Grasscity - Cyber Week Sale - up to 50% Discount

Building a Computer!

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by wickedjoker, Dec 30, 2012.

1. #1 wickedjoker, Dec 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2012
    Sup blades, I don't usually post in the vAlley but I do lurk occasionally. I figure this would be the most appropriate spot for this thread.

I'm going to build a PC for high-end gaming and music production, it's going to be my first PC build so hopefully all goes well. I've heard it's not very hard though, and I've got plenty of tutorials to follow.

But, if any of you have experience with building or repairing computers, all advice and suggestions are welcome. I'm going to start off with buying a case, but I'm still unsure of what to get. All I know is that I want it to be as quiet as possible and large enough to hold all of the necessary components. :rolleyes:

Budget: $600-1,000
    (already have monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc)

2. Any Atx mid tower should do.

What specs are you wanting in it?

3. I'll look into the Atx cases. What is the purpose of a full tower? They seem excessively large from what I've seen on Newegg.com.

I'm not entirely sure... Obviously I want a lot of RAM, I know I want a good sound card so that I can record and edit music properly, and I wanna get a nice video card so that I can play whatever games I want. But in terms of precise specifications I'm still brainstorming and researching.

Any recommendations?

4. whats your budget?

and the difference between mid and full towers is just size really. if you want to put a lot of things into your computer such as more hard drives, more video cards, water cooling, etc you may want to go with a full tower. i currently have a cooler master HAF 912 mid tower and it runs really cool and the fans are next to silent. just get something you think looks nice since that is what everybody sees. i would try to stick away from leds since i think they are annoying.

5. For sound cards I recommend the Asus Xonar DX.

But before any of that, what's your budget?

6. #6 Jumbo, Dec 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2012
    Id go mid tower, unless you plan to watercool. That's the only reason i justify a full tower PC, unless you need the extra room for a huge motherboard.

As for what i recommend for a case, id recommend NZXT, Cooler Master, Silver Stone (expensive but amazing quality), Corsair. Check out cases in your budget, pick one that you like to look at because you will be looking at it for a while lol. Dont buy on impulse...

Water cooling is going to be more silent than air cooling, but you still need fans to push or pull on the rads so either way you got fan noise. granted not as loud, but still...

For buying things, use newegg.com tigerdirect.com amazon.com or search around but make sure its a site you can trust. Newegg is great for their service IMO. Easy returns and what not. Amazon is good for free shipping.

Whats your build budget going to be? And does it include peripherals?

7. My current budget is about $600, I'll have more over the next 2 months. I'd like to keep it under $1000.

I've been looking into the Cooler Master cases, they look good for the price.

I will look into that sound card, I've heard good things about ASUS in general.

I probably won't go with water cooling, just because it's expensive and I think I'll be fine with air cooling as long as I can find silent fans and a quiet case. And I'm pretty sure I'll be using newegg.com, that's where I've been browsing so far.

And yes I have a keyboard, mouse, speakers, and a 24" LED display :D (i'm stoked about that part) So I just need cables, wires, all the components of the actual computer itself.

8. So you are going to buy it part by part while saving up?

Sucks but you gotta do what you gotta do. Id recommend doing the grand, 600$ can get you a decent build, but 1000 could get you a great computer.

Asus makes great parts, specifically GPU, motherboard and sound card

MSI makes good GPU and motherboards too

EVGA is another great GPU option

Corsair and G Skillz have good bang for buck on RAM

Western digital is all i buy for HDD's

idk what else to say, im really stoned lol. Newegg is great for reviews too, make sure you read them. but dont trust them all, some are just noobs that are pissed they broke something by doing it wrong.

9. id suggest getting an i5 3570k. awesome cpu and runs at about 20c-25c on idle with a stock cooler. plus you will have the option to overclock if you want in the future. 8gigs of ram seems to be the standard right now and shouldnt cost you more then $60 on newegg, make sure its ddr3 though since ddr2 is outdated.

10. Yeah I'm currently a broke college student so I can't just go out and buy everything I need all at once unfortunately lol, but I'll most likely go over budget by the time my PC is 100% the way I want it. It will be cool to see it come together though, and I'll be sure to post pics here as I progress. I'll keep in mind all the brands you mentioned when looking for parts, and I really appreciate the advice man!

I'll look into that i5 cpu and see if it's in my price range and how it compares to others, but it sounds pretty bad ass. Also, thank you for mentioning that bit about ddr3, I'll definitely be sure to remember that.

11. good luck man, it is a great experience.

what parts have you decided on so far?

12. yea if you have any questions about specific parts just post some links

13. Hey guys so I'm still browsing around Newegg checking out parts within my budget range, but I'm confused about what type of power supply I should get.

I see 400w, 600w, 1000w, etc. but I'm not sure what I need.

Any suggestions?

And do you guys recommend buying my case and power supply separate or in a bundle?

14. What parts do you have in mind? Pick your parts first, but do not skimp on the psu.

Shitty quality psus can ruin your whole computer, they are arguably the most important component in a pc.

Some brands to look for are corsair, xfx, and antec.

Also, separate. A lot of psus that come with cases suck.

