Build me a gaming PC! (please?)

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by Reflection Eternal, Aug 10, 2012.

1. #1 Reflection Eternal, Aug 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2012
    Disclaimer: I am not an animator. I do not use Maya. I actually found a nice configuration on ebay that came with a monitor so I caved, call me what names you will. :devious: Thanks for all the suggestions though, if I make any modifications or additions I know who to ask. Let the flamewar die?

2. #2 Komatic, Aug 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2012
    How can you have graduated in a degree for games development and not know how to build a rig? Also is that £1000 or $1000?

I would start by looking at a Silver Stone case if your going for a Micro ATX build. If size and space is not an issue then go for a ATX build in a Cosmos S or Cosmos 1000. Hands down cooler master made the best case with dust filters everywhere!

There would have been a time when I would recommend buying brand new parts because of lifetime warranty, however most manufactures have stopped providing that. Not sure about BFG.

Show what you've came up with so far....

Case:
    CPU:
    GPU:
    Mobo:
    RAM:
    PSU:
    Optical:
    HDD:
    Speakers:
    Screens:

With a grand budget you should be looking to buy second hand stuff and at least having enough money for an SSD any size with a 1TB HD. Don't forget that you want x3 screens for full multitasking. Check Ebay for some 1650x1050 Samsung monitors. There pretty cheap.

Excluding the mouse, keyboard & speakers.... This is what you want the build to feel like! [​IMG]

3. I appreciate your condescension, really, but I came here because I didn't want to spend hours cross-referencing different components and finding what is compatible with what. I don't even know what a Micro ATX build is, but of course I want an efficient case as far as heat disbursement.

I will look into what you listed after work, but the money I have is in USD. I'm not a big fan of multi-monitor setups -- I'd rather put the cash into the processor, video card, or more RAM.

4. ESEA is in conjunction with Newegg to give you deals until CS:GO is released.

idk if it's exactly what you're looking for, but figured it wouldn't hurt!

Newegg.com - CS:GO

5. You will see the letters ATX on motherboards and computer cases, it is used to denote that the motherboard or case, adheres to the standard screw patterns, an ATX motherboard will fit nicely into an ATX case.

@OP; I would strongly suggest to start on Newegg.com - Computer Parts, Laptops, Electronics, HDTVs, Digital Cameras and More! and start filling up a wishlist with the components you will need (here are the components you will need)

Case:
    CPU:
    VideoCard:
    Motherboard:
    RAM/Memory:
    Power supply:
    HDD:
    Speakers: (optional, you can use just a headset if you prefer)
    Monitor:

I advise starting with either a case or a motherboard (ensure both use ATX screw patterns) and then move on to the power supply, a 700-850 W will be plenty for what you will end up with, unless you choose to use 2 video cards, or one beastly one.

Just play around on new egg selecting one of each component you will need and post them here and we can go from there, dont worry too much about going over budget atm because its not like you are ordering right this minute, you will have time to select other things and get feedback from people here. But yes, just start picking out parts and post a list in here so people can see what you got going on, otherwise we cant really help much past how things *should* work.

there are also titloads of videos on youtube of how to install and put together a pc from scratch, so don't sweat that part, it is very easy to follow tutorials on.

6. #6 Dabbed, Aug 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2012
    12gb of ram? quite a bit of overkill. 8gb is more then enough. just grab a phenom II x6 because your going to be using programs that utilize cores (I'm assuming) it does a good job on games too, especially those that utilize all 6 cores. (not all games are programmed to)

Cooler Master Elite 310 11-Bay ATX Mid Tower Window Case Cooler Master RC-310-BWN1-GP Elite 310

AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0GHz 4x512KB Socket AM3 Quad-Core CPU AMD HDX945WFGMBOX Phenom II X4 945

Cool Power Performance CP-P700 700W 20+4-pin ATX Power Cool Power CP-P700

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB DDR5 PCI Express (PCIe) Dual NVIDIA 288-6N194-XXXXX GeForce GTX 550 Ti

Western Digital VelociRaptor WD800HLFS 80GB SATA/300 Western Digital WD800HLFS

Samsung SpinPoint F1 HD103UJ 1 Terabyte (1TB) SATA/300 Samsung HD103UJ

Patriot G-Series Sector 5 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 RAM 1333MHz Patriot Memory PGV38G1333ELK G-Series Sector 5

ASUS M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 AMD 880G Socket AM3 ATX Motherboard ASUS M4A88T-V EVO/USB3

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=BLK-DV-W524GS100-DO-R&cat=DVD

there you go, all the parts you need to build a kick ass computer for cheap. that's my favorite shop. geeks.com >newegg any day. i live 5 minutes from the warehouse.

thats all for a total of 460$ w/o tax & shipping. save that other half grand. I've been building all my own computers since I was about 12 years old. always very interested in hardware and how to put computers together and get them to work (both with hardware and software)

7. #7 Reflection Eternal, Aug 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2012
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I spent the last hour looking into this stuff, I guess I can't get around that, but it's certainly been easier given some direction. I do like the idea of not spending a grand and still getting what I want, but I'm keen on getting quality, up-to-date stuff. The Phenom above looks like a great deal, but knowing it was released in 2009 is almost a deathblow in my "only the latest" tendencies. Think I could find one of the latest quad cores from Intel for under $200? I know I said I preferred Nvidia because they seem to have the performance edge, but I'm tentatively looking at the Radeon HD 7850 which I've seen for a little under $250. Thoughts?

