Building my first stealth closet grow box.

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by J4s, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Greetings GC!
    After about thirteen years of buying and enjoying herbs from the black market, I've decided it's time to take things into my own hands.

I'd like to start off by thanking the members that have made the copious amount of information here on GC so informative and invaluable. I'm amazed at how helpful and encouraging the community is, and I know I'm looking forward to the far too many hours I'll be spending here.

Now, to my build:
    I've decided that the perfect fit for the space I have available would be 2' x 3' and 5' tall. My goal is the same as anyone else - inexpensive and effective. For this, I plan to use plywood and 2x4s for the construction. PC fans for exhaust out the top through a DIY carbon filter. Inlet holes near the bottom with pvc elbows for light traps.

As stealth is very important to me, I was wondering if I should also build an ONA bucket. Would this be overkill or will the carbon filter alone suffice?

For the lighting, I hope to use CFLs. Details aren't worked out exactly yet (as far as quantity and set up).
    I'm also undecided on the inside of the box. I figured white paint would be most cost effective, but I wonder how much better the process and results would be if I invest in some mylar.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Am I missing anything vital in regards to the structural design?

I also wanted to know if it would be possible to use part of the box for vegging and another for flowering. Do I have enough space, and if so, how would you divide it?

Thanks for your time. Any comments and recommendations are more than welcome and appreciated.
    -J4s

2. Well, if you can afford the materials and space, then I don't think that any level of security is overkill when it comes to preventing a manufacturing charge.

Good luck with the grow man. I'm 17 years throwing money into the black hole, and I'll be growing my own as soon as my situation allows it, so hopefully I'll learn something by watching your grow.

3. Hey Mikayote, thanks for the response! After more reading I found that the carbon filter will take care of 99% of the smell, and it should be especially efficient for my small grow. I also heard something along the lines of ONA messin' with both the smell and taste of the buds. That makes it a total no go in my book. :p

I appreciate the good luck wishes. I'll probably need it! Haha.

After making me last post, I realized that a lot of the reason I made the post was so I could attempt to put it all in perspective in my own mind.

As much as I don't want to, I think I may settle with white paint for now to take a little bit of the start up price away. Anyone ever use the foam board type material they sell at home depot? One side is solid white, the other is solid reflective. It's around $10 a sheet for a 4x8.

For the lighting, I really would value suggestions with the CFLs. I was thinking about using these: 42w 6500k for vegging. How many should I get for my box?

Also, this may sound like a really stupid question, and I apologize beforehand, but...
    How many plants should I plan or expect my box to support all the way through flowering?

Thanks again, everyone.

4. So, been a while, any updates yet?

5. Hey, Mikayote! It's nice to see you're still interested. :] A lot (almost everything) has changed from my original plans.

The box I built is 3x2x6, made out of PVC and a thick plastic sheeting. Mylar covering the walls on the inside. I used the safety blankets available at Wal-Mart.

I also made a change in my decision for lighting. I acquired a 250w Lumatek ballast, and I'm just waiting for my lamps and socket to arrive.

Although my original plan was to stay simple and grow in soil, somewhere along the lines, this changed as well... I'm using DWC in two five gallon buckets. (Thanks, DIY guys.)

My remaining shopping list:
    Ventilation: (I want to use the 133cfm "Ultra Kaze" PC fans at newegg for $15 shipped.)
    Nutes: (Not sure yet!)

I'll post pictures when all the final pieces fall into place. :)

6. Hey J4s,

Looking forward to your grow! I'll be starting one along the same lines as you, (stealth, DIY 5 gallon DWC, 250w lighting, DIY carbon filter, and an almost similar grow size!).

quick tip: I heard these are 1,000x better than ONA gel and really cheap! Buy CVS Odor Absorbing Gel Fresh Scent online at CVS.com

Hope you keep this one active and good luck with the grow!

Peace :)