1
  2. You and 5 million neighbors ..?

weed in Cali takes a lot of expensive water and skill

more so if you are selling weed to medicals

you could sell to your local 7/11 eventually

but right now more weed is heading to the $2.00 per gram level

tho is recovering in many sectors but at considerable cost to growers

many legal growers are waiting to move into the executive 'wine' like market

a guy in your position will need training, serious cash, a mentor and a lawyer

good luck

• Like Like x 4
  3. What about them?
    What do you mean sell to medicals?
    That's 60 bucks an ounce. That's what i pay for my weed and what I based my calculations on. Works for me.
    I'm not counting on making a living off of it. It gives me an interesting hobby and some extra cash on the side and if it goes well I'll expand or not.
    Those are all achievable.

Thanks man!

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. I've already emailed them and a cannabis business consulting group but they just give me general answers. I wanted to hear from people that have actually done sonething similar. I plan on hiring the consulting group at some point. Right now I just want an idea if this is possible/practical/profitable or not.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Good luck is right! In California? But hey anything is possible if you put your mind and heart to it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Whereas I am looking for a reality check, this adds nothing to the discussing. I just moved here so I don't know what "in California?" is supposed to mean.

7. 60.00 dollars an 0z/28 $2.14 gram

I'm suggesting the whole Cali thing is fluid at the mo ....even downright stormy ..lol

good luck

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Ah new to the state I see. Well by “in California” I’m only referring to the mass amount of delivery as well as store dispensaries that we have across the state. In place like LA, they can be found every .5 mile away and the delivery services are in the hundreds. All I’m getting at is that their is ALOT of competition in California in the marijuana industry. Hope this is the reality check you were seeking Sir.

9. Lmao “stormy” - I couldn’t of picked a better word.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. That's very helpful, thanks. Keep in mind I live in San Diego. From what I've seen, the market is not as overcrowded down here compared to LA. But I may be wrong. Also I have the advantage of having a secure job, lots of free time, and can make a website for my microbusiness.

11. #12 Vee, Jan 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    that be your key to you millions

make the suckers web sites

down and dirty $40.00 all in...lol

12. #13 Thereal301, Feb 8, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
    i agree if you really want to make money work for individual dispensaries and code their websites. you could get more projects done and not to be a naysayer but itll be hard to turn your ‘business’ profitable if you have no prior business experience and considering most california companies have more capital/time headstarts compared to you, growing in another state that is just legalizing seems like a better choice

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  13. The whole point is to quit the software industry lol...

• Like Like x 1

14. You are way late to the scene. SD is very strict and thats why the comp down there isn't as bad as LA. You can't hold a distribution licenses and a grow licenses at the same time. You need like $20k for the application fee(just to apply, no grantee of anything) You need a cannabis industry lawyer around $10k a month retainer fee. Growing isn't profitable on the legal market at the size your talking about. I know large scale growers going out of business because they can't break even with the new regs. The laws in prop 64 was written to make the state $$$ they didn't take the growers in account and lots of growers now are blackmarket shipping out of state cuz its the only way to make any $$. The real money right now is in the carts game. Been in the industry for years. Right now its hard to get in. PPl moving from all over the world to Cali to try and do what your talking about. You are late to the party you needed to be doing all this years ago. The market is way over staturated and the State didn't get the tax revenue it was expecting and is blaming it all on the black market so mark my words lots of blackmarket growers\shops\extractors are gonna get rolled up this year as the state set aside over $40 million to go after all the illegal competition this year.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Noted but I'm taking this with a grain of salt. I already looked at the application fees and they're no where near what you said. For all I know you're just trying to discourage me. Cannabis microbusiness is a thing. Microbusinesses - BCC There might be different rules for San Diego but I can just move.

16. How to make a small fortune in the marijuana industry:

Start with a large fortune!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1

17. you get 900 a unit when your outdoor product is not taken care of properly in 2019.

good indoor is still good money, even outdoor that is well taken care of.

18. if you're homegrowing small don't bother with the BCC you have the right to grow 500 sq ft being a primary caregiver for 5 patients.

these fees and taxes for small grows (if licensing is even available) are business killers, you will likely terminate business going that route.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Yes but remember I have a full time job. I am not depending on this for income. This is a side project that hopefully blossoms (pun intended) into something bigger. I've already passed up too many "what could have been" opportunities in my life. I have spent my whole life scared - frightened of things that could happen, might happen, might not happen. Twenty eight years I spent like that. Finding myself awake at three in the morning. But you know what? Ever since my bad trip, I sleep just fine. What I came to realize is that fear, that's the worst of it. That's the real enemy. So, get up, get out in the real world and you kick that bastard as hard as you can right in the teeth.

Sorry I love spoofing breaking bad quotes.

I had not heard of this caregiver thing, I'll look it up. Thanks!