Building a grow box -- help with design?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by incliffwetrust, Aug 9, 2012.

1. After being unable to find a cabinet JUST the right size for this nook in my closet, I'm going to take it upon myself to build a grow box on my own.

As far as total clearance, I have something like this to work with:

20" (L) x 24" (W) x 48" (H)

That's about the maximum space I could dedicate to a project like this. My question is -- do you think that's adequate space for two plants? If you guys think it might be a squeeze, I'm more likely to just narrow the box down a bit and stick with a single plant. Subtracting a foot for light fixtures and the pot, I'm hoping to get two three-foot girls out of this.

Also, thoughts on mounting lights on the sides as they grow? Feel like it's something that'd require minimal extra effort for significantly greater yield. Assuming I have about 150W per plant altogether, does it matter where its coming from so long as the plant is getting light?

Many thanks.

2. How are you going to get a 3' plant in a 2' grow box?
    I would make it at least 4' tall, 3' wide, and 2' deep.

You should place the lights at the top of the plant. When the plant grows larger you'll need light to get to the bottom branches, then you can place more (CFLs I'm guessing?) on the side.

Don't forget about ventilation and odor control!