Building a cabinet - please help with some details

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Stingray, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Hi

I am new around here and could use some guidance :)

I am planning to build a 4x3 ft cabinet with lower chamber for mothers and clones and an upper flowering chamber. I am looking at installing a 600W HPS in the flowering chamber.

I am unsure about ventilation though and hope to get some ideas from ppl in the know :eek: The total volume of the cabinet is ~97 cubic foot or 2760 litres. Supposedly the ventilation system must be capable of exchanging the complete air every 1-2 minutes. From the filter there will be ~18 ft of 10" tube leading into the roof cavity as exhaust...

Ventilation

1) Can I get away with an exhaust fan only (eg passive intake) ?
    2) Would it make sense to install a second (less powerful) fan in the roof cavity at or near the end of the tube?
    3) Odor-Sok filter - anyone tried it?
    4) If I have a powerful fan permanently turning over air, isn't this going to waste generated CO2?

Hydro setup

5) What tray depth do I need for an ebb & flood setup that draws plenty of air to the roots?
    6) How many flood cycles do I need to run every 24 hrs (expanded clay as medium)?
    7) Is there anything about an ebb & flood setup that makes it unsuitable for organic nutes?
    8) Recommendations for an organic / hydro compatible nutrient that makes big budz? :D

I know I am asking a lot. Thanks for your help :hello:

2. Anyone else? :wave:

3. You need to watch the grow green series. Just google "grow green" It will pop up. This dude posted the entier indoor growth process from start to harvest on youtube. I set my grow room up the same way this guy did, and man what a great set up. I think the series is 11 vids and well worth watching each and everyone. My first crop of 4 White W and AK plants produced about 1 lb. Great smoke I am here to tell ya. TAKE NOTES: Make dam sure you control the environment as stated in the videos. You will be very happy with your harvest.

CSMOKER

4. Thanks for that mate! I got a couple of pretty good books here too but still not sure about all the details..

5. A lot of full-fledged greenhouses run nothing more than an exhaust fan, so I don't see why you couldn't do the same. It's just a matter of blowing enough heat out that you don't run too hot inside the cab.

And yeah, your exhaust will waste CO2. If you want to do both you need to have enough exhaust power that you only have to run it a few minutes at a time, like say 10 minutes an hour or something like that. That way you can synch your CO2 system to fire up right after the fan shuts off and turn off a little while before the next fan cycle, to minimize the amount of CO2 you waste. It's more complicated, but if you're gonna grow big you have to go the extra mile.