Building a tent to fit my closet

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Indicapacitated, Sep 21, 2013.

1. #1 Indicapacitated, Sep 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2013
    So I have 1 cfl grow under my belt and wasn't impressed with the quantity, although I was pretty stoked on the quality so I've decided to build a pvc/panda film tent that fills my closet.
    closets dimensions are H:7.8 ft D:2.1ft W:5.1 ft

So far I've put together a list
    Lights:used 1x150 watt HID 1x400 watt HID w/ hood and ballast
    Exhaust fan
    PVC pipe
    panda film
    ducting
    zipper?
    air filter
    Thermometer/hydrometer
    Nutes
    Pots (size?)
    Ph test kit

what am I missing?

2. #2 Simms7859, Sep 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2013
    thermometer something to show high and lows with humidity. walmart 10 bucks will cover you. 

3. Nutrients, either organic and in the soil or bottled nutes

You will get to harvest without them most likely, but youll get 10 times more with them

4. #4 Indicapacitated, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2013
    Sorry, I wrote this at like 3 am trying to keep my eyes open. I'll update the op with what I already have

5. If you have difficulty with humidity or want to reduce smell, I would invest in a Honeywell HEPA room filtration unit from Ebay.  I have several from small to large room versions and when combined with the carbon filters they really help eliminate mildew and reduce odor.  If you really really worry about odor, you could stick a dryer sheet inside a local exhaust duct or a small room filter outside the closet (don't want to smoke Morning Dew scented bud lol).  I also used the filter to add cooling to the bulb (the large room version I have blows almost straight up) as I currently lack a duct/fan system for my lighting setup.  I had to sacrifice some grow area, but I felt the good out weighed the bad for me.  Be sure to secure the PVC pipes together once you have it built.  Course thread drywall screws work well.  Large binder clips work well for holding the mylar to the pipes, leaving you an easy way to adjust as needed.  Very rarely they can pop off from the spring tension, I just over engineered mine with plenty of redundancy.

Glad to hear you are able to make the switch to HID vs CFL.  I also started with CFL, thinking it would save me money via lower power consumption.  Turns out that is generally not the case.  I do recommend a good pair of sunglasses while inside the tent with HID.  It can be hell on your eyes, especially with mylar.  Main thing you will need to adjust will be distance from top of plant to bulb in the switch.  Back of hand is a great test for heat.  If after 10 seconds it is bothering you, it is definitely bothering the plant.  Good luck to you and happy puffs to all :smoke:  !  I hope you find this useful.   :bongin:

6. thanks a lot! the binder clip idea is great! and didn't think of securing the pvc pipes lol you're post is very helpful.

I was wondering what size pots are recommended and if anyone knows of a zipper option?