Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Bump on the side of most glass pipes?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by cutlery, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Hey there, just wondering if the bump on the side of the bowl on most glass pieces is there for a reason..?
    For grip or something? Just curious:wave:

[​IMG]

2. as far as i know theyre there so they dont roll off the table and break. Not saying that that particular one would roll, but function-wise thats the way i see it.

3. poodog313 i never thought about that lol thats a good theory though i dont know much about glass blowing but i always thought that it was result of blowing the pipe but hey like i said i dont know alot about blowing glass

4. id assume its for grip

5. I'm guessing it's put there for grip and to add a little "texture" to the glass haha

6. yeah, thats true

and i guess the choke on some pipes are on diff sides, so i guess for dumb people it shows what side the choke is on :p

i dunno i guess it has many uses!

7. its to reduce the heat in the bowl is wat my stoner mentor told me backk in the day

8. I have wondered this for a long time too!
    Possible reasons i have thought of are: it makes it more ergonomic, and the best reason i could come up with is when your cashing the bowl out and if you tap it with your lighter or whatever you tap it on the bump because it's stronger than the glass, depending on the bowl.

9. eh, seems a bit far fetched to me.

10. So many reasons to use it, so why not put it on :).

Ive always thought of it as a WTH kind of thing, the blower just put it on cause he had some extra glass or he wanted to add something "cool" to up the price a few dollars....

11. this..

12. The bowl from my bong has one, and it does a good job of keeping the bowl from rolling off the table when it's not in the bong.

13. i like the idea that its there to keep your bowl cool like a heatsink :eek:

14. not all pipes have it. some people call it magnifiers because many pipes have a little design under the bump, and the glass causes it to magnify if u look at the right angle.. but its for...

grip/finger protection (if u hold it right, it will help prevent you from lighting your thumb/finger on fire)

prevent from rolling off the table

looks/design

it doesnt reduce the heat in the bowl. my bowl does have a little bump, but its not round and spherical its more like a little handle to put your thumb on.

15. it's a magnifying glass. get high then look at it and zone out.

16. Holding it in between ur fingers like where a cig would be. Its probably for grip.

17. its funny that this is kinda a unknown thing. we all have theorys, and there prob all right.

i never really thought about it. the pipe i have infront of me doesn't have one, but most my spoons do.

idk

18. its actually a small piece of candy.. go lick it. :smoking:

19. lol half these people are wrong. they so you dont burn your finger when the bowl gets hot duuuuuuudddeeeee. sometimes marbles are for grip to.