Burned tips - and now some wilting? HELP please! [pics]

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by superstankydank, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Hey guys I'm new to growing and Grasscity and was hoping you guys could help me get my babies back into good shape. I'm running a hydroponic system with a eLoofa LED 90W grow light that is equivalent to a 300-400 HPS light (90W LED UFO Grow Light). I just tested my pH at about 6 and the nutrients I'm using is Pure Blend ProGrow 3-2-4. For a few weeks now my clones have been getting better and worse and better and worse. They were starting to do really well aside from the very tips of the leaves on almost all my plants browning (see PIC 1). My friend said my light was too close and that was burning them so I moved it up a bit. My hydro system is on two levels, and the upper level's plants, which are 3 of my younger clones, aren't doing too well. You can see what I mean by the levels in PIC 4. Two of them have gotten worse than just the minor brown tips and are even starting to wilt and crap out towards the bottom (see PIC 2&3). The light was less than a foot over, directly above the middle of the top level and I moved it to about two feet above the middle of the lower level so the light isn't mostly directing his intensity onto the two younger unhealthy ones. Was the light my problem or is it something else? Should I move the light further away or closer? Any help is greatly appreciated as I want to get all my plants lookin like my two healthy ones. Thanks!

This is what the normal leaf-tip browning looks like. I have/have had this on the majority of my plants so far. My friend said this was happening because of my light being too close.
    PIC 1:
    [​IMG]

These are the two plants that are really starting to crap out on me. They were only suffering from the brown tips up until only today or yesterday when I noticed how wilted they were.
    PIC 2:
    [​IMG]
    PIC 3:
    [​IMG]

This is what my system looks like with the LED light on (LED off and normal light on in the other pics). The bottom level plants are doing great except for the splinted one in the middle my roommate accidentally snapped. The two top level plants on the left are the ones with the wilting problem, and that last top level one is just slacking like crazy right now. My light used to be right above where the potted baby is on the top level and the picture shows where it is now above the bottom level.
    PIC 4:
    [​IMG]

2. hey dude i can tell you that aint from the light 100%(well 99% lol) im not sure what it is, il do some research 4 ya

3. Can you check the EC of the res?

4. Dont believe you are getting the burn from the light! you may want to lower your ph ,when your plants use the nutrients the ph levels will change so what starts out at a good ph can change pretty quick. check ph regulary at fist till you get a handel on what its doing.that may be what is causing your prob your plants cant get what they need cause the ph is making elements unavailable.U may want to flush also.hope it helps.

5. check your nutrient strength. it might be too strong? I agree with Chasin, find a way to check out the EC/TDS of your reservoir

6. Can any of you recommend a good, not too costly EC/TDS tester? Or is there an alternative way to test them? I don't know much about the dissolved solid and conductivity stuff and I didn't know it would be that much of a factor.

The nutrients being too strong/too much makes sense because I've heard babies need smaller doses and its the younger ones that are having the problem.

7. #8 superstankydank, Oct 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2009
    Sorry but I'm a little broke so I won't be able to get a TDS meter til next month. I tried lowering the pH a bit and a few days after, my plants did seem to be in better health. The farthest left plant on the top level really seems to be snapping back into it. The top back middle grew a bit in height but doesnt seem to be growing new arms underneath where the other arms wilted and died. The top right plant that I didn't include a close-up of is now really bogging. He shot up a few inches as well but just like the other one, he doesn't seem to be growing new arms or leaves. His top leaves seem to be drooping and discolored a bit too. Any ideas? Thanks.

*edit: Oh I forgot to mention I also cycled out my water for new water and re-did my nutes. Maybe I put in too much nutes for the two small ones?

Here's the top middle:
    [​IMG]

Here's the top right:
    [​IMG]