building a grow room

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by HubertGarfunkle, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Rather then going out and buying a $800 tiny grow tent I have decided to make my own.

I am going to make a 8' W x 8' L x 6' H grow room out of 2x4's and plywood. Essentially I am just going to make a large box. My question is will this be safe if I am using hps lights? I dont the box to catch on fire or anything like that.

2. I would go higher then 6 feet if you can. Once you get lights and stuff in that can leave you about 4 1/2 of max grow hieght if using HID lighting. Also take into consideration heat, ventalation and what not. We have a 6X7X7 grow room and with a 1k HID light we have to use a window AC in the summer. As for fire hazzard if your not good at running electrical wiring and such and having it upto code hire a licensed electrician. Better safe then sorry. If the wiring isnt upto code and you do have a fire your insurance company can refuse to cover any damages if your in a medical marijuana state. In our grow rooms we have smoke detectors and a good fire exstinguisher outside the grow room door.