bulbs

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by whswatty, Dec 5, 2010.

1. So... working on putting a legal grow room together, first priority is obviously lighting. I'm going to need at least 1 1k watt hps setup dedicated to flowering. Though I don't have a ton of money, I do want to do this right, getting digital balasts, vented hoods, etc. However, when I was looking at bulbs, they very greatly in price. Is there are reason I should be spending an additional 70 dollars per bulb? Better yield, less stretch, longer life, less heat? If so, is it really worth it where I could be using the extra money on nut's or testing equipment or just the extra power i'll need lol.

FYI ive been mostly shopping around htgsupply as they have a shop somewhat near me and have extremely reasonable prices

2. check ebay for everything,i got both my setup's there and they work great.i bought 2 kit's w/ 1 digital ballast,the hanger's,1 mh,and 1hps,and the hood in aech kit for an unbelievable price of $170 a kit*(400 watt kits)just dont have it sent to where ur growing.

3. ok, though I have had issues with ebay in the past, ill give it a look. The question I was actually getting at though is if it is worth paying extra for "better" bulbs and what I would get out of it.

4. #4 janemba, Dec 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2010
    i would not go digital ballast (yet), there isnt a true digital bulb out yet, digi ballast run more energy to ur bulb, this is a problem, because it can create hot spots, make ur bulbs run less efficient, and reduce the life of said bulb. magnetic ballast run just as well there tried and true and a little cheaper.
    $70 is a good price for a bulb and u should replace it every or every other harvest.
    i like the hortilux super blue, there a little more $$$, but i like the blue spectrum. also they have a combo bulb, i dont remember the brand but its a dual arc 1000w -600w HPS and 400w MH in one bulb, never used them but want to give it a go one day

5. Good advice, the digital ballasts are technically more advanced than the bulbs that are supposed to go in them. Eye Hortilux Super HPS is awesome, it has more blue spectrum than a typical HPS bulb. Get it on E-bay save some bucks, I did.

6. alright cool, thanks guys, exactly what i was looking for. Thanks for the advice on the balast as well. I do see alot of arguing about which ballast is better, might be time for a little more shopping.

7. if u already have the digi balast keep it,
    good luck