Building a Cold Frame with Dankohzee

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by dankohzee, Mar 27, 2009.

1. [quote name='"Wharfrat74"']

I'm reporting this thread for stickiness..(and I suggest others do also :wave: :smoke: )

It's a simple read/DIY ..and maybe we can get some other Cold Frame designs up in here.

Wharf[/quote]

I will definitely post my cold frame soon:)

2. I think this deserves a bump and a sticky :D

3. D'oh... I was supposed to sticky this last week.

4. Double woot!

5. Here's the dude who got the ball Rollin. A supermod agreed, I thought this was stickied 3 years ago.

Good to see you in the city lately Dank, maybe now you'll hang a bit more.

6. i'll be sure to post some pics soon !

and glad it's here for more people to see and learn from now :D

7. Thats sweet dude,Thanks for the killer instructions! Gonna save me a lot of leg work trucking my stuff inside and out! I can think of the perfect place to make this blend in too!

8. A hidden gem of thread by the honorable Danko, I cant believe I just found it, I'm gonna build one and grow me some winter lettuce this year.

9. This thread rocks......!
    Recent 1st time outdoor attempt went well, regardless of a late spring start. This winter begins the prep for next spring. This forum is going to be my part time job....

10. I have actually used one of these in the winter one year because I live up in the north like you do where I've seen -30 F before. And it kept it warm enough to get to flower and smoke. I used heating pads and blankets in the night and stacked bricks and snow against it. Thats right you can grow out side in the winter with one of these at negitive temps. I easily found that this was way too time consuming to do far into the winter though if you have a tight scedual. I buried it 12'' into the ground and put 2 layers of tarp underneath it. I didn't make it though, it was a friend who built it, I just added the bottom extension to put it that deep into the ground. I also packed the sides with hay for insulation by adding a board onto the inside using plywood all around the inside. This is also how I found out how hay was flammable when wet. :( Sad to say it burned in the spring.

11. You should paint the inside black, or even fill it with cans of water that are painted black, and seal it up as best as possible.

12. Actually black retains heat and absorbs the light it's self. White on the other hand reflects the light away from the paint. This gives the plant the light instead of the box. Why do you think growers paint their grow rooms white instead of black? It has to do with color spectrum absorption into the plant instead of into the paint. White will maximize color deflection onto the plant and black will minimize it.

13. Well I thought the point was to keep it warm during colder temperatures. It needs thermal mass(black paint, black water cans ect) in order to stay warm once the temperature dips down. I dont see coloring it black as a problem if it is getting enough BTUs of light. If warmth isnt the goal than it would be better to paint the inside red and blue.

14. #34 Freeit, Jan 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2013
    Naw. That's why the outside is black it retains the heat though absorbing the heat from the black paint on the outside warming the walls of the structure and therefore the inside. When it comes to the color of the box on the inside you want the box the reflect towards the plant in stead of absorbing the light into the walls on the inside. For the most part the window itself should make an almost green house effect with-in the structure and therefore keeping it warm on a cold day. You almost always want to maximize the reflection of the sun to the plant itself when it comes down to a cold winter/spring day since the sun is not at the full effect like the summer months. The green house effect will do a good job at keeping it warm.

15. I live in Maine too and have a cold frame, it works insanely well. New England growing is brutal

16. okay so Im a month from sping can i just put some planted mj seeds in a cold frame and they will grow?

17. So if I have plants I started in mid may outside am I screwed? I lost one to the cold cause it was much colder longer then usual this year and went down to 28-32 degrees a few nights.

18.  Excellent job Danko!!!! Did you post the out of pocket expense for this work of art??? I used to have a homemade one but it wasn't even close to the quality of craftsmanship that you did. The problem with mine was where to put it when not in use. I have a cramped area that might also get me on the TV show Hoarders but my Wife spoiled me and bought me a  Juwell Cold Frame for 150 bucks. It breaks down and goes back into it's original box for storage. But that's why I asked you what you had in your's just to point out the savings on building your own vs buying one like myself!!Good Growing :bongin:  :bongin:  :bongin:  :bongin:  :bongin:  :gc_rocks:

19. #39 Fresh Ronin, Nov 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2014
    I'm going to try this, I live In Vermont, so I face all of the same challenges. Short summer, brutal winter.

I was thinking you might be able to pull this effect of with a couple of rubber maids and plexi. Any thoughts blades? 💭💭💭

Sent directly from my mind

20. Excellent pictorial and good advice..i have one that i have also wired for power. .installed a power bar and a few cfls on timer for supplemental light to extend day and add heat.