Bukowski fans?

Discussion in 'The Bookshelf' started by NealCaffrey, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Yessss Henry Chinaski ! I fuckin love his work. I have a fantastic collection of his work. Most are the black sparrow press ones. Factotum was great duck all his novels are great. Post office women ham on rye. His book of poetry what matters most is how well you walk through the fire is great. If you like him you may also like John fante. He was also published by black sparrow press. I must have close to 70 or 80 books by Charles buk. I have been reading him since I was 11 years old.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Another good novel by Charles is pulp

3. Respect for namedropping John Fante. His novel Ask the Dust is one of the great overlooked American novels. Unfortunately it's his only good book. His others being only weak imitations of his one masterpiece.

And Bukowski is alright. I went through my Bukowski phase as I think most young boys and men do. Ham on Rye is the only novel of his I can go back to now though. The rest of it comes off as repetitive to me.

Other books Bukowski fans should check out are Louis-Ferdinand Celine's Journey to the End of the Night and Knut Hamsun's Hunger. If you want angry, literary men thrashing the modern world in violent language look no further than these two novels. Bukowski himself praised these two writers to no end.

• Like Like x 1