Will 8GB of DDR5 RAM truly be enough to run very intensive programs and allow for multitasking out the ass? The other thing I'm wondering about is if I should go for a SSD or a traditional HDD. I've seen a few combination components that feature both -- a SSD for a kind of quick-access cache and then a HDD for a buttload of storage if I remember, but is that as good an idea as it sounds? I guess I'll be going about this kind of randomly, but I would like to decide on the processor, video card, and RAM before figuring out the rest, as those are also what I want to spend the most on. Anyhow, time to sleep and think about it more tomorrow, hope to continue the discussion then!

P.S. I've been randomly looking at craigslists near me and I came across this. Should I bite?

8. Given the price.... Uhm.. Yeah I Guess.
    TBH it is allot better if you build it yourself. The knowledge is really helpful.

I like Dabbed's list, however I would swap out the case for a Cosmos and maybe change the 550 to a 6950. Also you will need a custom heat sink for your processor.

9. i would advise getting 12gb or more of ram esp if you are game designing and using programs like Maya and such. Without question.

either way its cheap as fuck so you can always add more also

10. Lol, why do you advise him to get 12gb? that's so much memory, too much memory. even the most extreme of workstation PC's honestly need only 8gb, for rendering, etc. save the money from the memory and invest it in the processor (something that's going to make a difference other then another 4gb of memory.)

11. because its cheap and you cant have too much memory, he also said he wants to do multitasking out the ass and im assuming multitasking with various 3-d game design programs and many other things is going to add up.

12. its not exactly that cheap its just unnecessary

13. your not knowing what your talking about is the problem here

14. #15 Dabbed, Aug 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2012
    yep, i don't know what i'm talking about. good thinking there smart guy. you tell me what programs he's going to be using simultaneously using to use 12gb of RAM. that's a fuck ton of accumlated memory, you should see the shitty ass computers that most game design companys use (they use standard computers, dell, HP, with a upgraded video card and maybe extra ram. nothing special. imagine them buying them all custom gaming rigs with 12gb of RAM or a alienware or 1000$ computers. at least that's how it was at THQ) and they're all capable of simultaneously running the same programs. how is he going to use all that memory without stressing out the processor intensely? that's called bottlenecking. you wont use all that memory before your CPU is maxing out 100%. instead of wasting money on memory that wont be used, use that extra 50$ for a better processor. or even put it towards the video card.

i dont think you know what you're talking about bro.

15. lol.

anyone who knows anything about computers knows programs like photoshop, or video encoding/rendering programs can and will use as much ram as you let them, and they support multicore + mutli channel ram, ram is cheap, more = better, if you got the money, no reason not to.

CS5 can and will EASILY extend beyond 15gb ram usage in seconds

16. #17 Dabbed, Aug 12, 2012
    completely irrelevant to the programs that he stated in his first post. now we're talking about photoshop? 8gb is completely enough for most standard photoshop rendering. what do you think he's rendering video wise, a major production film? why/when would he be using 15gb? you tell me. and obviously they support multicore processors and multi channel ram, but just because you have more RAM doesn't mean you're having increased preformance. using the money to upgrade the processor to a I7 or a Phenom X6 (to take advantage of the multi cores) or maybe an A8 processor. would yield MUCH "better" results then getting 4gb more ram. now maybe if he IS using applications to where he ABSOLUTELY needs 12gb+ ram (like video rendering) then sure, it WOULD be "better". but 8gb of ddr3 is still 30-50$ but he needs to be focusing on more then just his RAM if hes into video encoding and ps rendering. he should looking into getting a workstation video card meant for rendering video/pictures. which is obviously a lot more expensive then a regular video card. but he never said anything about video encoding and photoshop rendering. he said that he's doing game design, quite different things my brother.

17. only care enough to read like 1 sentence of your post, but i had thought you said you tell me what programs use that much ram, im not really paying attention to this as hard as you are bruh.

now like i said i didnt read your last post at all really, so dont expect this post to reply to you.

He is likely using programs such as Maya, which, when rendering work, will make as much usage as he can of the ram he has. Game developers who work with animation can often use multiple instances of the program. The more ram he has, the faster it is going to render a result. price is NOT an option with memory, you get as much as you believe the applications you are running will use. if price is a problem when it comes to ram then... lol idk what to tell you, dont build computers.

straight up, 12 gig is minimum for any decent desktop workstation using 3D programs and/or video rendering.

18. #19 Jumbo, Aug 12, 2012
    I dont get why you guys are fighting over 20$ worth of ram?

lol

dumb argument is dumb.

For real, just go all out on ram, its so damn cheap and dont even say its not. 16GB kits are easily available for 100$ or less, why the fuck not get it?

I would go with the i5 2500k before i went AMD ever. i7 is even better if you can afford it.

I would recommend a case that you really like also. you dont want to get a case, and a month later you are annoyed by how ugly it is lol. I know several people that did this and now they just have a ~80$ case in their closet... Get the case that catches your eyes, you will see it every fucking day lol.

id say more but dont want to make a huge post... ask some questions you will get answers and if nobody knows we will find it lol

19. ^you would go with a i5 before AMD ever. typical intel fanboy talk, lmao. and what if the person buying is on a budget and wants to spend the minimum possible? yea RAM is cheap enough where if you do need it..might as well because its cheap. but i'm a firm believer in spending only as much as you need. and to the thing about the case, who the hell gets annoyed by the way there case look, you must be pretty much a loser because its a damn chassis.

NowIsB you're a joke and you've made completely irrelevant points seeing that he's not even doing video encoding, using CS5, when i said what instances would he be using it.

k thanx bai ;)