Burning Man?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by CupcakeCourtney, Mar 3, 2010.

1. I've heard of it. Always thought it sounded great. But I'm a little too much of a pussy to go.
    Has anyone ever been? Any good stories?

I want to go, but ideally I'd like to go with someone who has already been. So I can get a lay of the land.

Am I being overly cautious/uptight?

2. never been there but Ive been to similar festivals and burning man is supposed to be the festival of festivals from what people have told me. The whole Idea of burning man is to throw caution to wind, If you want to go than go man it'll all be good :hippie:

3. I've been to Burning Man in South Africa (it's called AfrikaBurn here).

From what I know, it's the same as the one in the States. 5 days of living in your own little community and sharing - no money.

It was the most awesome experience of my life. It's amazing to see people's creativity, someone even had an "Ego Booth" where you 'check in' your ego and they give you a little trinket (glowsticks, candy necklaces etc) in return.

I'm not gonna lie, by the 3rd day it was difficult because we ran out of food and water (it was in a desert so there was no water supply), but people's kindness saved us from starvation and dehydration:D

As with anywhere you go where there are lots of people on drugs, it's good to be cautious. But remember, every one is there for the same reason you are - to have fun and be creative.
    There's a really good vibe so there's no reason for trepidation.

Whether you go with someone whose already been or not, I guarantee you'll have the best time of your life!:wave:

4. I've been every year (except last year) since 2003.

It's such a blast. Even during one of the sandstorms on the Playa it's still a ton of fun. I just appreciate being able to get away from cars and buildings for a week and spending it with other likeminded weirdos and drug users. There are a TON of drugs there, but there are also a bunch of alternative spirituality folks, which keeps the dynamic healthy and allows you to really explore life outside of yourself and your city anew everyday the whole week.

I don't think you're being overly cautious, OP. There are a whole lot of shady people that go to Burning Man, and not everybody is there for the right reasons. Definitely go with a friend, or, if you can, a group. I used to go with a bunch of Salt Lake City people when I lived in Utah, but since I no longer do I'm gonna link up with a bunch of Burners here in the DC area for this year.

5. Yea since freshman year, I've always really wanted to go. I looked it up and did a ton of research and it looked AWESOME. Unfortunately I'm now joining the army, so I it's going to have to wait for a couple years. Although, 4 years from now... I'm gunna be burning and tripping and rolling (The three ladies) my way down with my best bud. We're going to turn it into a roadtrip! Leave in advance cause we've been planning it for a while. Visit my old houses, some national parks, Cali, and Walmart #1. (Cause walmart let's you sleep over night.) Burning man will fit nicely in there. :hello:

6. Thanks everyone for the advice.
    Yeah, I've done some research too. It looks like one of the greatest experiences ever. My best friend and I have been really interested in going for a while now.
    We've started heightening our spirituality recently and I think that this would be a great way to meet with other "enlightened" people and just learn.
    Are the drugs a requirement?
    My friend & I are trying LSD for the first time in a couple days, so we're definitely pretty new to drugs besides weed.
    But I'm going in it with an open mind and an open heart.

Could I purchase weed or LSD when I'm there?
    You've all made me so excited about it haha

7. Dunno about burning man but as a regular festival goer in the UK i'd say always take your own (and a bit extra) cos then you have a quality gaurentee and can pass around to any decent heads you come across:smoking:

8. You'll definitely be able to buy weed and LSD once your there.

It'd be a good idea to call around first to find out whose dealers will be there so you don't have to spend hours searching, and it'll probably be more reliable than buying from someone you don't know.

Even better would be to buy before you go, there's a good chance that drugs will be more expensive once you're there (supply and demand hah).

Drugs are definitely not a requirement. I've never gone to a festival without drugs, but that's just how I am. If you get there and feel like something's not right, rather trust your instinct than take drugs because you feel like you 'have to'.

9. I prefer the real thing

[​IMG]