Business help

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by michganman, Jul 21, 2019.

1. #21 Nugz626, Jul 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    Glad I’m reading this, guess I’m not the only one in Michigan with this idea. I was planning on doing the same thing over the winter for all the hemp farmers in my area... they all bought starts this year and none of them know what there doing.. The basically threw acres in the ground not know they have to be sexed... my plan was to do starts, clones, and seeds over the winter in a large warehouse already set up with irrigation, heat, and outlets for lighting. Then by spring sell what we can as fem plants with good genetics, keep a couple thousand for my own land and a farmer that wants me to be his consultant.. if everything works we’d do our own full spectrum extractions as well... time will tell, I’m not gonna give up though, it’s my dream

• Like Like x 3
  2. That's exactly what I'm thinking. Everyone in this thread is so caught up with the completely random number i said about clone over head cost they completely glossed over the original question. I'm kind of chuckling about it, it's a little comical.

• Like Like x 1

3. if you're serious about your op then i suggest you seek professional help from companies in the greenhouse horticulture business. an operation of the scope you speak of requires a certain set of mechanical systems, perhaps a good bit of automation, power, and most importantly good water. there are many greenhouse companies offering consulting services, systems and components, and turn key solutions. dont spend money foolishly because there will be much money required to be spent in order to be successful from the get-go. for a startup you're looking at many months of overhead before you have a product to sell. and, imo you should listen to the voe of experience being offered by others herein. running a horticultural greenhouse operation is a lot (a lot) of hard work and it can be quite stressful if trying to DIY your own environmental systems and power distribution systems.

create a business plan and seek appropriate professional advice for a fully functional startup. be a good steward of your aunt's money. that is some of the best advice you're gonna get imo.

good luck and let us know how it works out. i love michigan. :smoke:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. I don't understand how you guys are growing acres of plants I've wanted to grow a large plot for a long time now and I don't see anywhere where this is legal yet in the state

• Like Like x 2
  5. #25 Nugz626, Jul 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    I was solely talking about high cbd hemp. It’s kinda hush hush but there are licenses you can obtain to grow hemp. You can grow for fiber or cbd in Michigan. This year more or less a trial run since everyone got their plants so late and the fields were too wet to get out there. When we bought starts, we got 2000 at 3$ a piece. The guy behind us bought 60,000.... add that up. On top of that people paid these prices for males and females since they all came from seed! If some one could supply only females they could raise the prices and have guaranteed buyers every spring. #money

• Like Like x 3
  6. I would do bigger pots for the mothers but the nutrients I would definitely change up I personally grow all organic but everyone's preference is different. Sounds like a dope idea if there aren't too many competitors in your area already you need a nice space, some racks for the cuttings and a mother room! Also a worker or 2 if ur pumping out large orders!

You could build your own soil mix or I could buy in a mending package from build a soil like Coots mix or nutrient pack and just mix them with the soil and water only for the mothers until you need to re amend just hop dress the same mix and all you need is non-chlorinated water!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Nov 1st is when you get your growing licenses. A 5000 plant license is 40000.

8. Thanks for your input man. There isn't a clone store anywhere around me. Occasionally you can get some sketchy shit off craigslist or there's this one cannabis farmers market type spot where someone comes in and sells teen plants for like $30. But it's so hit or miss. I thought that would be a good area to start in and kind of niche.

9. That sounds dope bro, u might have something there. I have a friend in AZ that started selling clones and it turned into a great business that build out your room does pretty much everything for you to set it up wish I could imagine is dope for some people

• Like Like x 1
  10. For reefer plants or hemp?

11. Actual marijuana, not hemp.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. That isn't bad at all really. If somebody funds it, I'd grow them a real weed orchard next year. They would make a KILLING!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. There is a ton of bureaucratic bullshit that goes along with it. There's zoning issues, plus a bunch of prerequisite criteria like having a certain amount of liquid capital(insane amount that keeps the small guys out of it), municipalities have certain extra licensing, etc. We have these marijuana business lawyers meeting scheduled and they are $500 an hour and a 10,000 retainer fee. Every year is a 6000 dollar renewal fee for background checks. There has to be security plans drawn up and implemented. It's a bunch of stuff. I'm just lucky I have a very smart business woman coordinating all of that.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Yes you are very lucky indeed. Hopefully everything works out for y'all.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. I appreciate that man, my anxiety is already building up and we haven't even started yet.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Scaling up to 5000 plants is no joke at all. I would love to try it. 100 rows of 50 plants in a field all growing ten feet high... Makes me shiver I want it so bad.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. I'm in GA so I can't grow cannabis (yet). But what I use on lettuce and tomatoes is rabbit and alpaca poo. Worm Castings are great too. You can set-up a worm casting operation and make your own! I wanted to do that but it requires keeping a wood-burning stove going in the winter-time in my barn and I just don't have the time or the money to stoke it. If you're in a warm climate (I assume you are since you're growing cannabis) you can do the worm farm all year long. If you want to know more, just ask.

Also, I can save you some time by helping you with bookkeeping and payroll if you have employees! :) Glad to help - again just ask!

PS - PLEASE don't give up on the organic idea! We need to prove to the world that this plant is beneficial in so many ways! When used for medical purposes, whether it be smoking or distilling oil - it needs to be clean and free of chemicals and carcinogens! :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. I would use diatomaceous earth. It works for herbs and food that I grow. I sprinkle it around the barn, in the chicken coop, on my cats and dogs, and add it to their water. Just had a cup of it in water myself a few minutes ago. It's good stuff! There are also some herbs you can grow alongside other plants that bugs hate. Learn the art of "Companion Planting" and keep in mind that herbs were put here for a reason... all of them! Peppermint is one I keep growing with my other plants because most bugs won't come near it. Bugs also hate basil, onions, and chives. Neem oil is an organic idea, and BT is considered organic. I don't know if those are the right solution for cannabis but they work on all my other plants! If you look you can find a lot of recipes for sprays that require crushed peppers, castile soap and other cheap ingredients. One thing that works for me is to use the skins of onions when I'm cooking to make a spray. Simply put the skins in water for a few weeks, strain and add to a spray bottle. To get the solution to stick to leaves, just add a drop or two of castile soap (without essential oils).

• Like Like x 1
  19. For a professional grow you need to get a bit more scientific. DE might work in some applications but it has very little use in cannabis cultivation as it won't really do much to deter pests common in the industry.

The reason I asked was to point out that the type of pest management one chooses will affect what kind of practices one can use. For instance, you wouldn't want to use neem if you are relying on predatory insects as the neem can also affect them and dramatically lower their effectiveness.

Here's a couple of episode from KIS podcast with Suzanne Wainwright-Evans who is an expert consultant on pest management in commercial greenhouses. I highly recommend all growers listen to these.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. I have been talking to my aunt a lot lately, I have been telling her since the beginning we would get destroyed in the actual production of marijuana market since there is a 40 acre grow going in only 5 miles from us, but she says she wants to go for it instead of a clone business, which I want too, I just thought a clone business would be safer. This weekend we put a bid in on a 10 acre property. I plan on staying all organic just like my much much smaller grows. Here's a few pics of property we are hoping to get. 20190727_171727.jpg 20190727_171723.jpg 20190727_171726.jpg 20190727_171724.jpg 20190727_171718.jpg 20190727_171723(1).jpg 20190727_171720.jpg 20190727_171721.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1