Bulb Question!

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by 1994styles, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Hey guys, Im just curious , and I want to grow a single plant for my own consumption, but I have a little Q.

I was going to throw some CFLs over the plant when it gets put into a solo cup, but I heard that a 600w HPS is definately a better choice, but are these bulbs readily available? I dont have any growshops near me and no credit card, i was just wondering if you could purchase one of these at like a hardware or retail store, or if they are strictly for growing weed and can only be found in appropriate places, thanks!!

Also would this light burn or produce too much heat for a single plant? :wave:

2. I know I've seen 400 watt hid lights at lowes before. A 400 would be enough for your one plant.

3. Okay, sweet, maybe ill check out Home Hardware and Walmart...

Also these are regular bulbs right? I can get a converter and just snap it on and plug it into a power bar?

4. No, you'll need a ballast, but they sell those too. These are high intensity discharge (H.I.D.) lights.

5. HID and HPS are the same thing? I thought totally different?

6. Hps (high pressure sodium) lights are a form of h.i.d. light. Metal halide (mh) lights are also a form of h.i.d. lighting.