15. #15 Buddy Dink, Jan 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2013
    Full tower versus mid tower is really a question of cooling and management. If you aren't going to be constantly switching out hard drives or expansion cards it isn't too big a deal to stick with mid tower (and they are generally cheaper). Airflow is really the important part of a case. Don't just get a case with tons of fans, you need proper flow. The best airflow cases have intake on the front and exhaust on the rear and/or top. I prefer positive pressure or neutral pressure (intake CFM greater than or equal to exhaust CFM) for cooling and dust collection purposes. Lian-Li, which makes great cases, has an off shoot brand called LanCool, and you can get really nice mid tower cases for about $60-70. This is what I would recommend.

Processors? Right now I would suggest an i5 Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge. Unfortunately it will get harder to upgrade your components with custom PCs as SoCs start to become the norm. I believe Intel is talking about distributing any new chips with the Haswell architecture and beyond pre-mounted on a motherboard, not removable. Anyway, an i5 should be great for your purpose, and I'd suggest getting a locked multiplier CPU simply for cost reasons. If this is your first build there is no reason in getting a CPU with an unlocked multiplier. If you are talking about editing music and playing games any of the locked i5 Sandy or Ivy bridge processors will do.

Because you (probably) won't be buying an unlocked multiplier CPU, you can save money on your motherboard, too. The chipsets that don't allow you to overclock natively are significantly cheaper. A nice B75 Intel motherboard would do nicely.

Memory? Get 8 gigabytes of DDR3 PC3 12800 which will run at 1600 MHz. This is more than enough to multitask, play games, and edit music. You will enjoy it.

As far as graphics are concerned, I prefer nVidia because in the past their driver support has been better compared to ATI. They are much more on par now, and you will probably be able to find a 7000 series card that is more in your price range than nVidia. Don't rule out nVidia 500 and 600 series cards, though, because you may be able to find something in your price range there as well.

I don't know much about sound cards unfortunately :(.

Power supply? You won't need more than a 600w PSU, and you could probably get away with smaller, like 500w. The important thing to look at with a power supply is actually not the advertised wattage, but the amperage on the 12v rail, how many 12v rails, and the 80+ efficiency rating. A 500w 80+ gold PSU with a single ~40A 12v rail will last you forever and run whatever the hell you want it to. If you need to, go with an 80+ silver or bronze, but if you can afford it I would go with gold.

I would definitely suggest a solid state drive, but the price is still high compared to HDDs as far as capacity is concerned, and both games and music can take up a lot of space. I would suggest getting a Western Digital hard drive of some kind. Try to make sure it spins at 7200 rpm and has SATAIII connectivity. This isn't crucial, but it helps. WD makes some "green" hard drives that are very cost effective, but have lower RPMs (which makes load times faster) for energy efficiency. I imagine anywhere from 1TB to 2TB ought to hold you over for a while.

You probably want an optical drive of some kind, and if you can afford it I would suggest a BluRay disc capable drive. This isn't necessary, it is just a form of future proofing and may come in handy to watch movies as a college kid. A DVD drive will do the same job, though.

If you don't have an operating system, you can buy Windows 8 Pro off of the Microsoft website for $40 as long as you have a way to install it. Either the ability to put it on a thumb drive or DVD. Most motherboards can boot from USB drives now, so it is worth thinking about. Otherwise Windows 8 will cost you about $70 which is still not bad.

I would suggest something like this:

CPU: Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-3330 Ivy Bridge 3.0GHz (3.2GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2500 BX80637i53330
    Motherboard: Newegg.com - MSI B75A-G43 LGA 1155 Intel B75 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
    RAM: Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL
    PSU: Newegg.com - SeaSonic G Series SSR-550RM 550W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
    GPU: Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100355-1GOCL Radeon HD 7850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card OC Version
    HDD: Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    Case: Newegg.com - ZALMAN Z5 Plus Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
    Optical Drive: Newegg.com - ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - CD / DVD Burners

Obviously you can choose better than I can, this computer isn't for me. Besides, this is about $750, which is $150 over your original budget. This is a pretty good gaming rig that will stay cool, last you for a long while, and be as upgradeable as it can be. I didn't link a sound card, because like I said I don't know much about them.

16. Thank you so much for taking the time to put this together man! I really appreciate all of your advice and i'll certainly be keeping your suggestions in mind as I order parts. I'll be sure to +rep as soon as i'm on my laptop again.

17. No rep necessary, just don't buy stuff without researching. Tom's Hardware is a good resource to start with. I would just hate to see someone spend their hard earned (and scarce!) money on something they may not need because it is the hip or cool thing to buy instead of the right purchase for you.

The PC building community is full of a lot of people claiming to be "enthusiasts" and they turn their nose at certain pieces of hardware or certain companies... Don't let these people fool you, do your research.

18. I think I'm going to end up using most of the parts you linked. They all look good to me.

19. i reccomend just waiting till you have the $1,000. prices in parts can drop considerably within 2 months.

20. I'm not buying everything right now, just a couple things to get started. There's no reason I shouldn't order a case and psu right now, those parts don't get much better or cheaper than they already are.