Build your own grow cabinet system.

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by TranceKid, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Good to hear that :) even with a carbon scrubber on it?

2. Yeah it should be fine. Although, this also depends on the temperature of the air going into the box... If the air is 60-70F, then you shouldn't have much of a problem but if the temps are 80+, you might have a little bit of a heat issue. :eek:

3. During the day the lights are off but the temp is 76 at night its about 70 and I really appreciate the help man

4. this probably sounds like a dumb question but im brand new to this im growing low ryder 2 whats the smallest size grow box i can fit them in ? they can get up to 12-16 inches please let me know if you can help me out in any way

5. I'd say the smallest would be a PC case grow using this pc Newegg.com - Broadway Com Corp R-800 Black thick Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

That would be pretty nice. with 21" of height you can fit a good amount of CFLs (4-6 depending on what power strip you use).

With CFLs, you need 100w for your first plant and then 50w per additional plant, so you'd need 150w. So having 6 26w CFLs, 3-4 pc exhaust fans and decent intake temperatures and its very doable. :D

6. o thank you so much man

7. building your own grow box is fun. experiment with it and its quite easy. don't stress over it and keep it simple

8. This is the box i made. I like to 3d model (to the inch) out all my boxes and plans. This way i can see the box in 3d space and plan out the system.

If i were to build this box again i would make it taller longer and wider (made to specs of old closet.)

Evil :smoke:

Attached Files:

• Box2.jpg
      Box2.jpg
      File size:
      97.3 KB
      Views:
  9. Very nice design! What program did you use?

10. #110 BoroM, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2011
    Hey Guys, been a member/lurker for a long time and lost my account. Planning on making a small stealth cab in the next few months, this will be my first stealth cabs but not my first grow. Specs are roughly 1.5' D x 2' W x 2.5' H ply cabinet painted flat white. I will be running approximately 150 watts total using CFLs. Mainly my questions are regarding air flow and odor control. Would a 4" Duct fan with a DIY Carbon filter be over kill for a cab of this size? I'm between that and using a CPU fan but I'm not confident if the CPU fan will be able to generate enough CFM with a carbon filter attached. The Duct fan I am currently looking at functions at 65 CFM which, I am under the impression, should be able to generate negative pressure in my cab if I use passive intakes. Thoughts on duct fan vs. pc fan for a grow this size? Also smell can easily become an issue for this op due to genetics of my plants and the location in a not very friendly MJ state.

Appreciate any information.

11. My cpu fans are 85 cfm from radioshack I'm gunna rig a diy carbon filter I have confidence it will work. And btw ommdog thx for all the help if u Wanna follow my journal in my sig 'lst question' you can see the box :) its pretty fucking sweet if I must say so myself ha

12. I installed diy carbon filters on my 70 CFM fans. It pretty much made them useless. Good luck to you. If they work and maintain the flow, post your design! :)

13. I shall do I will keep it fairly small as I knw too much will do nothing except restrict airflow and I have an intake so too much restricted airflow on the exauast would serve no purpose in having a carbon filter

14. Yeah.... if you want a carbon filter, gotta go with a 4" duct fan or inline fan...:eek:

15. google sketch up. It is free. and prefect for this kind of stuff

16. Hey BoroM,

A 4" duct fan should give you good ventilation, and still provide some negative pressure. I picked up an S&P TD-100 for a cabinet about the same size, maybe just a bit bigger. It's quiet in that you don't hear the fan, but you can hear the airflow, so it's not perfectly silent. To maintain negative pressure, just make sure you don't make the passive intakes too large. For good light-tight passive intake vents, try 4" darkroom louver vents. Two or three of these will do fine. Start w/ two, and if your temps are too high, you can always add a third.

I've never tried PC fans for this purpose, mainly because of the drop in CFM when you add the filter to the system. I assumed (maybe in error) that PC fans just wouldn't be powerful enough both to ciruculate the air within the cabinet as well as "clean" the exhaust via the filter. The duct fan is fine.

If odor is likely to become an issue, you might want to bite the bullet and get a good carbon filter, particularly as you get to flowering. Be sure to keep your humidity in check w/ a carbon filter. Adding a small humidifier is a nice way to keep your plants happy and temps in check, but too much humidity passing through the activated carbon will wear it out fast. Those filters ain't exactly cheap either!

Good luck, and feel free to hit me up with design questions. I'm no expert by any stretch, but I did a whole heap of research before and while building a cabinet, and I'm glad to pass along what I've learned.

-L4B

17. I found a place that sells fans that might as well be a PC fan, except it's about double the size. AC Fans | AC Cooling Fans | CFM AC Axial Fan :: U.S. TOYO

They list their CFM and their decibels, or how loud it is, which is good info for growing. Mine is whisper quiet. Also, they're AC powered so you don't need to worry about an AC to DC power adapter. Just wire 'em up :D

I've got my own stealth cab that I just started. Link in my sig.

18. Great link! Thanks!

Would you mind posting up some pictures of the design you're currently using in your grow?

19. Sure, but it's also all in my journal. I have yet to get my exhaust set up, but I would say the cab is about 90% done.

It's about 2x4x6, but split into two halves with a shelf at the top. I can take those out if I need the room:

10-14 015.jpg

10-14 020.jpg

The rig for the lights is made out of PVC with lamp sockets. I'm using three 27 watt CFL's right now, during flowering I may go as high as six 42 watters.

10-14 018.jpg

20. I think you will need more CFM, sir. I believe if you throw a filter on that 4 inch 65 cfm duct fan, you will be a world of hurt. I don't think of a carbon filter as overkill, but rather a preemptive measure. :) Although, that duct fan with no filter would probably get you by. Too much exhaust is better than not enough imo.