building a grow box

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by farmerchris21, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Ok so I am building a grow box inside my closet I need it to be portable cause I am moving very soon. I only need room for one or two plants. I am wondering how big I should make it. Or something I could use as a coffee table would be good too. Any suggestions on how to get started.

2. #2 Tok3v3lli, Oct 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2012
    if your putting it in a closet then you could build your own grow box the size you need and just add caster wheels to the bottom... all you need are your measurements and you build the frame with 2"x2" (super cheap)boards and measure out the sides on mdf (not so cheap if you need more than one)sheets which any wood supplier will know what your talking about... then cut holes for ventilation and wiring fix up the light leaks and your golden... for one or two plants you could get away with a 2'x2' but depending on the lighting your gunna use youll need to regulate the temps cuz HID lights get way hot way fast... since Im not sure what your really goin for thats all the advice I can give... Im fairly new at this myself but thought Id drop some info cuz I was frustrated when no-one responded to my box question... heres the thread on the one I just built and some blades are giving me some advice...

http://forum.grasscity.com/micro-grows/1122097-my-first-hydro-cabinet.html

http://forum.grasscity.com/micro-grows/1122097-my-first-hydro-cabinet.html

3. Thanks for the info. I got the box made. Used an old box I had around the house. I am still building it but I have already put the plants in it. I am currently using a 40w CFL. It is soft white. Not sure if I should use daylight or not. The seeds were germinated on tuesday so they are less than a week old. Its looking good so far need to get a better thermometer so I can get heat readings but I should have one later tonight. Any other help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for responding.
    Chris

4. If you don't know what light spectrum to veg with you need to do some reading, what are your plans for the box in the end.

If you want to save some money a lot if not all you need in the box can be DIY just do some searches. By the way you want 6700k for veg not 2700k. 1 cfl will work for a bit after they break ground but I would suggest a few more..

5. Wicked is right, does sound like you should read a little more into it first. Why not wait until you move?? Sounds risky to have to move your grow op. You should use 100w of actual watts per plant. That means if you have 23w 6500k CFL's, then you should use 4-5 bulbs. I have 8 bulbs on mine of a mixed spectrum between daylight & soft white.