Built my own growbox, need suggestions

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by thecheezman, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Ok so after researching for months and contemplating which route I want to take, I decided to build my own grow cabinet. At first I was all about buying one pre-made, but after I weighed the options and saw what was available, DIY was the best option. This will be a stealth grow and it will be in my closet, so it has to be quiet, smell-proof and quite small.

I already made the cab, but need some tips on how to finish it in the easiest/cost effective way possible. Im not on a budget, but prefer to keep the build under $400 total (including everything).

I plan on only growing 1 plant at a time and it will probably be Northern Lights to start. Id like to keep a mother with clones, but for my first ever grow Im taking it slow.

Box measures 30" tall x 16" wide x 13.5" deep

[​IMG]

I will be using the 100w Blackstar LED light. I'm using the LED to keep heat down and to actually see how it works.

I plan on using a 80mm Enermax Silence fan for intake and a pencil cup carbon filter attached to a Radio Shack 4'' 120v fan for exhaust (see link below). The intake fan is rated at 28 CFM and the exhaust is rated at 65 CFM so with the carbon filter it should hopefully be enough to keep the slightest negative pressure. I might hook up a fan speed controller for the exhaust, pending how loud it is. Let me know if you think this set-up would work.

120VAC 4" Fan : Computer Fans | RadioShack.com -120v fan

As for electrical I just plan on mounting a powerstrip inside and just running the lights off a timer and the fans off constant power. But that is the least of my worries for now.

The inside will be painted gloss white with the edges and corners caulked to prevent light and smell leaks. Possibly mylar, but the paint is what I have for now.

One big thing I need help on is how to make it smell proof. Weather stripping? Build a little frame around the inside of the box with weather stripping? I need opinions on this, I tried searching around, but not alot of people were specific on this subject.

Also for the door should I put a weather stripping on the edges to seal it better. I plan on using a cabinet lock to lock it and just some basic hinges. Its off right now until I pick up some good inside mounting hinges.

Heres my basic outline. Sorry for the crappy paint sketch, just something I did quick. Pretend the carbon filter is on the exhaust.

[​IMG]

Let me know what you all think. Id love to hear feedback good or bad. :wave:

I also posted this in the grow room/design sub-forum for those who check up there.

2. Looking good. Jealous of your drill, I really need to get my own. And the smell proof line about the weatherstripping, did you mean light proofing? And yeah weatherstripping helps a lot. Id see how well the door fits on with the hinges and the amount of light leak before you decide how to go about that. Is the pencil filter gonna be on the inside? If so, thatll be pretty big stick out up top, meaning youd have to have your light lower to make room for the filter. Are there any other ways you thought of exhausting? You could build another separate chamber on top like 6 inches tall and you could house your filter in that? Then you could have your light at maximum heigth and vent up top into the top chamber to filter and exhaust.

3. Your setup is actually similar to mine. I'm using a modified Ikea dresser and a 135w blackstar. Due to problems with keeping it stealth and airtight, I just use it for vegging. Wish I could help u there. WHen you figure it out let me know. Now I have a stacked bin setup that I'm gonna use for flowering with the blackstar. I am also testing it out, no problems with veg at all. Will switch 12/12 in a week.
    I don't see any problems with your design, I would add a small 6oz ona block near the fan just in case the diy carbon filter can't handle the NL. Also what kind of medium are you gonna use? I have had a easy time using a coco/perlite mix on my first grow.

4. Bulb, I use poly film and velcro for my cab and that has made it air and light tight. On my 400W ikea wardrobe. It 100% fixed my light leak problem from the doors, and it's sealed now which is cool.

5. Im probably going to build a frame either around the box or the door and put some weather stripping around the edges. Im not worried about light leaks bc it will be in my closet and during the day itll be on and nighttime itll be off. It sucks bc the plywood I used is kind of warped so the door doesnt sit perfectly flush, but with the frame idea I think Ill be good.

I will be adding some ona block regardless just for that added security, like I said above it is in my closet so Ill be putting 1 by the box and 1 in my room. My dog sleeps in my room so theres always funky smells coming from there. Just everyone can easily smell cannabis.

As for a medium, idk yet. Im still indecisive on the growing aspect. I want to get this box squared away first.

6. Wow great idea ty:hello: Just tried it out with some reflective film and velcro I already had. It's 80% better. I'm ordering some poly right now. Think I might also do that to the closet door, so I can use the whole closet for my grow. I knew there was a simple solution.