Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Burning with Glass Wand

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by Gator01, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Not my idea but i want to share it. Try using a glass wand to burn with. All you need is a propane torch and a glass stirrer. heat the stirrer up at the tip of the blue flame of the torch. Then just touch the herb with the wand, dont push down. it might take some practice but its the shit. No butane, just pure chronic. the glass will shatter if its cold before heating, so warm it up a bit further from the flame. the wand will get shorter but its no problem as the glass is not "burning with any harmful fumes" glass does not burn it just milts & breaks occasionally. HAVE FUN!

2. First, if the glass doesn't have an extremely high specific heat, you will never be able to take even a decent size hit before the glass cools down too much. Now if this glass does have extremely high specific heat, it will take a very long time for the torch to heat it up

Second, if you are losing glass, the flame is way to hot, and guess where that glass is going? You guess it, through the bowl, through your mouth and in to your lungs! I don't know about you, but I don't like glass in my lungs.

Interesting idea, but I would never recommend anyone try this. It would take a ton of time, expensive glass, and would be a lot less healthy then just using a lighter. If you are concerned about lighter fumes, just use a bong.

3. im almost positive u can smoke with glass... dont just make shit up to sound smart...

4. Most of what you said is wrong. First of all glass takes a very long time to cool off, so you don't have to worry about reheating it over and over. Also glass does not burn it only melts and there are no harmful vapors or anything that comes off glass when it's heated.

5. Your talking to an engineer here. The specific heat for glass(850 JPK) is relatively low compared to water(4186 JPK). so that means that the glass will hold heat longer but as you said that also means it will take longer to heat. But that's not a problem because your heating with a 2600deg F torch and cooling it on a 78deg F bowl of herbs. See the diffrence. so it will warm up fast and cool slow, Take another bong rip pal.

As far as the rest of your babble... not worth the time. Just try it, its fuckin great.

• Like Like x 2
  6. ^^^^ Serrrrved!!!

7. heard its bad ass ive yet to try it

8. Yeah man glass rod is the way to go for sure. It's called a greebo in most places i've been and in my experience it's best used with bongs. Even if you don't have a torch, you can use a stove. It takes about 15 minutes or so each hit but it's well worth the wait.

P.S. It's safe for sure, if you're losing glass, which you won't, it's just getting stuck to your bowl piece, because as far as I know, the whole rod would liquify before one piece of it started to sublimate into gas.

9. 15 minutes a hit? hot damn. could you do the same thing with a car cigarette lighter or something?

10. if you have a pipe with a big enough bowl, yeah it will work with the same effect except its not nearly as badass as using more glass and a torch.

11. Fuck that. I drop my lighter way to much. I would drop that glowing hot glass rod for sure.

12. I would hate to see the school you graduated from.

First off, "glass" is not an actual compound. Glass is a broad term for products made with silica(SiO2 or sand). When the glass is produced though, many different chemicals are used to determine the properties of glass. If you are actually an engineer, which I doubt, you would know this. Ever wonder why many labs use Pyrex glassware? It contains boron, which makes it more resistant to heat.

Second off, you have no idea how specific heat works. The lower the specifc heat, the less energy required to make that substance hot. This means a low specific heat will cause the substance to heat up very quickly. Conversly, it will lose this energy and cool down very rapidly as well. So once again, you're wrong.

You're talking to someone who actually knows chemistry, not pretends to. If you want to try and throw around insults, you will lose, because, as you have proven, you don't even know about the field you claim to work in.

As for it being a good way to smoke, I don't know. I've never tried that. However, from the chemistry behind it, I think it would talk too much time for too little. Just buy a real vaporizer.

13. Ummmmm, quit spouting off non-relevant glass information to sound intelligent. It doesn't matter, try it, get a torch and heat up piece of glass, it only has to be hot for what? 10 15 seconds max to get a good hit and you don't have to heat it up that long. We're talking about heating up a piece of glass the size of a really small marble. And usually this is called "glow-rodding." :smoking:

14. Non-relevant glass information? I would think it's very relevant. Many types of glass will crack or shatter when put in a flame as hot as butane. I would think avoiding broken glass would be pretty relevant.

15. Just get some Opium and do this.

16. LOL im a "Civil Engineer" I had one thermo class so i know the basic theory. Sorry if it was the inverse of what i said. But i know the diff between a Calorie, calorie, BTU.... I know that dude was wrong. I did look it up though and you were correct it does take less energy to change the heat of "glass" than water.(up or down) and as far as the field all i work in....all i can do i laugh (at you scientist) you know. I have tried a Pyrex, i tried a Pyrex rod and it actuly took longer to heat as can be expected but it still wasted away after 2 weeks.

17. seems like you're talkin out of your ass, im with gator on this one :smoking:

18. Some Wikipedia quoutes for obvious idiots.

Still talking out of my ass?